Apple TV owners

Posted by: MacBozo

Apple TV owners - 01/14/14 04:20 PM

Good deal? It's much cheaper than buying a new smart TV, especially since the refurb is $75 on the Apple Store.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/14/14 05:19 PM

I like mine. I especially like that I can use Airplay and view photos and vids from my iPhone right on the tv. After shooting vids of my daughter at soccer or whatever.. she can watch them on HDTV w/o having to transfer them to the Mac.
I give her the phone and she just plays the videos and scrolls thru the photos.

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/14/14 05:24 PM

What about access to programming, too. Just being curious about whether or not it would be a good investment that I would want to use regularly.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/14/14 06:25 PM

I love mine for all the reasons Nuc said, plus Netflix.
I've only bought one movie through iTunes (To Kill a Mockingbird), and the quality is excellent.
Although I'm glad they are adding more channels, it's going to end up a vast wasteland of things I don't want to watch.
Just like it's always been.

I'd wait until they introduce something new, but for $99, it's totally worth it.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/14/14 07:04 PM

I love mine too, for the reasons Curtis says. I've seen three or four movies through iTMS and have had only one glitch--rebooted the AppleTV and the glitch went away. Netflix on AppleTV is the cat's pjs. I really also like the Smithsonian channel. If you have a cable connection, you can watch network shows on the AppleTV too. PBS shows are free, but you get them after they've broadcast. The radio tuner is also good--and like Nuc says, airplay gives you access to whatever is on your computer. And set up is typically Apple. No sweat at all.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/14/14 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
What about access to programming, too. Just being curious about whether or not it would be a good investment that I would want to use regularly.
It does Hulu Plus, Netflix, and MLB.TV, which have a monthly charge though. It has HBO Go, requires HBO in you cable package to log in. It's not a TV tuner where you can pick up cable channels though.

Roku offers that and more though, Amazon streaming for instance, but the AppleTV integrates with your Apple products.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 04:01 AM

I like mine, but when my sister called me asking what can they do with theirs (they just bought one based on their son's recommendation), I told them that they should return it.

Reasons?
1) Movie rentals, while nice not to have to go out and hit the red box up, is expensive. While iTunes does carry more than red box, you can also use Netflix for that at a cheaper rate. Cheaper just to wait till they hit red box for newer movies.

2) She has DishTV (lives out in a small town) and so those channels offered on the AppleTV are wasted on them since you have to have a cable tv provider or be a subscriber to HBO.

I have an AppleTV but those TV channels are wasted on me cause I don't have any of the cable tv providers.

I rip my movies that I own and have them available on the AppleTV. So that's convenient.

Advantages of the AppleTV: the ability to stream your photos/videos/music from your iPhone or mac pretty easily.

The ROKU is VERY tempting because then you can hook up an external HD for expansion and play your movies/TV shows from there...if you were to say download them.

The AppleTV won't allow hooking up an external HD without jailbreaking them, which I don't know anyone that does.

Get it if you absolutely have to and you think you can justify the expense. But I don't recommend it unless you like spending money renting movies/tv shows.

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 04:05 AM

Good deal? It's much cheaper than buying a new smart TV, especially since the refurb is $75 on the Apple Store.

Just realized..smart tv? I wouldn't waste my money. My father in law has one and I'm totally unimpressed.

If you want to watch youtube on tv, then maybe you will like it. Otherwise, I would go with a "dumb" tv and the roku if you want that stuff.

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 07:32 AM

My daughter's new smart TV can access Netflix for one.

I suppose I'll stick with connecting my wife's Mini to our TV via the DVI/HDMI cable and sound cable I now have. Works quite well.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 07:33 AM

Quote:
I like mine, but when my sister called me asking what can they do with theirs (they just bought one based on their son's recommendation), I told them that they should return it.

I'd be interested to know if they already have something that will let them access Netflix and whatnot, or if your recommendation really is that the AppleTV is worse than nothing at all ;-)

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 10:08 AM

They have an iPad and not sure what else. I didn't say it was worse than nothing at all, I said for them it was something that they wouldn't use to it's full advantage.

If you buy something like an AppleTV JUST for the Netflix access then yeah, personally I think you are wasting your money.

And check out this article on Net Neutrality Quashed: New Pricing Schemes, Throttling, and Business Models to Follow

Might spell the end of Netflix. You probably won't see a change in the near future, but this allows internet providers to choose how fast your internet is based on the website. As in they can tell Netflix "Pay us money or we will slow you down".

Guess who will end up footing the bill?
Posted by: garyW

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux

Just realized..smart tv? I wouldn't waste my money. My father in law has one and I'm totally unimpressed.

If you want to watch youtube on tv, then maybe you will like it. Otherwise, I would go with a "dumb" tv and the roku if you want that stuff.

iPad and AppleTV via "airplay" makes youtube videos super simple ... I find it so much easier to use the youtube app and Vimeo on the iPad to find stuff then play it on the TV.

There must be an app that makes your iPad or iPhone a high-end remote
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 05:26 PM

“I am very disappointed by the decision made by the D.C. Court of Appeals and fear that the result will be an Internet no longer open to the free exchange of ideas and content.

“Whether you are rich, poor, young or old, the Internet allows all people to seek out information and communicate globally. We must not allow corporate interests to disrupt this free flow of ideas. This decision deals a blow to consumers and small businesses alike. When corporations are able to prioritize the information available to users, it stifles ideas and expression, as well as commerce and innovation.”

Senator Bernie Sanders

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/sanders-statement-on-verizon-v-fcc
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Apple TV owners - 01/15/14 10:07 PM

Amen.