What does this mean?

Posted by: yoyo52

What does this mean? - 03/17/14 09:05 PM

The old desktop keeps crashing on me. Here's the crash report. Anyone have any idea what it means? Open in new window naturally.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 03:17 AM

Post the text from the whole panic log.

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 05:24 AM

Or try this;

Pull out and reseat the RAM first.

Get memtest to test the RAM. Cluck here.

Unzip memtest.zip and copy the memtest binary to the top level of your HD. To run it boot to Single User mode, Command-S at startup, then type /memtest*all*4*-L. * = space. /memtest invokes the app, all tells it to test all available RAM, 4 tells it 4 passes, -L puts a log on the top level of the HD.

It takes quite a while to run all depending on how much RAM you have, and since it's in SU mode the fans will all run full blast. It should end up with no errors. If it say errors were found when it's done that's not good. If it locks the machine up it's not a good thing either.

If it tests OK with the above voodoo, when booted normally, double click the memtest binary, it will launch Terminal and run memtest. In SU mode the RAM caches in the processor are disabled, but are enabled booted normally. If it tests good in SU mode, but fails booted normally, a processor is more than likely bad.

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 08:01 AM

Oh boy. Thanks. I'll do all that today some time.

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 08:17 AM

What I should have said was pull out and reseat the RAM, if you're still getting the panics then run memtest.

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 07:28 PM

I was too stupid to check the System Profiler before I did anything, but after I'd reseated the RAM, I did open the Profiler and saw that one of the RAM sticks was not showing as installed. So I reopened and reseated them all, and now they all show up. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim.

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I was too stupid to check the System Profiler before I did anything, but after I'd reseated the RAM, I did open the Profiler and saw that one of the RAM sticks was not showing as installed. So I reopened and reseated them all, and now they all show up. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim.
Might be something as simple as dirt. Compressed air, and rub a stiff toothbrush through the sockets and over the RAM chip contacts.

You never know man. /Chong

Re: What does this mean? - 03/18/14 08:39 PM

Yeah--I cleared out a load of dust. So far so good.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What does this mean? - 03/19/14 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
[quote=yoyo52]I , and rub a stiff toothbrush through the sockets and over the RAM chip contacts.

huh-huh-huh-huh.