Ethernet Ports fried?

Posted by: Mike

Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 03:42 AM

I'm 'pretty' sure the recent t-storms and the incredible 'light show' we experienced a few days ago have caused some damage to the ethernet ports on my iMac and my macMini.
I use surge protectors for both but they just aren't working like they used to. I connected a laptop to the internet via ethernet, and the lines/cables are fine. The I connected the laptop to both computers via ethernet cable for a file transfer eek and 'nada'. Thankfully I still have WiFi but I prefer the security of a hardwired connection.
Do those Apple 'USB-Ethernet' adapters work on my two machines, or are they strictly for MBAir?
Are there any other adapters that work?
Any advice is appreciated?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 05:41 AM

From what I understand they work fine with Leopard and above. The Trendnet TU2-ET-100 is much better built, and less expensive than the Apple though. It is plug-and-play with leopard and above also from what I understand. If you go to Amazon and it doesn't work you can just send them back.

Keep in mind these adapters are both only 10/100, no gigabit connection.

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 05:44 AM

Ok, thanks. I'll look into that.
From what I gathered it is darn expensive to get it repaired on Apple machines.
Running my 'Hardware Diagnostics DVD' resulted in 'No problems found', but I don't think it tests the ethernet ports, does it?

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 05:53 AM

New logic board.

You have tried plugging them right into the router correct? Checked your network settings?

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 05:56 AM

BTW surge protectors won't protect ethernet, unless they're specifically designed for that and have a port. The surge usually comes in through the cable or phone line, through the modem, then to the ethernet. There are also standalone ethernet surge protectors, but they require a connection with a ground wire. APC sells one.

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 07:19 AM

New logic board? Holy Schmitt! That'll cost as much as a new MacMini!

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
New logic board.

You have tried plugging them right into the router correct? Checked your network settings?

Yup, we've done that. I get the 'Not Connected' and 'Unplugged cable or device not working' message.

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Same with the iMac, the ethernet ports are built into the logic board.

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Same with the iMac, the ethernet ports are built into the logic board.

[Sigh] I guess it's WiFi only for a while...
Thanks!
The 'speeds' don't seem to have suffered.

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/23/13 05:43 PM

Great speeds, the ping seems high though IMO. If you don't online game it really doesn't matter.

I did one from Cinci and one from CA, The CA one had a longer ping but oddly faster speeds by a hair. I'm wireless too.

Who knows. crazy

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/24/13 02:29 AM

And this is with the (cheapo) company-supplied Arris telephony modem and Apple Time Capsule router.
But I must have connected to the company servers because the average 'download' speed is generally less than half that.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/24/13 04:05 AM

I'm wireless and have a ping that hovers around 80. I play CoD everyday/night and it doesn't seem to affect me much. I'm playing with people around the world and I am in the low end of what I see everyone else getting.

I'm good enough that a clan keeps asking me to join. Yeah... this old man...lol.. in a clan.
I might do it actually. They have been making overtures for about a year now.

Re: Ethernet Ports fried? - 07/25/13 07:57 AM

From what I understand they work fine with Leopard and above. The Trendnet TU2-ET-100 is much better built, and less expensive than the Apple though. It is plug-and-play with leopard and above also from what I understand. If you go to Amazon and it doesn't work you can just send them back.

Keep in mind these adapters are both only 10/100, no gigabit connection.

The Apple adapter works great on the MacMini!
Looks like we're back in 'ethernet' business!