iMac screen weirdness

Posted by: padmavyuha

iMac screen weirdness - 08/21/12 11:21 AM

I have a late 2009 iMac 21". I recently noticed what I thought was a water stain on the screen, but then I realised it wasn't on the surface of the glass, so I got interested.

There's what looks like a water stain, and a verticle line of sorts - but: it doesn't show when the screen is white, or when pure RGB colours are displayed. It only shows for anything with greyscale, or CMYK colours. So I notice it most when watching films, where the colours are variable.

In the following screenshots, you have white, RGB pure yellow/red/blue, and lastly 50% grey (where the blemish and line are obvious towards the left of the screen). It barely shows using CMYK yellow, but is more obvious in CMYK magenta or cyan (I didn't get photos of those, since the grey tells the story).

Something's definitely rotten, I must get it looked at.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/21/12 11:54 AM

Try pulling off the glass and see if it is just dirt. If I'm seeing it right the curved watermark thing going on doesn't look electrical or like the LCD screen losing traces.

I happen to have a suction cup like in the vid, it's used for placing tiles when doing a floor. Any decent kind will do. Mine cost $7 US. You can probably use a couple of those clear little ones that stick to a window to hang stuff too.

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/21/12 12:04 PM

OMG! Are you kidding me? I would have never thought the glass was a panel held on by magnets. LOL.
Kewl.

On another note.. Pad... late 2009?. I guess you didn't extend the warranty?

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/21/12 12:07 PM

Dang...I'm tempted to pull my Imacs glass now.... shocked
It's gonna bug me now.... Must Pull Glass...Must Pull Glass...

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/21/12 12:08 PM

Heading to Harbor Freight to see if they have a large suction cup.

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/21/12 03:51 PM

Tempting, isn't it? grin

Make sure you a have a good lint free cloth to wipe it with if your the anal type. Any dust underneath can be seen when the screen is off, but usually disappears when the screen is lit up. A can of compressed air helps. Blow it off then quickly put the glass back on.

You all can have fun with that last part. smirk

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/22/12 01:16 AM

It's still (just barely) under AppleCare warranty. I'm going to take it in next week and let them do the sucking and blowing for me smile.

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/22/12 01:20 AM

I'm intrigued as to why it's only visible when the colours aren't "pure", though. I love a mystery.

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/22/12 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
I'm intrigued as to why it's only visible when the colours aren't "pure", though. I love a mystery.
Me too. I'd figure dirt would be more visible when it's shut off and would show up with any color. Let us know what happens.

Good for you that it's still under warranty.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/26/12 07:18 AM

A little late to this discussion, but I've had the same issue with my Cinema Display from, lo, those many years ago. Only mine has been slowly migrating across the screen from left to right.

Checking around, the theories that makes most sense are that it's some sort of contamination of the LCD material or perhaps de-lamination of some sort ...

Re: iMac screen weirdness - 08/26/12 12:36 PM

Pad.. since you are taking this in to Apple I would print out the Apple discussion thread and show it to them. I have had more favorable responses from Apple employees when I show printed documentation that it's a commonly occurring issue.