Keyboard question.

Posted by: steveg

Keyboard question. - 09/23/12 04:18 AM

Have been using a Logitech solar wireless keyboard since the beginning of the year, but it never quite matched the solid feel of the aluminum Apple keyboard, and you do lose a wee bit of functionality if you're not tethered. So I just got a new Apple model B wired extended keyboard from Amazon (this one has USB 2.0 ports and was tweaked for Leopard's new-at-that-time features).

But the display brightness keys do not seem to work. I've toggled the function key settings in the Keyboard pref panel even reset the PRAM (which is a published remedy), but still no joy. BTW, I disabled the Logitech utility and have tried the cord in different USB ports on the back of the Mini. And the "Change Keyboard" process goes nowhere.

There's some indication that this function may not work with all 3rd party keyboards, but there's no consensus on that matter. So has anyone else experienced this? It's not like I ever change the display brightness, but if this may be a defective keyboard, I'll have Amazon exchange it.

TIA for any feedback.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Keyboard question. - 09/23/12 04:47 AM

System Preferences/Display/Options/ Disable brightness buttons-unchecked?

I know this button disables buttons on Apple displays.... not sure if it does it on kbs... but it would seem to make sense.

Re: Keyboard question. - 09/23/12 06:06 AM

Don't see "Options" in my display prefs. Maybe it has to be an apple display in order for any of that to work? Mine is an Acer 24".

Re: Keyboard question. - 09/23/12 06:58 AM

After more digging, I've found that those keys only work when an Apple display is connected. No biggie, and at least I know it's not a bad keyboard.