SSD killed the CPU upgrade?

Posted by: Jim_

SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/08/14 08:17 PM

For anyone in their right mind.

Every time I install an SSD I'm amazed. I wonder if the advent of SSDs being affordable has affected computer sales.

Today's fix. I have a client with a 2007 24" iMac on Mavericks who was having problems with Outlook especially. Outlook wouldn't launch, had the Database Daemon crash error, got a -36 error when trying to rebuild the database, or duplicating it manually. It also took 15 minutes or more to reboot the machine. Once it booted it ran fine, sans Outlook, Outlook wouldn't launch or rebuild.

Checking the Console, during the reboot it kept throwing up I/O errors for the main HD. It also reindexed the HD on every reboot which took about 45 minutes for only 130G.

Installed an SSD inside an Icy Dock. Installed Mavericks fresh onto the new SSD. Migrated his user, apps, and settings from Time Machine. Now, a 7 Y.O. computer screams. Outlook rebuilt just fine, and launches in 2 secs, like most apps. iPhoto used to take a long time, 3 secs now.

After a reboot the computer gets to the desktop, dock, and Menu bar icons in 30 secs max. A 7 Y.O. machine can even run Yosemite.

SSDs rule. cool
Posted by: steveg

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/09/14 02:33 AM

Just to pick on one element… I f'n hate Outlook. I hate Outlook w/a hateful hate. I so hatefully hate Outlook that I almost don't want to go into the office some days because I'm stuck with hatefully hateful Outlook (which I hate) at work. mad

But oh yah, baby, do I evah hear ya on the SSDs! LOVE! cool

BTW, did I mention how much I hate Outlook. I wishfully wish it would not launch on my work computer. tongue
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/09/14 04:21 AM

Hey... does anyone in here use Outlook?
Just wondering.. looks like a cool mail app.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/09/14 03:23 PM

Go fukketh thyself, ye hateful cur. tongue

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/09/14 07:31 PM

Yeah, Outlook sucks, but compared to Apple's ever changing and late to the party cloud permutations, Exchange was a decade + ahead in regards to syncing mail, contacts, calendars, notifications, reminders. Plus machines 10+ years old can still use it. Try using iCloud and its sync functions to its fullest on a version of OS X older than 3 years ago, Lion, much less a 10 Y.O. G5 machine.

Exchange was a business solution, which MS built its whole OS on. We can't fight that even if it is flaky. Job security I guess.

In regards to the SSD, the I/O error was a failing HD. The SSD rocks, and the Outlook database rebuilt in 4 minutes as compared to 25 and Outlook is stable finally.

Now if I could only transplant an SSD into me and add 20 years to my energy. laugh

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/10/14 01:53 AM

Quote:
Now if I could only transplant an SSD into me...
Heh. SSDs, STDs. Who's counting anyway? smirk
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/10/14 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_

Installed an SSD inside an IcyBox.
SSDs rule. cool

Googled Icybox...looks like not sold in US? Why not crack open the iMac and install it there?

Did you keep the internal HD and just put files on it?

I have a 2008 iMac and thinking of swapping out HD for a SSD drive, but it may be above my pay grade.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/10/14 10:54 AM

I think he meant this.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Icy%20Dock/MB882SP1S2B/

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/10/14 10:59 AM

I meant Icy Dock. Installed it in the iMac. Thx. I edited my post to reflect that.

There are other less expensive adapters, but this one puts the connectors in the right spot, the same as a 3.5", so the short cables on the iMac can reach it. Other Icy Docks have the connector more towards the middle.

Also if you do yours make sure you have some decent tape to tape the temperature sensor back down onto the Dock. SSDs run so cool it doesn't matter anyway, but there's a small spot where there's metal showing so I placed the sensor there.

It's not too difficult of a job, it took me about an hour for the install. There's YouTube videos on how to do it. The worst part is getting the tape off of the connector for the eyesight camera so you can get the aluminum bezel out of the way. Having an extra pair of hands makes it a little easier, so instead of having to totally remove the bezel and LCD someone can just hold them up while you swap hard drives.

Make sure you don't pinch the eyesight cable when you put the bezel back on. Just take your time, follow the directions, and make a note of what screws go where, the ones in the bezel are different lengths.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/10/14 11:02 AM

Yes I did. grin
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/10/14 07:35 PM

Thanks.

Not in the market yet for a new drive, but eventually I will be. Unless I decide to go the laptop route.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/24/14 07:16 PM

Instead of living vicariously through my customers and everyone else I finally installed a 512G Crucial in my 2009 mini. woW.

Running 10.9.4. I have a lot of stuff going on at startup, and haven't done a clean install since Leopard. Cloned this system over from a G4, to a Macbook Pro, to the 2009 mini. It used to take 3 minutes after a reboot until I got a dock, but it would still take a minute or so to launch what I clicked on. 5 minutes till all menu bar items were there.

That's down to 40 seconds till dock and launch in about 5 or 6 secs. 1 minute all menu bar items.

Everything launches in a matter of seconds. Mail and Safari launch in 2 secs. Parallels used to take almost 3 minutes to launch and Resume the virtual machine, 20 secs total now.

Breathed some new life into this old guy.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/26/14 05:11 PM

After a clean install of Mavericks it's 25 secs till Dock as compared to 40 with the dirty system.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/27/14 05:41 AM

The title was a play on the The Buggles.. right?

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 07/27/14 08:01 AM

ding ding ding smile

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 07:09 AM

It also seems like it's killed hard drive pricing. Amazon has a 1 TB Seagate for $53 shipped. A 3 TB is $101. crazy

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 10:29 AM

Links? I need some cheap, reliable back up drives.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 11:58 AM

Amazon has the 3 TB Seagate.

Clicker.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 02:20 PM

Good grief. I paid $120 for a 1TB only about a year ago (maybe a little more) and thought it was a darn good deal at the time.

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Amazon has the 3 TB Seagate.

Clicker.

OK...lol

1. I thought you had a specific model you liked... you just posted a link to ALL 161,364 Hard Drive hits.. thanks fer nuttin. laugh
2. What's with the generic no frills page?

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
1. I thought you had a specific model you liked...
The 3 TB Seagate I mentioned.

On an accident I cut off the end of the url, clicker 2.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: SSD killed the CPU upgrade? - 08/11/14 10:41 PM

Quote:
The 3 TB Seagate I mentioned.

It's just nuts the pricing on HDs these days -- almost like RAM has plummeted. I wonder what will drive the SSDs down? (Although even they've be dropping by themselves over the years as well) ...

Some amazing times we live in =)