Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/30/12 02:38 AM

Recently i heard a clicking sound in my mac mini when using Safari and the Lion system. I have this mini 1 year now. is this meaning to say that the HD is going now?I use Firefox and I never hear the sound like in Lion. Thanks marv
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/30/12 05:18 AM

How large is the drive and how much free space do you have?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/30/12 07:32 AM

If it's a year old Mini, I think the two off-she-shelf HD options are 500 or 750 gigs.

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/30/12 04:12 PM

I mostly need to know since asking how much free space is irrelevant w/o knowing the size of the total drive. If it's maxed out then the drive will thrash trying to write and delete files.

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/31/12 02:50 AM

I have a 500 HD and 8 gigs of memory.Space free is 450.04 GB left.I just downloaded a 3rd party app called hdapm which is suppose to stop the clicks from the hard drive.Did you ever hear of this? Thanks Marv

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/31/12 04:07 AM

That's plenty of free space. Do you have Time Machine running on an external drive? If not, that is foolish. It's brain dead simple to run and keeps a current copy of your system at all times.
Never heard of that app before...
Some drives are just naturally chatty.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/31/12 10:45 AM

I've been hearing a clicking sound every time I walk into my kitchen. shocked

Nebbermind. Had a tack stuck the heel of my shoe. grin
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 12/31/12 11:05 AM

The clicking can actually be your network sending & receiving packets over the net. Do you have file sharing turned on? Have a cable modem? Connected to another server/computer? Have any apps installed/running that would be constantly updated (weather apps, news tickers, etc.)? Any of those things can be the cause of network traffic.

Re: Clicking sound of Hard Drive in the Mac Mini 2011 - 01/01/13 02:53 AM

I have a modem which is hooked up into the telephone.This problem only shows when i use the Safari browser. Not Firefox.I have no router either.Thanks