Kernel Panic locks me out.

Posted by: seanog

Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 01:39 PM

20' imac core duo. I was reinstalling OS and files using Firewire and a 17" imac. 1/2 way through I aborted and it said "if you stop now you may not be able to restart your computer" I took no notice and pressed 'Stop". Now every time I start the computer I get " you need to restart your computer......".
I have tried booting from external DVD, another computer, reseting PRAM, SAFE start but no luck. I do not know if it software or hardware problem. I phoned Apple but they just went through what I had already tried so they advised me to take it to a Mac shop. Trouble is nearest is 3 hours away.
When I start the message KP comes up after about 20 seconds but trying to boot from a USB drive you can see it accessing the DVD and it takes about 2 minutes for the KP to appear.
Can anyone help?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 02:02 PM

What was the reason you wanted to reinstall from the 17", were you having problems with the 20"?

When you say reinstall do you mean the "restore from a backup" option or were you using migration assistant to bring the files from the 17" over to the 20"?

What version of the OS was on the 17" iMac and was it a G5 or Intel?

Do you have a spare external drive that we can wipe and use?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 02:28 PM

The 17" is an Intel and has an increasing level of vertical lines on the screen. Also lately it has started freezing for no reason. Have nothing attached but keyboard.
So decided to buy a second hand 20" Core Duo( it's actually older than the 17"). I tried Migration Ass. but for some reason it did not work with all files so I connected in Target mode. I believe this is not the way to do it.
I have a drive that I use for Time Machine but can't boot from that either.
There is an OS. X.4 stuck in the drive and won't come out. The 17" is running X.6.8 and I believe the 20" was the same.
Tried reseting PRAM

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: seanog
There is an OS. X.4 stuck in the drive and won't come out. The 17" is running X.6.8 and I believe
What version of the 10.4 installer and is it a retail or machine specific? It will say on the DVD. It needs to be 10.4.4 or better if I have the right 20" machine in mind.

To get the DVD out reboot and hold down either the eject key or the mouse, it may take a while for it to eject, just keep holding.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 02:34 PM

If you give me the serial number of the 20" we can look it up to see which it is exactly.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 02:41 PM

It's retail, but also have Leopard & Snow leopard. Tried booting from all with external player.
Ejecting DVD: Had Snow Leopard trapped inside, nothing would get it out until I poked around the DVD slot as I switched it on. Out popped the DVD so though I would try a different OS version. Tried mouse, eject but machine will let nothing happen
S/N: W8604JT7U2P

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 02:58 PM

It's retail, but also have Leopard & Snow leopard. Tried booting from all with external player.
Does the internal not work on the 20"?

The 17 and 20 use the same RAM. Maybe the RAM on the 20 needs to be reseated or maybe it's bad. I'd try reseating the RAM and/or putting the 17 RAM into the 20. Try booting from Leopard or Snow Leopard if the 10.4 installer DVD is earlier than 10.4.4, or it could be even if it is 10.4.4 on the retail they both came out the same month so maybe the 10.4.4 on the retail is not the right 10.4.4 to boot the 20. Sometimes they slightly modify the same version of the installer to be specific to the particular model.

Do the RAM thing first.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:00 PM

Already tried the Ram. Checked the 20" ram in the 17" and vice a versa. No problems.
Tried booting from both versions, getting nowhere.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:17 PM

If you can't boot from a DVD that usually says that there is hardware problem of some kind since it's a clean system on the DVD. Can the DVDs boot the 17 okay?

Did the 20 run okay when you got it?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:24 PM

Yes to both questions.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:28 PM

Does the Kernel Panic Message not have clues to the problem?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:34 PM

Okay, we know the DVDs are good. If you put the 20 into target disk mode can you reformat the HD from the 17? Go to partion in Disk Utility and choose 1 partition, in Options choose GUID, HFS+ journaled.

After that you can insert one of the DVDs into the 17, boot from it, and choose the target disk moded 20 as the install HD.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:38 PM

The 20" won't go to any mode except Kernel Panic. Nothing else.
I can hear it accessing the trapped DVD but still get only KP screen no matter what I try.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:38 PM

Does the Kernel Panic Message not have clues to the problem?
I'd have to see the panic log but that's a lot to write down. I can't remember the last time it did me any good though.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:40 PM

The 20" won't go to any mode except Kernel Panic. Nothing else.
I can hear it accessing the trapped DVD but still get only KP screen no matter what I try.
You need to get the DVD out first. It could be the KP cause.

