late 2006 iMac airport

Posted by: lanovami

late 2006 iMac airport - 06/17/13 04:38 PM

So, after finally upgrading the memory on my late 2006 iMac, it has become clear that the airport is going bad. As I mostly just surf, I never notice much lag but the online game hound that is my son complains about it all the time. The 5 year warranty I had ran out a while back. Is it correct that to replace the airport extreme card, you have to get way up inside it? I am not doing that.

Are there products I can buy that I can attach to the outside of the computer through the USB to get the same effect? I've done some searching, but I like the definitiveness of the answers I usually get here. smile Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/17/13 06:34 PM

What kind of router do you have?

Go to speedtest.net, what kind of numbers, ping, down, and up?

Can you temporarily connect via Ethernet? Turn off airport if you do. What is speedtest like with Ethernet?

If it is the card, could be, it's doable. The hardest part is releasing the two latches at the top.

Take apart, click on Airport card. In the step where they have you insert a credit card, it's a PIA. I have never had the luck. I just pull the bottom open far enough to be able to get a screwdriver in to flip the latches at the top.

And yes there are external options but run the speed tests, let's see if it is the card, your connection in general...or the son. grin

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 03:33 AM

Thanks for your advice. Am doing some speed comparisons.

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 03:42 AM

Don't think I can do an ethernet check because my ethernet connection on my iMac has been next to useless for years now and I have been using only the aiport card. I decided to instead compare my iMac to my son's iPad.

I took two readings for each a few minutes apart.

iMac 1st reading: ping 11ms download 15.11Mbps upload 1.90Mbps
iMac 2nd reading: ping 12 ms download 3.01Mbps upload 0.97Mbps

iPad 1st reading: ping 18 ms download 18.57Mbps upload 1.85Mbps
iPad 2nd reading: ping 20 ms download 14.58Mbps upload 1.95Mbps

The second Mac reading (which was very near in time to the 2nd iPad reading) seems pretty conclusive maybe?

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 03:45 AM

My router? Um, not sure, but I could check. Regardless, the iPad and the iMac speeds are a useful comparison no?

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 03:48 AM

3rd test, done one after the other.

iPad ping 18 ms download 23.55Mbps upload 1.78Mbps

iMac ping 10 ms download 11.27Mbps upload 1.97Mbps
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 01:19 PM

Is the iPad at the same distance from the router as the iMac?

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 02:20 PM

The iPad numbers kind of vary. Is anyone else using the wireless at the time you run the speedtest?

Is it the same distance away when you run the tests and like Michael mentioned, are the iPad and iMac in the same room?

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 03:01 PM

No one else was using the wifi at the time.

And yes the iPad and the iMac were the same distance away. It is a time capsule I use by the way.

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 04:54 PM

Do you have a lot of networks around you? Set up the 5Ghz n network for the iPad and iMac. The iPhone needs 2.4 ghz though. If it is network interference going n may help it.

The big difference between the tests on the same device is odd. They will vary on Download by 1 or 2 maybe, but usually not the difference you had on the iPad.

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 05:06 PM

If you think it's the Airport card, here's some options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...CFahcMgod_z0ALg

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MXP3802NU2C/

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/18/13 08:10 PM

Thanks, will take a look at the links, and look into your network set up advice as well. smile
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/19/13 02:05 AM

Also, I found that setting specific channels on the router helped my connection stability/reliability rather than setting it to automatic. You may have to step through them until you find the channel that works best for you.

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/19/13 01:55 PM

Thanks, a lot of the advice you guys gave in the last few posts will require a learning curve for me, but I'd rather look into it than have to replace the airport card I will give it a shot.

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/19/13 07:57 PM

I would go somewhere I could get a new wireless n router that will let you return it if it doesn't fix the problem. If you have a lot networks make sure it does 5Ghz

If you'd invite me over for some cocktails and a steak I'd bring one with me so we can start from the modem and work our way in.

Oh that's right, you're hours ahead of me.

The tried and true technique, start from the plug/source and work your way in.

Or is it your son expecting too much from your connection?

Re: late 2006 iMac airport - 06/21/13 04:56 AM

Thanks for the advice and offer. smile I don't think it's my son expecting too much, he gets dropped a lot when the connection drops off to basically nothingn.