Something's amiss

Posted by: KateSorensen

Something's amiss - 12/22/13 02:04 PM

I repaired permissions today and got a message I am not familiar with. Should I be concerned or do anything about it?

"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired"

I got it both using Disk Utility and OnyX.

tia

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Something's amiss - 12/22/13 02:59 PM

Don't worry about it, it's been around since something like 10.4 or 10.5. Notice it doesn't say cannot be repaired but says will not be repaired. There used to be a lot of those type of messages showing up, but Apple has filtered most of them out over the years. They usually come up because of a security update.

Disk Utility first looks for what permissions were on a file when it was installed. If it is different they will repair it, unless the permissions were modified after installation for a reason, then it will not repair it.
Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified
Its permissions were modified by Apple for security purposes after its initial installation.
Quote:
and will not be repaired
In other words, since this file was modified by Apple after its initial installation we do not need to repair it. That would be more intuitive than will not repair it IMO.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Something's amiss - 12/22/13 03:10 PM

I see that often. The last time, my house burned down and my horse ran away with my gal. cry

Re: Something's amiss - 12/22/13 03:38 PM

From the horsey's mouth.

Re: Something's amiss - 12/22/13 03:39 PM

Funny, but don't quit your day job.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Something's amiss - 12/22/13 07:30 PM

Okay and tuvm

Posted by: steveg

Re: Something's amiss - 12/23/13 02:45 AM

I'll include that on that Safe to Ignore list.

*nyuk nyuk nyuk woowoowoowoowowoo*