Connection or card?

Posted by: Lea

Connection or card? - 08/05/12 03:51 PM

I had this same problem with my last monitor, so I'm convinced that I need a new connecting cord thingie. But then, thinking too much gets me into trouble. What if my video card's going bad? I'm rockin' into year 3 with my workhorse MacPro, if that matters.

Here's what happens. My monitor goes pinkish, then greenish. Not all the time, but enough to be aggravating. A long time ago, with the old monitor, I asked about this and Giz said just wiggle the connecting thingie. That works, but it's happening a lot more lately. The color shift and the wiggling just can't be good things.

And this monitor is barely a year old. Nice Samsung I stole from BestBuy. OK, practically stole. They were having a killer sale.

smile
TIA and AllMyMissY'allLotsLoveLea
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Connection or card? - 08/05/12 04:06 PM

What kind of monitor? LED? LCD? DVI input?

The usual troubleshooting procedures:

Cable securely connected?
Vid card securely seated?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Connection or card? - 08/05/12 05:27 PM

Could be cable.. or software... drivers could be fouled. Load new drivers from monitor website.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Connection or card? - 08/05/12 08:30 PM

Swap the ends of the connecting cord thingie, plug the monitor end into the video card and vice versa.

If you need to jiggle it at the opposite end after swapping it's just the connecting cord thingie.

Does it look like one of these?

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Connection or card? - 08/06/12 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Could be cable.. or software... drivers could be fouled. Load new drivers from monitor website.

Drivers? I've never installed monitor drivers on my Macs. Just plugged 'em in and calibrated.

Re: Connection or card? - 08/06/12 02:06 PM

But... a driver can become fouled, in which case you need to load them again. The latest will be on the website.
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but that's what my addled brain remembers.

This is after checking cables/connections/ and if the card is seated properly.
If it's none of these then the monitor is already going bad. The blue driver on the monitor board is futzing up. RGB minus blue leaves Red (pinkish color) and Green.

Re: Connection or card? - 08/06/12 02:14 PM

If it was drivers wiggling her thingie wouldn't make the colors change though, except for the red on my face. smirk

Re: Connection or card? - 08/06/12 04:18 PM

Yeah.. prolly just a bad pin in the cable plug...
Let's hope.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Connection or card? - 08/07/12 09:14 AM

Sorry for the slow come-back. It's an LED monitor. Here's the set up.

I'm thinking that white converter thingie is what's wearing out. I've undone and redone it at the computer, and at the end of the converter thingie more times than you can wag a dog's tail. It's intermittent, but I'm involved in enough stuff right now, that I want to make a dash and fix this as soon as I get some breathing room.

Seriously, how would I figure out if it was the vid card? I don't have a ouiji board. Should I just ask it, really sweet?

Drivers? Really, there still are such things? wink

Or maybe, if I wiggle it just right . . . laugh

LL

Re: Connection or card? - 08/07/12 09:26 AM

Yes...lol. There are still such things.. even on your Mac.
The reason you don't think about them anymore is that they don't come on a disc or off the internet... the come right out of the device(monitor) itself when you plug it in.
Which brings me to another point... are you using the screens native resolution?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

Re: Connection or card? - 08/07/12 11:14 AM

Since it's a newer LED monitor my guess is that it has a DVI connector like you have on the video card, and also the VGA connector you're using off of the adapter. If it has a a DVI connector you can do away with the converter thingie and just get a DVI to DVI cable. You can get them on ebay for <$3 shipped. Best Buy probably has a fairly inexpensive one for around $9 or so.

What model Samsung monitor, we'll check the specs to see if it has a DVI connector, or you can post a pic of the ports on the bottom of the monitor if you get a chance.

Re: Connection or card? - 08/07/12 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Lea
Or maybe, if I wiggle it just right . . . laugh
Oh yeah, that always works.

blush grin

Re: Connection or card? - 08/07/12 12:07 PM

Is the cable normally taut like it is in the photo?