are their any good webcams for os x/

Posted by: gnfnr2k

are their any good webcams for os x/ - 07/31/03 11:16 AM

I have seen a few in stores but they say they are not compadable with os x just os 9.<br><br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 07/31/03 11:20 AM

Um, is this a trick question...?<br><br>(iSight)<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: NeilMac

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 07/31/03 11:27 AM

I use an iFire which works well, but I gather that Apple's own iSight is the biz, if budget allows (it's expensive in the UK). I think you'll find that most USB or Firewire cams will work in OSX, but you're coming across the old mis-imformed masses whose creed is 'that doesn't work/isn't available' on a Mac. I stand to be corrected!<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 07/31/03 11:45 AM

USBs are less adaptable to X than are FireWire ones. however, the Logitech Pro 4000 (USB) does have drivers for X--and you can also make it work with iChatAV if you get the hack.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/01/03 08:19 PM

So I can just DL a driver and get that logitech one to work?<br><br>

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/01/03 08:46 PM

Yes. Go to this page to download the software. If you want to record with it, you can get Apple's free QuickTime Broadcaster here. You can set up the Broadcaster to "broadcast" to your own HD <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/02/03 10:57 AM

"... Logitech Pro 4000 (USB)... "<br><br>Should have mine on Tuesday - I'll let y'all know how it performs.<br><br>alec - OFI

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/02/03 11:39 AM

Mine works very well, Alec. Here's a screenshot (with Grab), taken with both window shades down and no artificial light in the room.<br><br><br><br>Such a handsome guy, too <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/02/03 12:30 PM

The Logitech Pro 4000 (USB) is the one they sell at best buy right?<br><br>

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/02/03 02:49 PM

I haven't been to BestBuy in a long long time, but I'm sure they must sell several different kinds of Logitech web cams. The 4000 Pro is the only one that has drivers for X, I think.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/02/03 07:18 PM

I thought you already had an iSight camera?<br><br>

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/02/03 08:53 PM

The iSight doesn't work well on my mom's machine, so I thought I'd get her the Logitech. If it works OK on one of my Frankenmacs, I'll get another for me.<br><br>alec - OFI

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/03/03 02:48 PM

I have had two kernal panics using the logetich so far.<br>I hope this cam is not going to keep crashng my computer.<br>I had my usb in the motior port now im trying the tower port on the mac.<br>I hope that will fix the problem.<br>Also can I take a snap shot with this cam?<br>
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/08/03 02:26 AM

I just bought a Sony MiniDV cam which apart from working a treat with iMovie it makes an awesome webcam! I guess at $1800 it is an expensive webcam but hey it is versatile!<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/08/03 06:20 AM

gnfnr2k,<br><br>Yes, you can take a snapshot by Command/click/drag to the icon window of your Buddy List.<br><br>I've been running the camera for a couple days without a problem. I have it connected to a PCI USB adapter card in my 8600/G4/400. It also works with HackTV from Apple... a nice little app for capturing QuickTime movies from the camera.<br><br>alec - OFI
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: are their any good webcams for os x/ - 08/08/03 09:51 AM

I was recently video conferencing with Mississauga and I can tell you that the image quality is pretty good, and the audio was fairly clear - although we both have cable modem service - which always helps, plus it was late at night when the internet traffic is much lighter.<br><br>
Posted by: docmacps

Re: Any good webcams for os x/ - 01/06/08 12:34 AM

In 2008, UVC compliant USB webcams are what to look for, they're directly supported under OS X Tiger 10.4.9+ and 10.5 Leopard (and Windows Vista for that matter. A short list of absolutely http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com USB cams are listed here. No webcam drivers needed, those listed are just plug and play for iChat, Yahoo Messenger, ISPQ and more.<br><br>