My browser and email windows are inverted!

Posted by: steveg

My browser and email windows are inverted! - 11/27/13 10:14 AM

WTF??? confused

The WiFi receiver in my kid's BlueRay player is kinda weak, so I found a way to get the wireless router a little closer to her room. grin
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 11/27/13 10:26 AM

Did it work?

Here's another option - $40

I'm giving some serious thought to buying one for my house.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 11/27/13 10:41 AM

Hanging it from the ceiling worked. Funny how just a couple of feet can make a difference. But that D-Link is worth looking into. That's more like what the old A/P Express used to be (no modem connection needed).

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 11/28/13 04:09 AM

And my FireWire is sideways! eek

A while back it seemed that the FW800 port on my Mini had gone bad. No biggie, because the T-Bolt display has a port on the back.

Yesterday, while rearranging a few things on my desk, I discovered that when connecting the FW cable while the Mini is standing on its edge (I use one of those arch-shaped stands), the port is non-responsive. But if I plug the cable in while the Mini is sitting flat on the desk, the port is live even when I then place the Mini back in it's stand. And when I restart, the port remains hot!

It's as if there's a mercury switch on that port that prevents it from operating if it's powered up at a 90-degree angle. confused

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/09/13 11:45 AM

I just ordered one of these. I had a 20% Off promo code on top of the price markdown, so I got it for bubkis. My router is a dual band Belkin, so I figured a dual band extender of the same brand would make sense.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/09/13 02:55 PM

Hey Michael, just wanted to thank you for the heads up on the dlink.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/09/13 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Hey Michael, just wanted to thank you for the heads up on the dlink.

Yeah, thanks a lot. smirk

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/09/13 07:57 PM

LOLOLOLOL!
Michael? I want you to thank Jim.
I've thanked him enough for this month.
I'm exhausted.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/09/13 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I just ordered one of these. I had a 20% Off promo code on top of the price markdown, so I got it for bubkis. My router is a dual band Belkin, so I figured a dual band extender of the same brand would make sense.
I like the 5Ghz integration on that one. The D-link does wireless n, which helps punch through network congestion, (2.4 Ghz routers are more common along with 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, 2.4 Ghz alarm systems, and microwave oven interference) but it doesn't do the less common 5Ghz.

Although 5Ghz doesn't punch through walls as good as 2.4 Ghz.

I'm so confused.

This article although somewhat outdated does explain the differences between 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz technologies pretty well.

So if wireless interference is a problem, 5Ghz works better. If you have thick or many walls, 2.4Ghz is better.

They don't cover n vs g. n is faster than g, but it will only matter for your internet connection if you have a 50 Mbps or greater connection. The big difference for most users with n is computer to computer file transfer.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/09/13 08:02 PM

Quote:
I'm so confused.

YOU'RE confused?
That's it. I'm done.
Good night folks! Drive safe!

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/10/13 03:16 AM

Well, I'm-a gonna find out in a few days. I've got a little bit of both problems. My router has to punch through the front and back walls of a coat closet, the ceiling, and an upstairs wall to reach my daughter's room. Moving the router first from one end of my office to the other boosted the signal noticeably, and hanging it from the ceiling helped more. Plus there are as many as five other networks that my WiFi drop-down shows with 5x5 signals. So with luck, the dual-band extender will help overcome walls and congestion.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/10/13 05:20 AM

Since my router doesn't have that WPS button, I did some research on the manual setup procedure. It looked rather straightforward to me. Of course, I'm locked in 10.7.5 land here and I haven't purchased the product.....yet.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/10/13 07:33 AM

Yes, they are simple. You join the wireless network of the device, log in to the web interface, pick your main wireless network, name the extended network, give it a password. Reboot.

With Curtis we had to use the 192.168.x.x router address from network preferences as the http://dlinkap.local url wouldn't work though to access the web interface.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/10/13 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
192.168.x.x router address

That is what I would have chosen. smile

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/12/13 10:57 AM

So it came today. Took just a minute to set up, and my kiddo tells me she's got a steady 5x5 signal now. Kewl!

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/12/13 11:18 AM

Cool beans.

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/12/13 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Cool beans.
Pull my finger. shocked

Re: My browser and email windows are inverted! - 12/12/13 01:04 PM

Sure! What's the worst that could happen? sick wink