Wireless mouse question

Posted by: MacBozo

Wireless mouse question - 12/28/13 06:43 PM

It seems there are not very many, nor good, corded mice around these days. Bluetooth mice are fairly pricey. The other wireless options I see are using a USB dongle and transmit on 2.4 GHz. Would that interfere with my 802.11g wireless network? Oh! The reason I'm asking is my wife has nearly killed another mouse. laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/29/13 02:58 AM

No interference. I've been using Logitech's wireless mice and keyboards with the Unifying Receiver (the USB dongle that connects both) for a bazillion years, and never experienced any kind of interference.

But I'll be honest, I'm happier every day with this here Magic Mouse.

That said, get her the Logitech M510. It's got a forward/back button in the left side of the body that makes web browsing a wee bit more efficient.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/29/13 07:49 AM

Thanks, Steve. I'll check into the M510. I was looking at the M310 or M325 - both on sale at Best Buy for $9.99 at the moment.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/29/13 09:03 AM

IMHO, all the Logitech mice are excellent (I even keep an older wired version in a drawer as an emergency backup). I use an M505 for my MBP (it's a more compact design so I can put it in my laptop sleeve without causing a big bulge).

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/30/13 06:15 PM

Well, the M310s and M325s were no longer on sale today, so we got the M510 for $20. Plug 'n' Play and it's working fine. (And, no, Logitech! We don't need your steenkeeng Control Center for it to work!) laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/30/13 07:54 PM

Looks like my LX8 except the two buttons are together on the left rather than one on each side.

Without the Control Panel the functionality is limited though, although the Logitech software may be flaky sometimes while setting up a new app it doesn't conflict. I've found I need to add an app first, not change any settings, close the control panel, then reopen to change settings or it sometimes may change some Global settings, also I make sure I only change settings for one app at a time. Once I get the buttons programmed I rarely need to change anything anyway.

The only hardware problem I've had with it is sometimes the OS forgets the mouse is hovering. In other words I can click the menu bar and get the drop down but the items won't highlight as I drag down, they can be clicked on though. When it does this I can't bring my dock up either since the OS doesn't realize that there is mouse hovering over it. To bring it back I either power the mouse down or unplug the dongle from the keyboard for a second.

Not a deal breaker at all IMO. With Lion the problem got a lot better, rarely happened, with ML I can't remember the last time it did it since upgrading. It may have happened once or twice.

I love the functionality it gives me with the 7 buttons though, and never really saw a mouse with all the buttons that wasn't too big in size or an uncomfortable shape. IMHO of course. The scroll wheel clicks down and right and left, 3 buttons and a scroll at you fingertip. For example for Quicktime I have FF, RW, Pause/Play, Full Screen on or off, Volume on scroll, Close Window, all at my fingertips.

I've been using a Logitech LX series for at least 7? years. With as much as I use mine they only last a couple of years or so though.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/31/13 03:24 AM

Great deal — that's like half off! Like Jim said, without the Control Center, you forfeit some functionality, but if it's nothing you need, you're set. I never experienced any of the glitches Jim described, and the Control Center also enables the Logitech solar wireless keyboard — all via one dongle (Unifying Receiver). But I've put my Apple extended keyboard back in service along with the Magic Mouse, so I cleaned out all the Logitech software.

BTW, the Apple keyboard is wired, but you'd never know it to look at it.

grin

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/31/13 06:03 AM

My wife doesn't use the extra functions - too much to remember. She rarely remembers that she can right-click. laugh

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/31/13 07:09 AM

In that case, may I suggest…

grin

Re: Wireless mouse question - 12/31/13 07:41 AM

Poifect! laugh
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/02/14 09:40 AM

With the arrival of my new iMac this past week, I've finally retired my Kensington TurboMouse trackball after a good decade or so run. I've gone with the MagicMouse, primarily because of gesture support.

As for keyboards, you can't beat Microsoft keyboards for comfort, but here again, I've decided to stick with Apple's wired keyboard. I would go with the wireless version, but I absolutely hate having the Function key down in the lower left corner where 30 years of use tells me the Control key should be.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/02/14 10:10 AM

I still don't understand why Apple did away with the numeric keypad on their keyboards. That's the one thing preventing me from getting their wireless model.

Belkin has a decent matching bluetooth numeric pad and there's a bracket that mates it to the keyboard, but it just feels like sticking sh‘t together with chewing gum.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/02/14 10:35 AM

Logitech has a nice solar powered keyboard, Logitech - K750. I think the receivers are universal, they call it a unifying receiver, so if you get one of their mice you don't have to have two receivers plugged in taking up two USB ports.

