Another Windows Emulator?

Posted by: Trog

Another Windows Emulator? - 01/29/04 06:32 PM

The Darwin project aims to port WINE to the Mac and use a stripped down Bochs for the X86 emulation. Bochs is notorious for being horrendously slow, but if its stripped down and running on my dual G5, I say bring it on! <br><br><br>

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/29/04 10:05 PM

Turns out the slashdot story was wrong (big shock), its not Bochs but something called QEMU. Unlike Bochs this thing is supposed to be pretty fast. So perhaps there will be something decent to compete with Microsoft's Virtual PC. Maybe.<br><br>Oh, and in case you've never heard of WINE, it would allow you to run Windows applications without Windows! I think that's the really exciting part.<br><br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 01/30/04 01:11 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 06:12 AM

The ongoing problem with ALL of the emulators for the Mac are that they are all too slow to use for serious day-in and day-out work. Plus, Virtual PC costs about the same as just getting a cheap E-Machines PC. There's really no point in dealing with the headaches of the emulator when you can get the real thing for a $100 or so more.<br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 07:04 AM

True, and while I'm no expert in anything to do with development, from what I've read this could be different. A couple things make this standout from Virtual PC. For one it wouldn't require Windows... at all! As a Mac user I'm not thrilled about paying for a Windows license on top of OSX. <br><br>Secondly, the emulator they want to use (QEMU) is supposedly 65 times faster than the most popular x86 emulator (Bochs). Of course that just means its 65 times faster than "slower than mud". <br>This thing is in an uphill battle, but I would sure love to see it succeed.<br><br>Something that would be great, but very unlikely to happen, is if Apple could take this open source project and help out. Unlikely, but wow that would be great.<br><br>I don't agree with you about the E-Machine solution for Mac users. I work both at work and at home and sometimes on the road. What, should I buy two Emachines, one for work and one at home? Or should I just carry two laptops, one crappy PC one with my Powerbook? Nah, getting a whole other machine just so you can occasionally open a few documents in some wacko program is not a good alternative. Its not so much about price, but rather convenience. <br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 11:13 AM

Do they give any idea on the time it will take to have a usable windows emulator running? <br><br>

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 11:39 AM

None. They are still looking for help for some parts of the project. <br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 01:40 PM

WINE Is a great emulator fir windows under Linux, this is how Lindows works.<br><br>Porting it over is a huge boon, to Mac users and Open source people.<br><br>

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 02:28 PM

Wine Is Not an Emulator <br><br>People are always saying it isn't an emulator (and thats where the name comes from), but I barely even know what their talking about. <br><br>So nutty, do you think this project will really pan out?<br><br>

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/30/04 02:33 PM

You should sign up for the project nutty! While we're at it get JC and any other programmers in too. <br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/31/04 09:45 AM

cant do open source, im endentured to a company :)<br><br>

Re: Another Windows Emulator? - 01/31/04 10:13 AM

Blast... Then force Apple to officially support/help/take over the project. <br><br>