Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering

Posted by: ice2k

Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering - 01/18/14 01:18 AM

Hello, I will try and keep this as short as possible as I am currently on holiday away from my MBP and will unable to do anything with it until I return, but it is a bother knowing that it could be a serious issue.

The evening before flying out, my MBP all of a suddenly began to flicker to a black screen for a few secs and then return to normal, however the sound on my MBP was still working and the screen returned to normal before it would flicker again! I have tried a PRAM reset once and noticed that the boot screen would load fine, but the login and desktop screen would continue to flicker black and return to normal. It seems to have happened out of the blue and I am extremely frustrated that this has happened only now as my AppleCare expired just a month ago! Could this be. Software issue rather than a hardware one?

And has anyone had any experiences similar to this and have any ideas as to why this is happening?
I would like to also note that my battery is due for replacing and I am unsure as to whether the problem and the battery are interlinked?

Many thanks!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering - 01/18/14 04:52 AM

I would definitely replace the battery first.... just to rule that out.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering - 01/18/14 05:02 AM

Yeah, battery first. But you may also want to check Software Update or the Apple website to see if there's a firmware update that you may have missed. And then there's always the possibility that the video card is loose although that would generally cause boot problems, too.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering - 01/18/14 10:23 AM

A bad cable, bad connection on the video chip, or the inverter is going bad.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering - 01/18/14 01:19 PM

I'd like to add with it being intermittent I'd lean more towards a bad cable or video chip connection, with the video chip connection the thing I see the most as opposed to bad cables. that means logic board repair or replacement.

It could still be the inverter that powers the backlight, but those usually just go bad and stay that way, unless there's a flaky connection on one of the components on the inverter board..
Posted by: ice2k

Re: Problem: 2010 13" MBP screen flickering - 01/18/14 08:58 PM

Thanks for the helpful responses guys! I will try the above and let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks!