Scroll Wheel woes

Posted by: MacBozo

Scroll Wheel woes - 03/10/13 06:04 PM

Seems the scroll wheel is beginning to go bad on my Razer mouse. It tends to scroll the opposite of what I want at times. What's a decent (and decently priced) mouse that I might consider buying?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/10/13 06:56 PM

That's odd, does it need to be taken apart and cleaned?

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 03:40 AM

I don't see a direct way of disassembling it. When scrolling, it tends to jump the opposite direction at times. I could have a bit of "dirt" accumulated in it. Seems OK this AM, so far.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 04:17 AM

I tend to favor Logitech meeces. They're indestructible. My M310 is nearly three years old and it's as smooth and responsive as the day it came out of the box. It's compact, so it goes into my laptop case when I'm out of the office so I can use it with my MBP, too.

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 04:38 AM

The "problem" is not critical at the moment. This Razer is an excellent mouse even if it is a bit overkill for me. I simply like the quick responsiveness and accuracy of it. Maybe I can save up for a Magic Trackpad in the next few months. My only mobile device is my iPhone, so a portable mouse is not a necessity.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 04:52 AM

Have you tried compressed air? I even went so far as to use my compressor from the shed and blow out the scroll wheel area, holding it upside down, whilst "scrolling".
Sometimes it's just a bit of dirt.

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 04:53 AM

I was thinking of that and the Q-tip dipped in alcohol too.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I was thinking of that and the Q-tip dipped in alcohol too.
Don't use that. Some plastics may not like it, and with the way the scroll wheel works that will be of no advantage. It probably has little notches that read through a sensor. Those notches are way down inside, like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Might be dirt on the sensor so try the compressed air.

The screws for taking it apart are probably underneath some of the feet on the bottom. Search Google for how to take apart your mouse.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Scroll Wheel woes - 03/11/13 08:39 AM

I got a track pad for my home desktop. Love it.