iMac shutting down while away from computer

Posted by: John Rougeux

iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/13/14 04:05 PM

Recently my iMac has somehow turned off when I am away for a bit (not sure time length as I didn't notice).

Tapping on keyboard and mouse result in nothing. Have to hit the power button to turn it back on.

Could it be the power supply?

What can I do to check?
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/13/14 06:36 PM

OS? I've had a few sleeping problems with Mavericks that require a power button restart. I hear a woosh from the hard drive, kind of like it stalled…
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/13/14 06:41 PM

If you have the computer set to sleep after some time, that's probably what's causing the shut down. My machine was doing the same thing, and then restarting on its own because I'd set the preferences to do that in case of power failure. And then when I'd go to use the computer I'd get a message that there'd been a problem and did I want to report it to Apple. Since I set the preferences never to allow the computer to go to sleep, the problem has disappeared. The HD goes to sleep, as does the monitor, of course.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/13/14 07:27 PM

Make sure under Energy Saver preferences/Schedule it's not set to shutdown.

Shut down, unplug the power from it for about a minute, plug it back in. Wait about 10 seconds and reboot. This will reset the SMC on the logic board.

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/14/14 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
OS? I've had a few sleeping problems with Mavericks that require a power button restart. I hear a woosh from the hard drive, kind of like it stalled…

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/14/14 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
If you have the computer set to sleep after some time, that's probably what's causing the shut down. My machine was doing the same thing, and then restarting on its own because I'd set the preferences to do that in case of power failure. And then when I'd go to use the computer I'd get a message that there'd been a problem and did I want to report it to Apple. Since I set the preferences never to allow the computer to go to sleep, the problem has disappeared. The HD goes to sleep, as does the monitor, of course.

And to Jim:

First thing I checked was the Energy Prefs.

i'll try that SMC reset later on today.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/14/14 12:46 PM

You wouldn't by chance have an iMac with the full 32GB of RAM installed, would you? LOTS of people having kernel panicks and random shutdown issues with the fully loaded version of the 2013 iMac.

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/15/14 05:58 AM

Nope.

And so far hasn't happened again. Not sure how I can replicate the problem?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/15/14 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
And so far hasn't happened again. Not sure how I can replicate the problem?
Was that after the SMC reset?

Re: iMac shutting down while away from computer - 04/15/14 02:34 PM

Sorry, no reset.