Time Capsule

Posted by: KateSorensen

Time Capsule - 11/26/12 01:31 PM

I have a wireless network using Airport.

I need a hard drive to make a clone of my iMac before I try to update to Stone Mountain Lion software wink.

For a year and a half, I have this Time Capsule sitting in a closet, never opened, never used.

It's a hard drive, right?

Well I take it out of the box and plug the power in. I insert the install disk and it is not recognized by my iMac. Recently, I inserted an EyeTV install disk and it was not recognized either. My iMac plays movie DVDs successfully, even today.

To install the EyeTV, I put the disk in another iMac and copied over necessary files to install. This method is not working with the Time Capsule. I can't install the Time Capsule software. When I try copying the package over to this iMac, it just brings an alias. If I click on the package over on the other iMac, from this iMac, it tells me to copy it over to here.

Grrrrrrrr

I suppose I have given information overload so I will continue in new msg.

Re: Time Capsule - 11/26/12 01:33 PM

Simply, I want this iMac to use the hard drive of this Time Capsule for data storage just like any ole hard drive. Don't need WiFi from Time Capsule.

Can I do this? Or does it not perform this way? tia

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Time Capsule - 11/26/12 02:06 PM

Here's the Airport Utility for 10.6.8. You may already have a version of it in Applications/Utilities.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1536

Default password is public.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

What you'll need to do is hook up to the TimeCapsule and let TimeMachine make a backup of your computer. If something doesn't work with the Mountain Lion install, you can wipe the drive and rebuild from the TM backup.

An ethernet cable connected between one of the 1-3 ports of the TC and the iMac will speed up the transfer quite a bit.

BTW it appears that the optical drive in the one machine is failing, reads some discs, not others, seen it before.

I guess my question is what are you using for wireless now? Why not just hook the TC up to your internet and use it for wireless, also it will be a constant TimeCapsule backup. You can back up both iMacs to it.

I have to head out for a few hours, I'll check back in later.

Re: Time Capsule - 11/28/12 12:59 PM

Quote:

Me: I have a wireless network using Airport.

Jim: Why not just hook the TC up to your internet and use it for wireless, also it will be a constant TimeCapsule backup.

This is my WiFi Apple Airport that I use, next to the Comcast thingie.

Here is the TimeCapsule which I haven't connected to anything yet.

If I use your suggestion: "hook the TC up to your internet and use it for wireless, also it will be a constant TimeCapsule backup", do I not use the Airport thing? Disconnect it? or do I use two things?

If I disconnect my current WiFi [Airport] connection, will it be simple to connect the TimeCapsule?

I think I can call Apple rep and in the past they said for $80 they give help via phone.

You know me and how confused I get, I'm thinking maybe that would be my best bet.

Then I would have: "the TC [hooked] up to your internet and use it for wireless, also it will be a constant TimeCapsule backup."

I am happy with the sound of that.

No hurry here. I've been involved in other projects too. Thanks for the help, Jim.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Time Capsule - 11/28/12 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

This is my WiFi Apple Airport that I use, next to the Comcast thingie.

If I use your suggestion: "hook the TC up to your internet and use it for wireless, also it will be a constant TimeCapsule backup", do I not use the Airport thing? Disconnect it? or do I use two things?

If I disconnect my current WiFi [Airport] connection, will it be simple to connect the TimeCapsule?

I think I can call Apple rep and in the past they said for $80 they give help via phone.

You know me and how confused I get, I'm thinking maybe that would be my best bet.

Then I would have: "the TC [hooked] up to your internet and use it for wireless, also it will be a constant TimeCapsule backup."

I am happy with the sound of that.
We'll get rid of the Aiport you have hooked up now, the TC does that plus has the hard drive inside.

I can be your phone support. We can use TeamViewer to get me logged in and I can do the all of the configuration from here.

Possibly Saturday, just possibly, or Tuesday or Wednesday next week later in the day would work for me. I'll PM you and we can work out the details.

Re: Time Capsule - 11/28/12 01:21 PM

Quote:
I can be your phone support. We can use TeamViewer to get me logged in and I can do the all of the configuration from here.

Possibly Saturday, just possibly, or Tuesday or Wednesday next week later in the day would work for me. I'll PM you and we can work out the details.

Oh my goodness! :-)

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Time Capsule - 11/28/12 02:20 PM

Reboot to the rescue!!