HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel

Posted by: iMacsoontobe

HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/28/12 04:23 PM

Would this work?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST3120213A/

Is it even worth attempting?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/28/12 05:04 PM

If that's the lamp shade one... it's not that hard to do.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iMac-G4-17-800-MHz-EMC-1936-Hard-Drive/7043/1

Take out like 16 screws or so... 2 panels.. and you're there.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/28/12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: iMacsoontobe
Is it even worth attempting?
That drive will work.

That's up to you sort of. If it's being used on a regular basis and is serving its purpose without any issues with things like Internet stuff not working right or so slow you can get a cup of coffee while a video loads it's worth it. What is it used for.

Re: HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/28/12 05:32 PM

Hasn't been used for quite a while...was actually attempting to erase drive and reload fresh copy of Panther and sell it....but it couldn't install then I ran DU from Panther disk and erased HD, but now it says it can't install on the HD. So I got the Panther disc out and when I reboot all I get is folder with ? in middle.

Re: HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/28/12 07:03 PM

On ebay they're going for $50-80 or so if they are lucky to sell. Your 800 Ghz can only go to 10.4.11.

If you can successfully erase the HD and it shows up as a valid disk in DU and the OS installer, there may be a problem with the 10.3 installation CD/DVD itself. I forget, does 10.3 run a media scan of the installation DVD?

If you can resurrect it with an install, give it to someone who has no computer or something, or try and sell it for $50.

10.3.9 would be quite dismal with Internet. Firefox helps but it doesn't run everything either.

So in a nutshell smirk no to the HD replacement.

Re: HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/29/12 06:57 AM

The weird thing is I was able to erase the drive through DU....not sure why I can't write on to a "clean" drive and install Panther.

Re: HD gone in 17inch 800 MHz flat panel - 08/29/12 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: iMacsoontobe
The weird thing is I was able to erase the drive through DU....not sure why I can't write on to a "clean" drive and install Panther.
May be a bad installation DVD. What error are you getting and at what point during the install attempt does the error come up? Does it ever get to the "writing files to disk" point or something like that?

You can test the HD first though. First re-partition it. Choose the whole disk in DU, then go to the Partition tab. Under Volume Scheme choose 1 Partition. Click Options and make sure Apple Partition Map is chosen, click OK. In the main window choose Mac OS Extended journaled. Click Apply.

Next choose Erase again, and click Security Options, choose Zero out Data to make it write one pass of zeroes to the disk, Click OK, make sure Mac OS Extended journaled is chosen, then click Erase. It will take a while to write to the whole disk.

If you still can't install 10.3 then it's probably the install DVD that's gone bad or is scratched.