Printing from XP to OSX shared printer

Posted by: PointBreak

Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/22/05 02:42 AM

I was helping a friend set up his network at home. He has a new iMac connected to DSL via a router and off the router he has 2 other windows machines also accessing the DSL. On the Mac he has a canon printer which he wants to share to the windows machines as well. I have gone though the procedure of enabling printer sharing on the Mac but then the instructions say that we have to configure the access to the printer via the XP network control panel. This for us is where it all falls apart. I use the network printer connection wizard and it fails to see the printer hanging off the Mac. Given the vague information I have supplied can anyone suggest something? Do I need to do more to enable the network to exist from the mac or windows side?<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/22/05 03:53 AM

It's tricky, but supposedly it can be done....I've gotten it to work once, with limited results:<br><br>In Panther, it works without any special work under the hood -- just switch on "Printer sharing" and "Windows sharing" in the Sharing preferences panel. In Windows, add a new network printer; you can find it by browsing. But now the important thing: When Windows asks to select a driver for the printer, select any PostScript driver like the Apple LaserWriter or Color LaserWriter instead of the printer model you're using.<br><br><br>

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/22/05 04:08 AM

Thanks Bryan thats where the problem is I think choosing the driver for it. I will give it another go and see what happens.<br>Chris<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/22/05 04:14 AM

No problem, here is where I got the info, if you'd like to research it further. There are a number of things you can try if that doesn't work. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/22/05 06:42 AM

I had to do what you're describing through the CUPS method. Give me a holler if Bryan's stuff doesn't work.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/22/05 05:00 PM

Thanks Pete<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/28/05 09:09 AM

I am going through a similar problem. XP sees the printer but won't print to it. I'll give Bryan's suggestions a try. I see on the OS X hints page there are several work arounds. Hopefully one of them will work.<br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 02/28/05 08:18 PM

If one of the PCs is close to the printer and the printer has USB and parallel connections, you may want to try connecting the PC directly. Results can be flaky though. With my old Epson 740, it worked great. With my Epson C84, printing from the Macs through USB worked fine but printing from the PC through parallel was dog slow. I've since moved the PC and connected the C84 only to it and it works fine now.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 03/02/05 08:18 AM

Dude, that totally worked! I chose the first Apple Laserwriter PS driver in the list in XP and walla. Worked like a charm. Now my 9 year old can print PS2 cheats to his heart's content. Thanks!!<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 03/02/05 08:29 AM

My XP machine never seems to 'see' the printer, so I felt like I had to go the CUPS route from the Mac side, and then basically I have to manually connect to the device from XP using the URL of the Mac.<br><br><br><br>[color:red]MLB, O&A - only on XM! Sign up now and drive up my stock...</font color=red>

Re: Printing from XP to OSX shared printer - 03/02/05 03:12 PM

Pete thats the problem we have the XP machine doesnt "see" any printers.<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com