eMac HD

Posted by: MacBozo

eMac HD - 11/01/12 07:22 AM

How difficult is it to swap the HDD in a 1.2 GHz G4 eMac? My daughter has filled her 120 GB drive and I have a perfectly good 200 sitting right here that she could use.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 08:08 AM

It's a PIA for sure. Apple recommends that you discharge the CRT but if you just make sure you stay away from it you'll be okay. Check out YouTube for eMac takeapart videos. I can direct you to the service manual if you let me know exactly which model it is.

I'm pretty sure the eMacs have large drive support too.

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 08:20 AM

I don't intend to go near the CRT. Do I have to remove the optical drive first?

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 08:32 AM

Without knowing the exact model I can't say. All depending on the model you may have to remove the whole logic board assembly. The drive assembly and logic board are hooked together. Like I said, PIA. crazy

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 08:35 AM

Just watched one of the YouTube videos. It is a PITA, but doable. Her eMac is the 1.2GHz, USB2 model.

There is a local Apple Certified tech shop that might do it for labor charges only if I'm too chicken to do it myself. I can't afford to fly you down here. laugh

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I can't afford to fly you down here.
frown
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 02:11 PM

I know that it's not an elegant (or fast) solution, but would it be possible to connect an external drive to the eMac and use that for storing stuff? I guess I'd be really afraid of opening up the chassis of an eMac or an iMac.

Re: eMac HD - 11/01/12 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I know that it's not an elegant (or fast) solution, but would it be possible to connect an external drive to the eMac and use that for storing stuff? I guess I'd be really afraid of opening up the chassis of an eMac or an iMac.

The 200GB is in use as an external for my Mini. I was going to use her current 120GB in that capacity. She does have an external for her TM backups.