Help appreciated buying ext hard disc

Posted by: KateSorensen

Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 01:26 PM

I'm going to back up my childrens old Mac tower and need to buy a one or two gig ext hard drive.

Anyone know of any reliable, inexpensive buys? Thanks. Ethel

If not too much trouble would you email katesoren 1936 @ yahoo . com.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 01:27 PM

Is there a freebee app to backup?

Also want to make a bootable backup for them.

Tanks smile

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 01:50 PM

What operating system, that part is important. Go to the Apple menu, About This Mac. It will tell what version there.

If it's OS X then click on More Info, what is next to Model Identifier, probably something like PowerMac 5,1, is it one of the old towers made out of plastic that has the door on the side with the round latch that drops down? That is important also.

I take it you meant 1 or 2 terabyte drive? How much data is on the hard drive? Click on the hard drive and go up to File/Get Info.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 02:46 PM

Oh my goodness! The Mac guy said, "You can do all this to transfer over stuff to your new mini mac the kids got!" Yeh sure. One step at a time ethel. I'll go over to their home and get all that info and report back. smile

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
What operating system, that part is important. Go to the Apple menu, About This Mac. It will tell what version there.

If it's OS X then click on More Info, what is next to Model Identifier, probably something like PowerM ac 5,1, is it one of the old towers made out of plastic that has the door on the side with the round latch that drops down? That is important also.

I take it you meant 1 or 2 terabyte drive? How much data is on the hard drive? Click on the hard drive and go up to File/Get Info.

Yes terabyte

I forgot to click on the hard drive for info, but did take this shot:

As I recall, it has two hard drives but I don't know if they are both in the cheese grater case or one outside?

Also, it has an Apple display that looks old. Do you know if it will work with the mini mac?

It doesn't look like they have very much hard drive storage and I just remembered why. Husband does not back up his iPhone. He says Apple screwed him up when they tried to help him restore from backup once. Wife, my daughter, has an iPad but does not sync or back it up [ has a jillion pictures on it ] and has a digi camera that I'm not sure she backs up either. Being on their Mac and seeing the MESS just about made me burp,belch,tossup.

I think I should just do away with my Macs and become a PC person so no one will ask me to help with Mac problems. I am getting too old for this stuff. wink I'm feeling mighty low tonight. The sun will come up tomorrow.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 09:29 PM

This will be easy, you don't need an external drive to transfer stuff over, but it would be a good idea to get a portable external USB powered drive to use with TimeMachine after you get the mini up and running.

Start with the mini off.

Boot the old computer into Target Disk Mode, it's considered the Target.

Connect a Firewire 800 cable from the G5 to the mini, it doesn't come with the computer, you may need to get one.

If you are using the same keyboard and mouse for the mini, you can disconnect them from the G5 before booting the mini, and after booting the G5 to TDM. You can disconnect the monitor also after going TDM and connect it to the mini before powering up the mini.

After getting the keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up, boot the mini.

If it's a new mini, once you start the mini, there will be an option to transfer data from another mac.

If it already has been started at some point up and has a user, you can use Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder to transfer users and data from the G5.

When you connect the G5 in Target Disk Mode, the hard drives will show up on the mini like external drives.

What does the connector on the end of the monitor cable look like. If it's like on the left you will need an adapter, if it's like on the right there is already an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 10:15 PM

This will be easy, you don't need an external drive to transfer stuff over, but it would be a good idea to get a portable external USB powered drive to use with TimeMachine after you get the mini up and running.

Connect a Firewire 800 cable from the G5 to the mini, it doesn't come with the computer, you may need to get one.

If it's a new mini, once you start the mini, there will be an option to transfer data from another mac.

When you connect the G5 in Target Disk Mode, the hard drives will show up on the mini like external drives.

What does the connector on the end of the monitor cable look like. If it's like on the left you will need an adapter, if it's like on the right there is already an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box.

Well, that info is a relief!

Get a usb portable 1 terabyte drive.

I have a Firewire cable. Guess it is 800.

I'll check the monitor cable.

I may get this fixed before the new mini is released wink

You're a life-saver, Jim. Off to bed with me now.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/11/13 10:25 PM

FW 800 is on the left, you need a cable with one of those on each end. FW is 400 on the right, you don't need that.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/12/13 11:22 AM

FW 800 is on the left, you need a cable with one of those on each end. FW is 400 on the right, you don't need that.

Appears mine are fw400.

I looked to see if kids have an 800 fw plug in. NOT that I doubted the "master" but . . . wink Just to better help me understand what um doing.

Is the one my kids have?

Just ordered from newegg, usb one terabyte drive and 800fw cable.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/12/13 01:14 PM

That's the model. Under General/Model Identifier - PowerMac 7,2

You're getting there. cool Is the USB drive bus powered so you don't need to have another power brick to plug into the wall? They would probably call it a portable drive.

What about the monitor connection?

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/13/13 11:07 AM

Bus powered.

Haven't monitor info yet.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/24/13 01:22 PM

I have the firewire cable and new hard drive, My Passport WD 1TB.

Still procrastinating getting started.

Just wanted to update ya.

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/24/13 01:29 PM

I thought drjohn's cartoon suited me to a Tee so am reposting here under my procrastination.

Thanks Doc. smile

Posted by: drjohn

Re: Help appreciated buying ext hard disc - 09/24/13 10:26 PM

you're welcome!