WiFi Stuff

Posted by: KateSorensen

WiFi Stuff - 12/02/13 09:24 PM

Link I just read

Very interesting for me who does not really understand all this stuff.

Quote:
‘Microwave ovens can interfere with your Wi-Fi network.’

This one is no myth. A microwave oven can emit a tremendous amount of energy while heating up your leftover Chinese takeout.

Quote:
Mac OS X users can simply hold down the Option key while clicking the Wi-Fi icon in the upper-right corner of the menu bar. When you do, you’ll see many more details about your network: for example, the Ethernet standard that your network is using (802.11 a/b/n/ac), the channel that your router is on, the type of security that’s enabled, and the transmission rate and strength of your wireless signal via the RSSI (received signal strength indicator).

Some more stuff I found entertaining, like putting tinfoil on your Wi-Fi antennae. No kidding. It works!

Posted by: Jim_

Re: WiFi Stuff - 12/02/13 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
‘Microwave ovens can interfere with your Wi-Fi network.’

This one is no myth. A microwave oven can emit a tremendous amount of energy while heating up your leftover Chinese takeout.
15+ YO news. smirk So can portable phones that work in the 2.4Ghz range. Also wireless alarm systems. I've been through the alarm interference thing a few times.

A Dect 6.0 phone is best. Back "in the day" the ex could walk down the hall past my command central with the 2.4 Ghz and kill my wireless. If I had her change channels on the phone the wireless would come back.

From the article;
Quote:
The more wireless networks there are around you, the worse your Wi-Fi performance will be
That's why a router with 5Ghz n is beneficial. The majority of the networks are 2.4 Ghz, 5Ghz n is not near as common (commercial) plus the tech behind 5Ghz n punches through the interference.

Quote:
Mac OS X users can simply hold down the Option key while clicking the Wi-Fi icon in the upper-right corner of the menu bar. When you do, you’ll see many more details about your network: for example, the Ethernet standard that your network is using (802.11 a/b/n/ac), the channel that your router is on, the type of security that’s enabled, and the transmission rate and strength of your wireless signal via the RSSI (received signal strength indicator).
None of which means anything to 99 44/100% of the population. grin
Posted by: Jim_

Re: WiFi Stuff - 12/02/13 10:34 PM

To give you your props, you did post this in a tech forum. grin