The new Mac Pro

Posted by: John Rougeux

The new Mac Pro - 07/12/13 06:18 AM

Wow, no discussion about this new fangled Mac Pro coming out? Where's Topper/Clark?!

Personally I think it's a "ohhh, shiny object neat-o!" computer that will never see my house. Who knows how much this thing will cost.
And I'm not really sure about all things external. One of the things I dislike about this iMac I have is that if I want Time Machine, external. If I want extra HD space, external. And with only 3 USB ports on mine, it sucks. But this thing has Lightning 2 ports, which are nice.

But if I had the $$ I think I would be tempted to pick one up.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: The new Mac Pro - 07/12/13 07:23 AM

We talked about it a little here.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 07/12/13 07:26 AM

Ah ok. Thought it might be in hardware. wink

Re: The new Mac Pro - 07/12/13 07:39 AM

We talked about the new OS, iOS7, the MacPro, so where would that post go? It was an olio of things we sat around at the bar talking about so I left it in the Lounge.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 07/12/13 07:40 AM

Oh I know.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The new Mac Pro - 07/12/13 09:02 AM

The success of this will depend entirely on how it's priced -- if they make it reasonably affordable (read, in-line with the current Mac Pros) it might do pretty well; if they price it any more than that it'll be the new Cube: an interesting lark but not really worth the cost ...

Mainly, I'm wondering if the graphics cards will be replaceable --- that technology seems to advance so rapidly that I could see a need to replace those before needing to buy an entirely new machine ...

But in my line of work, the ridiculously small enclosure + graphics and processing oomph look really attractive. We'll see if Apple prices it out of reach, though ...

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/27/13 07:52 PM

The video cards:
Quote:
Not only does it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them. With all that power, you’ll be able to do things like seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background — and still have enough power to connect up to three high-resolution 4K displays.

Doesn't say anything about upgradability so I bet you can't. I bet the price is $$$$
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/28/13 03:55 AM

Is this on your wish list this year John?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/28/13 09:09 AM

There are two graphics cards in the new MacPro, neither are upgradable... at least, according to initial reports.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/28/13 10:11 AM

Even if they were never upgradeable.. that's not a huge deal breaker for me. I used to upgrade vid cards often... but not anymore. The card I have now in my MP is the stock card. Granted, I upped it on order to the better version... but still... these cards look to be very sufficient for a long time.

Quote:
Not only does it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them. With all that power, you’ll be able to do things like seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background — and still have enough power to connect up to three high-resolution 4K displays.

Up to 12 GBs of Vram.... cool
Heaven forbid we should have to rely on the 12 core CPUs or the Ram for any lifting... laugh

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/28/13 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Is this on your wish list this year John?

Nope. They look really cool but until I get a job, I won't be upgrading anything any time soon

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/28/13 10:48 AM

Playing in theatres now in the previews...

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/29/13 08:32 PM

We'll see what it turns out to be ... it will *all* depend on price ...

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/30/13 04:42 AM

Not a very good advantage towards the consumer by doing this.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/30/13 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
We'll see what it turns out to be ... it will *all* depend on price ...

I don't see any way that it can even be at the same price point as previous Mac Pros. The Xeon chip is about a grand. And custom tech on the graphics cards... TB2 ports... etc. It'll be 3 Grand on the low end is my bet.
Or maybe there will be a 2500.00 option with only 1 vid card.. if that's even possible.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/30/13 08:12 AM

Well, who knows what Apple gets in volume pricing for things like chips, cards, etc. And the price will also depend on their markup -- Apple is known for their horrendously large margins, but this *could* be a winner if they decided to shave a something off. I won't go as far to say a loss-leader, since with the Mac Pro there really isn't any synergy with other Apple products like there are with the iProducts, but maybe they'll try more for volume with this and price appropriately. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what their philosophy this time around will be ...

Back in The Day™ I always judged a new Mac tower kitted out the way *you* wanted it would set you back $5,000. That estimation later lowered to $3,000 with the newer generations of Mac Pros ... so I'm thinking a reasonably-tricked-out model at $3,000 will be a relative winner. A base model in the low $2,000s could be a hit. $5,000 will kill it dead, just like the cube: neat tech but overpriced ...

Re: The new Mac Pro - 08/30/13 08:26 AM

Now comes the hard part....
If it is within my reach financially... do I plunk the money down and become an early adopter?
This has hurt me before when items had technical/hardware issues initially.
Have to weigh that against my "want it now" fever. smile

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/01/13 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Not a very good advantage towards the consumer by doing this.
The MacPro isn't for the average consumer, thus the name 'Pro.'

With that much video power built-in, it's going to be years and years before software tech comes along that requires more. By then, most pros are upgrading anyway.

