Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/16/13 06:51 PM

On my early 2008 3.2ghz Mac Pro, I found out for the first time, my third and forth hard drive bays are not showing up. Since new I have had two 1TB drives and wanted to add a third.

It should have been a five minute upgrade. However, I never got a drive to show up in the third and forth bays. I was able to format the new drive in the second bay and works fine in the second bay. The known working older drives would not show up in the third or forth bay.

Looking online, I did find that sometimes the logic board connection for the drive bays will come loose. I ended up talking the fan and shield off and made sure the connections were tight. I think I had the right ones! However, I did check all connections but had no luck. I did find lots of dust and I probably needed to clean it out anyway (processors had nice dust bunnies).

I am wondering if they ever worked and maybe something was never connected new? Is there something else to check?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/16/13 07:14 PM

That is odd. It should just work.

It's not really complicated. Power and data lines connected. Check. You've done that.

I've seen some dusty crap, it would take a lot to make both bays not work.

In System Profiler does the drive show up?

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/16/13 07:31 PM

Kind of grasping for straws but zap PRAM, or reset SMC by unplugging power and everything from it for a minute?

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/16/13 11:03 PM

The drives do not show up in the System Profiler or Disk Utility. The buses for the the drive bays show up in the System Profiler though.

I am guessing I reset the SMC since it took me about 20 minutes to take the fan out to get to the logic board connections (did it in my workshop so it was unplugged). I will try zapping the PRAM.

The dust was mainly really piled up in the processor heat shrinks and not on the logic board but am glad I got it cleaned out so my work was not for all wasted.

I also have two DVD players:
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 07:06 AM

Open the tower and swap drives in "dead" bays into live bays and insure they are working drives.

Edit: Sry.. I see.. you never had drives in those bays. Could it be that the new drives are just not being recognized? Pull the 2 working drives and pop them into the "dead" bays and reboot.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:23 AM

I did try that and took the known good two drives from bays 1 and 2 are not seen in bays 3 and 4. The bus seems to show up in the profile though.

I was able to place the new hard drive in bay two and format it and it seemed to work okay in bay 2. It just seems that bays 3 and 4 and not seeing any drives.

I figured I would just use the drive in my old G4 Security Camera CPU with an SATA card...worked great but for some reason I could not get the new 1TB drive to act as a start up drive whereas a much smaller one would work....

If I cannot get the two bays working, I may just use it as a fresh new drive for the Mac Pro and use the old one in an external case for back-ups. My main purpose of the new drive was to act as a clone back-up in addition to Time Machine back-ups.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:51 AM

Try unplugging and replugging the SATA connector and the Hard Drive power. Could be a bad connection. I know you said you checked them... but did you reseat them?

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:54 AM

I actually unplugged them both and looked at the connectors and plugged them back in.

One item I noticed though is the third bay had a magic marker mark on it like someone noted something where as the other three did not. This was a BTO though.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:54 AM

Are these new drives you are trying? or possibly old drives formatted GUID?

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:57 AM

I just read that there is a MINI SAS on board the mobo... looks like this.. reseat that one too.

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/sff-8087/

===

Are there connectors on the back of the bays... or are they hardwired in?

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:58 AM

It was this drive that I picked up for $50 on sale. It is a 6.0 and not 3 but it did work fine in bay two hence being able to format it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...ntent-_-text-_-

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 09:59 AM

Can you swap connectors on the mobo from the working ones to the non-working ones to see if its a mobo issue... or the bays?
Seems unlike two bays would go out... right next to each other... either a connection... or a bad mobo?

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 10:03 AM

If all of the cables are tight on both the logic board end and the where the drive sleds plug in from what I've been reading it's a bad logic board, they call it the backplane board too.

It seems like a common problem.

You can get an internal SATA card for around $30, Rocket620A. Macmall has them so they are OS X compatible, but OWC has them cheaper. I don't know if the wiring you have can be re-routed or if you can use the cables that come with it to attach to the back of the sled holder. Supposedly this one works in a Mac Pro. Not sure if it's bootable tough.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 10:31 AM

I did not even think about SATA card! I have one in my QuickSilver that may work in the PCI Express slot.

