New MBAs 10.8, n

Posted by: yoyo52

New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 09:41 AM

I bought my wife an MBA to replace her MBP, now over four years old. It's going to be a Christmas gift, but I set it up today so that she doesn't have to hassle with it (she's not into hassling with computers--trust me!). Anyway, it turns out that the computer has 10.8, not 10.9 installed. Strange!
Posted by: steveg

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 11:57 AM

See? Even Apple thinks Mavericks sucks. eek

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 12:05 PM

Did I post this to the Soapbox? Didna mean to!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 02:21 PM

Threadapult!!

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 02:42 PM

Thanks, Jim.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 08:55 PM

It's boring without all the kitchen spam.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/19/13 09:08 PM

I've got a couple of problems with the new MBA. First, I can't get the software update to work. It gives me a Cannot connect to the app store and then An internet connection is required. But there is an internet connection!

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 02:31 AM

I've seen that a time or two. Power-cycling your modem & router and then rebooting usually fixes it.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 07:22 AM

was this new or refurb?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 07:37 AM

Did you put 10.9 on it or leave 10.8?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 07:50 AM

It's new, and still running 10.8. I tried the modem/router reboot and that didn't work. I set up the new machine from her old laptop, using the TimeMachine backup. Now, her old machine was on 10.6. Could the preference file for the old computer be responsible for the problem?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 08:28 AM

Weird. My refurb MBA arrives today. I'll check to see what is installed on it.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 09:36 AM

That could very well be your problem. Delete the SU cache (User/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate) and the pref file (com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist), and reboot.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 10:04 AM

mine just arrived and it has 10.8.4 installed on it

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 10:04 AM

That didn't work either. But you gave me an idea. I'll set up a new user account and see what happens.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 10:09 AM

Well, that didn't work either.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
It's new, and still running 10.8. I tried the modem/router reboot and that didn't work. I set up the new machine from her old laptop, using the TimeMachine backup. Now, her old machine was on 10.6. Could the preference file for the old computer be responsible for the problem?

What all did you "set up from the old laptop"?

I can see dragging apps and documents, but unless you changed anything in the library folder, I can't see how it would affect your internet connection.

Or is it just the App store?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 11:23 AM

I used the migration assistant and everything got transferred--even the MS software didn't need to have serial numbers put in.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 11:32 AM

So is it just your Software Update not working or the internet in general?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 11:42 AM

Internet is fine--it's just the SU.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 02:23 PM

Sounds like this.

http://b.rthr.me/wp/?p=356

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 03:22 PM

First thing to try is downloading the 10.8.5 Combo update and running it.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 03:25 PM

Could the preference file for the old computer be responsible for the problem?
Well maybe the first thing too is to delete all Locations in Network preferences and start over. You may have to make a new one before deleting them all.

If it's not on 10.8.5 do that first though.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 03:51 PM

I had a long chat with Apple help and went through every possible solution. No luck. So the very nice woman told me to do what I'd been resisting doing--reinstalling the system. That's what I'm doing right now.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 03:52 PM

Wish I'd seen your link first, Nuc. frown

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 04:22 PM

I had a long chat with Apple help and went through every possible solution. No luck. So the very nice woman told me to do what I'd been resisting doing--reinstalling the system. That's what I'm doing right now.
Going to try the migrate again? I would, just don't choose to transfer Settings.

The need to know beanie cap in me would consider the same full migration you did before, just because. Although I also would have imaged the installer to a bootable USB stick so I didn't have to download it every install. grin

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 05:04 PM

So back up and still can't connect. Sigh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 05:21 PM

Try my link?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 05:44 PM

Why not just do a clean install and install the programs you need? Whenever I get a new mac, that's what I do. I just like to start clean & fresh. laugh

If you did Migratory assistant again, then obviously something is messed up there.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 05:55 PM

Yes I did--no joy that way either, I'm sorry to say. So I'm wiping the HD and starting over from scratch. This time I'll migrate from the old computer after I've set up the system.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/20/13 08:16 PM

So after wiping the drive and reinstalling, everything seems to be hunky dory. What a PITA!

I'm migrating stuff from the old computer now--leaving out network settings. I hope that doesn't screw things up.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 07:13 AM

Back at square one. I'm going to wipe and reinstall one more time. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to see about replacing the machine.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 07:39 AM

Did you migrate stuff again?