It comes in black or silver. It has the look and feel of Apple's, and the M705 mouse supposedly has a 3 year battery life.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/02/14 01:30 PM

I've had a K750 for a few years, and yah, the one dongle connects the mouse and keyboard. But I really wanted to unload the extra software and pref pane. The only drawback to the keyboard is no caps indicator — for which the remedy is a little app called Capster (puts an indicator in the menu bar and can interface with Growl or Notifications). But yet more software. crazy

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/04/14 04:20 PM

I actually found that I could live without the number keypad. But the placement of that damned FUNCTION key in the lower left is pretty much a deal-breaker for me unless I can force myself to learn to live with it when using the iMac.

As for 3rd party keyboards & mice, I refuse to use anything that isn't Bluetooth. I'm not wasting USB slots on a stupid dongle and installing some sh!t-for-brains driver software just so I can program a button.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/04/14 06:17 PM

Freakin' dongles.
I have 2 applications that require it, and I only have so many slots.
I'd like to think that USB hubs could fill the void, but I have a lot of problems with hubs.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/04/14 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I'm not wasting USB slots on a stupid dongle and installing some sh!t-for-brains driver software just so I can program a button.
It's not just one button, it's 7 of them, that add a ton of functionality to a mouse.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/04/14 07:47 PM

The dongle for my wife's new mouse is plugged in to the KB where the wired mouse was.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/04/14 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
The dongle for my wife's new mouse is plugged in to the KB where the wired mouse was.

blush

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/05/14 02:34 AM

James, you seem so… Angry! eek Are we seeing a new and dangerous social phenomenon? Like, [sinister music] DONGLE RAGE? [/sinister music]laugh

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/05/14 02:41 AM

I have an embarrassment of USB ports: Three on the back of my Mini, three on the back of my T-Bolt display, and one on each end of my wired KB. And not ONE of 'em is in use! shocked

Oh sure, there's the occasional thumb drive, and for the rare disk, I'll pull the USB SuperDrive out of the drawer and plug it in. But with the removal of the Logitech mouse and KB, even that solitary permanent USB appliance is history.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/05/14 07:45 AM

USB use for me

Plugged in to Dell LCD Display:
• DSLR Camera Cable (permanently plugged in)
• iPhone Lightning Cable (permanently plugged in)

Plugged in to iMac
• USB connection cable from the Thunderbolt to Dual-Link DVI cable connecting the Dell monitor)
• Apple Keyboard (permanently plugged in)
• SuperDrive (permanently plugged in)
• USB Hub (permanently plugged in)

Plugged I plug in to the USB Hub:
• External HD (permanently plugged in)
• External microphone
• External HD for monthly backups

I don't plug things into the keyboard USB ports because I have the Bluethooth Magic Pad on one side and the Magic Mouse on the other.

I've had cord rage for years. I hate the cable clutter under the desk. I've gone wireless for the mouse and printers, and that has helped immensely.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/05/14 08:10 AM

I hear ya on the cable rage. Wherever I do have cables running (modems & router power and connection cables, MFC, etc. ) I use wall-mounted cable-keepers and in some cases, long cables are coiled and banded. Printing and scanning are wireless.

On my desktop, the T-Bolt display has a built-in mic and decent speakers, so I don't need any extra hardware for audio. My external HD is an OWC MiniStack, so all I need there is power and a very short FireWire 800 cable. And I drilled a cable port in the desk top for the keyboard so that's out of site. The Mini has a built in SD slot (and I don't do any tethered shooting) so I don't need a camera cable either.
But I can remember a few years ago when every built-in USB port plus a 7-port hub were maxxed out! eek
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/06/14 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Freakin' dongles.
I have 2 applications that require it, and I only have so many slots.
I'd like to think that USB hubs could fill the void, but I have a lot of problems with hubs.

Another case for the Mac Pro tower (previous versions). 2 on the front.. 3 on the back.
Apple monitor has 2 on the back.
Apple KB has 2 low power on the back.
9 USB ports.. and I still have to swap sh!t out sometimes...lol.

Re: Wireless mouse question - 01/06/14 05:27 AM

Oops, I forgot to mention the two on the back of my MiniStax external drive. That makes 10 USB ports that are all presently unused. And I'm not even counting the other 6 btwn my router and cable and phone modems!

Hey, I'll lease you a few at a good rate! laugh