iMac crashing

Posted by: padmavyuha

iMac crashing - 07/08/13 10:26 AM

This has only happened since I updated to Mountain Lion. The firs two times it happened, I came back to a black screen, with occasional audible hard drive activity, and couldn't make anything happen until I just shut it down and rebooted. This afternoon, it froze with a visible screen - except I could move the mouse around on the screen. Very weird, the screen froze at around 2.30 this afternoon, but there's an endless array of kernal entries in the console, starting around 10 minutes before I found the computer locked (which presumably just means that the log got cut off before that point). I have no idea where to go in the logs to see if I can find out what's causing this.

Any suggestions?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iMac crashing - 07/08/13 10:52 AM

May be bad RAM.

Try this, last post in the thread.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: iMac crashing - 07/09/13 12:08 PM

Ah, it seems to be an app that's causing it. The current version of LibreOffice is causing a loop somewhere, and quitting it fixes this. I'm guessing after a certain point, the OS gives up, because I managed to interrupt this before the mac froze.

Re: iMac crashing - 07/09/13 12:16 PM

Wow, it's really weird that an application would have that much affect on the OS, there must be some really crappy coding in it. Have you ever tried Open Office?
Posted by: steveg

Re: iMac crashing - 07/09/13 12:43 PM

Any special fonts associated with that app. A bad font can wreak havoc on a system.

Re: iMac crashing - 07/09/13 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Any special fonts associated with that app. A bad font can wreak havoc on a system.
Agreed.

It may not be handling a font correctly that the other apps can deal with.