Just wondering how you are installing again? Do new MBA's come with the OS on a flash drive?

Should have went with a refurb like mine. Runs perfectly. Course I didn't migrate anything...

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 07:55 AM

Back at square one. I'm going to wipe and reinstall one more time. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to see about replacing the machine.
So it seems that the migration breaks it even though you did not transfer any settings?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 09:15 AM

Right, Jim. I can't imagine what's getting moved over that breaks it. On the other hand, even before I migrated stuff over, opening the App Store app gave me a no internet statement. Putzing around with the menu bar choices then led to a connection. But then after migrating even that didn't work.

Ever since Lion, I think it is, the OS sets up a recovery partition on the HD, John. You can get access to it by starting up while you hold down command-R. From there you can wipe and reinstall, either from the recovery partition or from the mothership. I'm doing a mothership reinstall this time in case there's something wrong with the recovery partition. (Is that possible, Jim?)

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 09:41 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, even before I migrated stuff over, opening the App Store app gave me a no internet statement.
That isn't very encouraging, is it? Like before, you were able to access the internet at that point, just not SU?
I'm doing a mothership reinstall this time in case there's something wrong with the recovery partition. (Is that possible, Jim?)
Not sure what you mean by the mothership. When you boot from the recovery partition it downloads a new installer, but you can't wipe the recovery partition as you are booted from it.

You can make a bootable USB stick that has the installer on it that will then let you repartition the HD so you can wipe the recovery partition. When installing the OS it will make a new partition.

Do you have a copy of the Mountain Lion installer laying around?

Not sure why the recovery partition would affect anything, but at this point I would want to wipe the whole drive too as one last ditch effort.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 09:46 AM

You can download this and make a simple USB boot stick that doesn't have the installer. You can wipe all partitions. Don't just do an Erase, do Partition and under Current scheme choose 1 Partition. When you reinstall it will download a new installer and make a new recovery partition on the internal drive.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 10:06 AM

There are many Googly hits with the steps to making a bootable OS X drive, but you can also use this easy app http://liondiskmaker.com to make a USB boot device with the installer on it, as long as you have the installer already downloaded.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 10:11 AM

I have the original version of Mt. Lion downloader, which I saved from way back when. I tried to use that to reinstall, but the computer wouldn't let me use it--not compatible with the machine, it said. That's weird, since the computer came with Mt. Lion installed. It is 10.8.5, however, rather than the original 10.8.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 10:30 AM

At this point, I'd be real suspicious of that particular machine. Send it back and let Apple send you a new machine with a current OS installed.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 10:39 AM

I have the original version of Mt. Lion downloader, which I saved from way back when. I tried to use that to reinstall, but the computer wouldn't let me use it--not compatible with the machine, it said. That's weird, since the computer came with Mt. Lion installed. It is 10.8.5, however, rather than the original 10.8.
Apple is picky about incremental versions. You would need a 10.8.5 installer. You could download it again using the new MBA to get a 10.8.5 installer.

I guess I kind of understand the hardware/software integration, but I can boot Windows machines that are only a year or so old from an XP bootable DVD to do maintenance or recover files etc. Try booting a new Mac from a 10.3 DVD.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 02:16 PM

So this time everything seems to be going ok. I wiped and reinstalled, but instead of using the migration assistant to move files over, I did it all by hand. A real PITA, to be sure, but worth it. I'll see if it continues to be ok.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 03:03 PM

Good to hear. It's the classic FM

You didn't migrate settings, only for the one user, yet in a new user it was fubar. Another mystery of the holiday season. grin

Thank a God you didn't wait until Christmas day to do this, huh? That would have spoiled the Christmas spirit.

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 03:25 PM

I know. I was worrying that I'd have to do what Steve said, and get another machine. That would have been horrible, even if I could have gotten the exchange at the nearest Apple Store, which is in the Philly suburbs in one of the most horrible malls in the history of mallhood. I could see myself driving over there on Monday, in the middle of the pre-Christmas frenzy. No thanks!!

So, a Christmas miracle. I beeeleeeve!

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 03:38 PM

Does she know you have it or have you been able to keep it undercover?

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 06:14 PM

So, a Christmas miracle. I beeeleeeve!
Blasphemer, celebrating the holiday sans the belief. smirk

Re: New MBAs 10.8, n - 12/21/13 06:25 PM

She still doesn't know. I think.

And wachamean? I said I beeeleeeve!