Water damage

Posted by: evlasova

Water damage - 07/20/12 10:00 AM

So I had some water leak onto my computer while it was closed and I didn't really realize that immediately, I think it barely had any charge so I don't even know if it would have worked afterwards but I plugged my charger the next day and it lit up for a split second and then the light went off. Now when I plug in my charger for some reason one of the green lights that indicate the charge of my computer turn on but that's it, not the charger itself.
I was told at a repair shop that it would cost $89 to look at it so I opened it up myself and it looks like my motherboard is totally fried. I'm not an expert on computers though so I figured I'd get some feedback here on whether there is any hope in the state that my computer is in. Should I bother getting it fixed? It's no longer under warranty, I got it in 2009.

It looks pretty bad I know =|
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Water damage - 07/20/12 10:17 AM

Looks like it's toasted to me. Pull the HD and properly recycle the rest of it.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Water damage - 07/20/12 10:35 AM

Warranty wouldn't cover water damage anyway, they don't cover damaged units, just component or manufacturing failures.

Agreed, with that much water damage it would cost too much to fix it. Hopefully you had a backup in case the hard drive got hosed too.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Water damage - 07/20/12 12:15 PM

If the water damage happened at your house your home owners might cover it.

Minus deductible and then increased rates since you made a claim... er... nevermind. Toss it.