The hard drives slide into the connectors on the logic board though. I will have to look and see I can turn the hard drive around and have the connections from the card.

Here is an image of what the logic board connection looks like (ODD-the two connectors on the upper right hand side. There are just two so I am guessing each one is for two bays. I did not try switching them...have to take the fan out for that.)

Here is where the HD sled slides in. On the blue circuit board on my third bay there is a magic marker mark:

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 11:53 AM

The Quicksilver card won't work. I'm also wondering about how you'll get power to the drives. The connectors on the PCI E card are for data.

Instead of having to turn the hard drives around backwards, I wonder if you can remove the two screws on the connectors at the end of the sled holder. Do those cables come off, or are they soldered into that connector.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 11:55 AM

BTW the card comes with data cables, I don't believe it comes with power cables.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 12:29 PM

The power is a good question. The QuickSilver card has a data and a power cable. The power cable connected to the old style IDE power connector. It looks the newer cards have the place for the data and power cable. I know for the external PCI card, I am thinking the data for the newer cards would plug into the logic board from on the two empty connectors marked ODD_SATA. The other two empty connectors to their right is were my video card power plugs in.

I am not sure what is behind the connectors for the sled.

Another card:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXPCIE6G2S2O/

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 12:55 PM

That card is external SATA only, eSATA

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 01:03 PM

ah...yes it is...just assumed.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 01:07 PM

ODD = Optical Disc Drive. From what I've read it will work with HDs, but they are not bootable is all.

So if you could get power to the 3rd HD, along with a SATA data cable on one of the ODD SATA connectors you may not need a card.

Will the cable from the 3rd sled running to the logic board stretch to the ODD SATA connector? I wonder if the SATA connector is bad on the board, or if it's not getting power to the drive, can you hear the new drive spin up or see a light on it?

Maybe get SATA data and/or power extension cables?

Just some thoughts.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 01:20 PM

I am not sure if it will fit. I think I will first try and swap the connectors on the logic board around and see what happens.

I am not sure if the ODD SATA connector is the same. I am guessing that the drive connections are the two above the ODD SATA connectors.

The hard drives would not power on...no noise, light, etc.

The sled connections does not have a normal data and power connection so power would need to come from somewhere else.

Some good thoughts.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
I am not sure if the ODD SATA connector is the same. I am guessing that the drive connections are the two above the ODD SATA connectors.
The ODD SATA connectors are data connectors in case the machine came with SATA optical drives. That machine has 6 SATA busses.

Unscrew the plug at the back of the drive sled to make room and run a power cable and data cable to the drive.

You can get a Y connector for the power to the optical drive/s, and off of one leg go to a SATA power adapter, with the data cable going to either the 3rd or 4th bay SATA data connector or one of the ODD SATA connectors.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 03:35 PM

It appears I was able to fix it on my second attempt.

The third drive is showing up now:

What I found was there was one pin in the power supply female connector that was smashed and was not plugging into the male logic board socket. I would suspect it was like this since new.

I found it when I unplugged the connector and started untwisting the wires to check things out...not a great photo:

Luckily, the connectors are like my motorcycle's and I had a small pin like tool that helped re-open up the female terminal.

I was more focused on the data connectors before but this is where the power supply for the hard drives are:

Thanks for the help Jim and G4...the suggestions got me thinking and willing to go back in as I was going to probably just get an enclosure.

Oh, I figured I could pull power from an USB card as it has the old 4 pin connector and use a SATA data cable to the logic board if needed.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 03:58 PM

cool Glad that's all it was.

Sometimes you just have to get in and f with it. grin

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 04:20 PM

Sweet!
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/17/13 05:53 PM

Geek.
Nerd.

Glad you figured it out!

(I really miss my G5 MacPro)

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/21/13 01:07 PM

Just curious, does the 4th bay work now, wondering if it was the same connector for both.

Re: Third and Forth Hard Drive Bays Not Showing Up - 07/24/13 06:39 PM

Yes, both the bays now work although I just am using the three bays. The new drive has been working as it should since the connector repair.