HD replacement in MacMini.....

Posted by: MacBozo

HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/03/12 10:16 AM

Successful! System is being restored to the new Seagate MomentusXT, 500GB, hybrid drive as I have a celebratory beer - appropriately, a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. grin

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/03/12 01:06 PM

I'm glad I blew all the dust out of it while I had it apart. With the 7200RPM drive in there, the cooling fan now runs over twice as fast. laugh
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/03/12 02:56 PM

Congrats!
Sure seems like hybrids are the wave of the future.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/03/12 06:33 PM

How's the performance boost, noticeable? It may take a little while for it to "learn" how you use your apps.

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/03/12 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
How's the performance boost, noticeable? It may take a little while for it to "learn" how you use your apps.

Mail and FF are launching noticeably faster.

On the other hand, the Mini sounds like it's going to take off at times. laugh

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/03/12 08:26 PM

Hmm, that 7200 RPM HD shouldn't be generating that much more heat to rev the fan full blast. Are you sure the HD sensor and cable is solid?

Unless the SSD integration is causing it, but those are supposed to run cooler. If the computer is sleeping and you wake it do the fans come on soon after waking? The HD should take quite a while to build up enough heat to rev the fans is what I'm getting at.

What does Temperature Monitor say.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/04/12 08:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Hmm, that 7200 RPM HD shouldn't be generating that much more heat to rev the fan full blast. Are you sure the HD sensor and cable is solid?

Unless the SSD integration is causing it, but those are supposed to run cooler. If the computer is sleeping and you wake it do the fans come on soon after waking? The HD should take quite a while to build up enough heat to rev the fans is what I'm getting at.

What does Temperature Monitor say.

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

iStat Pro Widget:

(ambient room temp is 73F at the moment, and FF and Mail are the only apps running. It takes a few minutes before the fan ramps up after waking.)

The fan ramps up when the CPU is being used/maxed and heats up. Maybe I made better cable reconnects when I reassembled the Mini yesterday. Internal sound is working again, too.

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/04/12 10:45 PM

Try resetting the SMC. Shut down the computer. Unplug the power cord from the computer, wait fifteen seconds, plug it back in, reboot.

Re: HD replacement in MacMini..... - 12/05/12 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Maybe I made better cable reconnects when I reassembled the Mini yesterday. Internal sound is working again, too.
From my travels I've found that an open/bad connection on a temp sensor will cause the machine to think that the temp has risen though. It's a failsafe mechanism that I've seen on all kinds of equipment in case of a bad sensor or open connection so that your unit doesn't overheat. smirk

If it was a bad thermal sensor connection it would cause the fans to ramp up right away.

BTW I mentioned resetting the SMC as fan speed control is one of its functions.

Follow up - 12/17/12 01:21 PM

The most noticeable improvement is with virtual memory. With only 2 gig-o-ram in this little Mini, VM reads and writes were becoming quite noticeable with the "old" drive. Since installing the hybrid drive, there is no noticeable system sluggishness when the physical RAM is fully occupied. smile
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Follow up - 01/03/13 02:35 AM

Is this hybrid expensive to buy?

Re: Follow up - 01/03/13 12:49 PM

Usually. I got it on an Amazon.com deal for about 1/3 its normal price.