MacMini Down!

Posted by: MacBozo

MacMini Down! - 07/06/13 04:48 PM

The wife's Mini seems to have died. It was having some sound issues this afternoon and Finder was very sluggish, so I selected Restart from the menu. It shut down, appeared to restart (power light is on) but no sound or video output. In serted the DW disk and tried to startup with same results. I'll do a startup and see if it appears on the network next.

EDIT: It doesn't show on the network.

Re: MacMini Down! - 07/06/13 04:54 PM

It's a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo model. 1 Gig 'o' RAM.

Re: MacMini Down! - 07/06/13 05:04 PM

I won't have the time to open it up until Wednesday. I just want to check the interconnect cable. Fortunately, we do have a TM backup.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacMini Down! - 07/06/13 07:14 PM

Will your power supply fit hers? Will it go to target disk mode.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: MacMini Down! - 07/06/13 08:40 PM

Quote:
Will your power supply fit hers?

That's what she said? ;-)

Re: MacMini Down! - 07/07/13 04:54 AM

It's getting power since the power light comes on. It makes sounds like the optical drive is working with the DW disk in it (I wonder how I'm going to extract that, though), just no video nor audio output and no visibility on the network. I'm not even sure if there is a USB signal. I'll open it up Wednesday to see what I can see in there.

Re: MacMini Down! - 07/07/13 05:45 AM

Just checked with my mouse: No USB either.

It lives! - 07/10/13 01:18 PM

Got it opened up and the interconnect ribbon cable was, indeed, not completely seated. I got it reseated (although it remains rather loose - head scratcher), so it may come loose once again. The little Mini booted right up with all the necessary video, audio, USB, and Airport functions intact. If the cable connection continues to be a problem, I guess I'll have to get a Genius Bar appointment over at the Tampa Apple Store to see if they can better secure the cable.

I feel so good that I had a clue as to what the problem was and have it fixed (even if it might be temporary). cool

Re: It lives! - 07/10/13 01:58 PM

Wow, glad that's all it was.

BTW that model is considered Vintage so I doubt they will even look at it. Just put a piece of scotch tape across the connector and cable. Apple uses what is called Kapton tape, the yellow stuff. You can get a roll on ebay shipped for a buck or two but a good scotch should work for a while. Can't beat a good scotch. smirk

Re: It lives! - 07/10/13 02:01 PM

Ooooh! Scotch! I haven't had any in quite a while. Must remedy that! Thanks for the tape advice. It may work itself loose again.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: It lives! - 07/10/13 03:13 PM

Are you saying Mini's do not get even warm inside the case? And that the tape's stickiness won't evaporate -- go away?

Re: It lives! - 07/10/13 05:50 PM

Didn't you read my post? That's exactly what I said word for word. Hell, my mini stays so cool that I put my beer on top to keep it frosty, and we all know tape stickiness never dries up. :-P LOL.

That's what Kapton tape is for, it's a bit stickier than scotch tape, and the glue doesn't break down as quick so it stays stuck, and it doesn't get brittle. That's why it's used in electronic environments. Granted if one removes it after a few years it's lost some sticky properties, but that's why they make rolls that cost a buck or two.

With the age of that machine though a quality scotch tape will probably last as long as necessary.

Re: It lives! - 07/11/13 08:23 AM

What about the black electrical tape?

Re: It lives! - 07/11/13 09:00 AM

It has really good sticky on it, but when it gets warm the glue also tends to get soft and possibly run a little, and some of the glue sticks to the surface you put it on when you remove the tape, especially in a hot/warm environment. I'd be worried about it getting on/in the connectors of the cable.

Re: It lives! - 07/11/13 03:24 PM

OK. If and when it comes loose again, I'll use regular "scotch" tape to secure it. My wife wouldn't know what to do with a new Mini. She doesn't react that fast. wink

Re: It lives! - 07/11/13 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Didn't you read my post?

Well I certainly will the NEXT time. Live and learn. Er, . . . live is the easy part. I'll try my dangest to learn something now and then. wink

Re: It lives! - 07/12/13 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Originally Posted By: Jim_
Didn't you read my post?
Well I certainly will the NEXT time. Live and learn. Er, . . . live is the easy part. I'll try my dangest to learn something now and then. wink
Don't take offense, I was just being a smart ass. That's why I used my winkie. grin

Re: It lives! - 07/12/13 05:47 PM

[quote=KateSorensen][quote=Jim_]Didn't you read my post? Don't take offense, I was just being a smart ass. That's why I used my winkie. grin

no offence taken ; didnt you see my ;)ey ? no kidding i tot u'd tnk me offended just playing wiyh u again wink