Mac Pro Video Card Dead?

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/15/12 05:20 AM

I have a 2008 (Early) Mac Pro with a Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512mb card.

It will no longer boot as it will freeze have way through...same in safe mode. I can boot into single user mode but not the with the CD.

However, before this happened, the screen flash quite a bit with lots of blue artifacts and sometimes, half the screen would go white. It then froze forcing the reboot. I did reseat the card and it boot fine but did it again in a few hours. I tried a different slot with no luck.

I did have a kernal panic about a month ago and the code was for Nvidia.

Is there a way I can test the card or something before I spend the $$$$$ for another card?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/15/12 05:40 AM

The only way to test the card without the right equipment would be to put it into another machine. From what you've said it sure sounds like the problem. Check eBay.

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/15/12 06:11 AM

Do you have a suggestion for a replacement card?

I was looking at the Apple ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB ZML MC742ZM/A for $248 at Amazon.

Thanks!

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/15/12 08:23 AM

That would be an upgrade to what you have. I saw one on there new for $207 shipped BTW. I saw one on ebay for just a few bucks less but it's used, not worth it IMO, go for the new.

The 8800 is the same price so I'd go for the 5770.

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/15/12 08:45 AM

Thanks...it is ordered!

With my iPad, I have not used my PowerBook (yes a G4) in ages...I think it took me an hour to figure out where I stored it! However, it fired right up and at least I have a back-up at home until I am running again.

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/15/12 09:21 AM

Here is a small screen shot of the blue artifacts when it freezes at start-up. They are on the right side of the Apple logo. The entire screen will be filled with them and also flash...kind of like when Tech Tool does its video RAM test

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/19/12 04:22 PM

Well, after an hour of run time, it appears the new Apple ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB ZML MC742ZM/A video card fixed the problem.

With my 30 Cinema display, I can really tell a big difference between the new card and the old Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512mb card. From the way video and EyeTV works now, I am guessing the card was failing for a long time...EyeTV used to crash a lot but is working find now.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/19/12 05:29 PM

Cool!

Re: Mac Pro Video Card Dead? - 06/21/12 02:15 PM

Glad to hear it worked out. cool