Remember, there's a wide gap between 'want' and 'need.' And many users (especially pros) think they 'need' a lot of things that they really do not.

If you need evidence of this, look no further than the iPhone.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/01/13 08:32 AM

Quote:

??

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/01/13 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
And many users (especially pros) think they 'need' a lot of things that they really do not.

If you need evidence of this, look no further than the entire basis of western consumer economics.

Fixed ;-)

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/02/13 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Quote:

??

I mean, when the iPhone was introduced, a whole lot of business (pro) users claimed it would fail because:
It didn't have a user replaceable battery
It didn't have a physical keyboard
It didn't have secure email
It didn't have apps
It didn't have a secure/proprietary messaging system

Turns out, a whole lot of those features were either unnecessary, or the importance of them over-estimated (at the time).

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/02/13 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
And many users (especially pros) think they 'need' a lot of things that they really do not.

If you need evidence of this, look no further than the entire basis of western consumer economics.

Fixed ;-)

Good point, Six!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/04/13 04:40 PM

The last "Pro" Mac I had was the G4 tower. At the time, it was the only game in town for the "features" I needed. My aging Mini is more computer than that G4 was. My next upgrade will be one of need (when this one fails) rather than want, and it will be another Mini (or, maybe, an Air). My aging eyes probably will want my current 19" screen real estate though.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/04/13 08:41 PM

I love my new MBA. It's the best laptop, maybe the best computer I've ever had. It's an 11" one, and I thought I'd have a hard time with that size, but I haven't. When I'm in my office I connect it to a 24" external monitor. When I disconnect it from the external sometimes the video takes a while to reconcile itself to the smaller screen, and I guess that's the only complaint I have about the Air. But that corrects itself pretty quickly and everything is fine and dandy. It's fast. It's super light and compact. I love it!

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/09/13 06:58 PM

I really like my MBAir 13" - but LOVE my 27" iMac. Glad I held out on replacing the old MacPro with it instead of getting another tower.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/09/13 07:10 PM

I hate that Apple teased everyone with a new MacPro, and we are still waiting for delivery.
Do not like announcements without availability.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/09/13 08:37 PM

I really like my MBAir 13" - but LOVE my 27" iMac. Glad I held out on replacing the old MacPro with it instead of getting another tower.
Yeah, the mini and the iMacs are so damn fast, unless one is doing serious video or 3D the MacPros are total overkill. I'm almost surprised they've put so much R&D into them since the consumer market seems to be their money maker as opposed to the pro market.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/09/13 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'm almost surprised they've put so much R&D into them since the consumer market seems to be their money maker as opposed to the pro market.

Probably because:

a) the pro market still makes them money, and

b) there still is a pro market that needs to be satisfied. The question there is wether Apple is willing to abandon that market completely and cede whatever profits there are to be made to other companies (because, profit-maximization or not, there will always be a pro market. Someone will make money catering to that segment) ...

The pricing of the new Pro will decide wether Apple is serious about that market or just trying to bleed it dry before leaving ...

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/10/13 03:35 AM

Do you have a SSD in there?

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/10/13 03:59 AM

All new Airs come with SSD...have been from the intro of the 11" I believe

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/10/13 04:14 AM

Quote:
unless one is doing serious video or 3D the MacPros are total overkill.

Disagree on that one. My iMac 27" vid card suffers lag on generating previews when processing files.
It's something I have learned to live with... but it's a pain.
And I'm not even one of those guys with a really hi res camera like 30-60 MPs... I'm only talking 22 MPs here.
I am interested in another option though which is an iMac with TB and get an external card that is more powerful.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The new Mac Pro - 09/10/13 07:40 AM

What John said.

Re: The new Mac Pro - 10/22/13 10:39 AM

Mac Pro: Starts at $2999. 3.7GHz quad-core Xeon, 12GB DRAM, Dual FirePro D300, 2GB VRAM each, 256GB SSD

Re: The new Mac Pro - 10/22/13 10:49 AM

(1:40pm)

Schiller introduces the new MacPro line of desktops, including a move away from hard drive based storage. All internal storage will now be strictly flash-memory based, up to 1TB of storage available internally. Along with getting away from HDD failures, it speeds the read-write so much faster than traditional disk-based storage.

(1:45pm)

The new MacPro will start at $2,999, is cylindrical in shape, and offers six Thunderbolt 2 connections, 3 USB 3.0 ports, dual Gigabit net connectons, and HDMI out. Will be available before the end of the year.

Internally updates include the latest quad, 6-, 8-, and 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, up to 64GB of RAM, dual AMD FirePro graphics chips with up to 6GB of dedicated memory, and up to 1TB of far faster PCI Express solid state storage (that's that Flash memory again).