Are they wired keyboard and mouse?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:43 PM

The DVD is not the problem. I thought that when Snow Leopard was trapped but when I got it out it made no difference.
Yes, wired and nothing else.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:50 PM

Can't access the Panic Log only what comes up on start screen.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 03:54 PM

Will it boot to single user mode? Apple-s on startup.

Do you feel up to removing the HD, or at least disconnecting it. Either way those are pain to open up and work on.

Get the DVD out and try target disk mode.

Will the 20 Safe Boot, Shift key down at boot.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 04:03 PM

Yes, tried Apple + s and Apple + v & Shift. No luck. I have trawled the Internet and tried everything suggested. Apple were no help.
Something tells me there is a PRAM Reset button on the motherboard. Ever heard of it?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 04:05 PM

I'll check the PRAM reset button, give me a few minutes.

Try booting holding down cmd-opt-shift-delete which will make it boot from the DVD and not load the driver for the HD in case the driver on the HD has become corrupt.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 04:08 PM

Yes, tried Apple + s and Apple + v & Shift. No luck. I have trawled the Internet and tried everything suggested. Apple were no help.
Something tells me there is a PRAM Reset button on the motherboard. Ever heard of it?

When you try and reset PRAM with Apple-Option-P-R if you keep holding the keys will it reboot over and over until you release them?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 04:10 PM

Reset the SMC (Formerly SMU).
Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
Wait 15 seconds.
Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on
the back of the computer.
Let go of the power button.
Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 04:18 PM

That's a new one. But somethings wrong here. A couple of days ago I could see it accessing the USB drive but now nothing is happening. Will check again tomorrow.
It's 00:20 here. Goodnight.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/08/12 04:20 PM

Okay, talk to you tomorrow, or today all depending. grin

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/09/12 12:06 PM

Resetting PRAM - only starts once then " you need to restart....."
Tried resetting SMC.
Was pressing wrong key last night! cmd-opt-shift-delete The light on the DVD player rapidly flashes as though it's accessing the DVD but this only lasts about 2-3 seconds then it is a regular flash every second for about 2 minutes. Then comes "you need....."

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/09/12 01:47 PM

cmd shift option delete doesn't work, so if that's loading right it's not even accessing the HD.

If you can't take the computer back at this point I'd consider disconnecting the HD. It's a bit of a pain though. Removing the front bezel is a trick. There are videos on youtube.

I do it without their removal "tool" by pulling open the bottom a ways and getting up into the top with a thin long screwdriver to loosen the latches on the corners.

Then you can peel back the black paper cover over the logic board and get to the HD connector on the logic board without having to pull the screen off.

I guess there's an outside chance it's the Power Supply.

If you decide to go that way let me know, we can probably direct you to a take apart if you can't find one. You definitely have a hardware problem, and if it's not the HD or PS, it's probably really not worth fixing.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/09/12 01:48 PM

One last question, you've booted from the external DVD drive before?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/09/12 02:33 PM

Yes have booted a Windows machine and just had a quick try on the 17". Seems Ok.
Will have to try the HD as I have no way of getting it fixed otherwise.
Thanks for your time and will keep you posted. Sean.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/09/12 03:43 PM

Got the manual from 'Darryl's Mac Manuals'.
Just one more question - when I get the HD out how will I know if it is the problem?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/09/12 04:25 PM

I would just disconnect the HD from the logic board first rather than have to pull the LCD off to get to the HD. If it boots from the DVD and stays booted something's up with the HD. It may just be a matter of pulling it and putting into and external SATA case to see if you can repartition it. Do the procedure I mentioned above, but also in Security Options of Disk Utility do a one pass erase to see if all the blocks are okay and to put it through the paces for the whole HD.

Once you get the front bezel off there's no need to put it back on of course to check the machine sans HD, just put some RAM in.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 06/11/12 03:25 AM

That sounds like what I'm experiencing on my 6 y-o 15" MacBook Pro. I'm getting horizontal lines on the display and rendering weirdness, and intermittent freezes. It's a bad video card — at least in my case.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 09:25 AM

Jim, have only now got round to doing what you suggested. I spent an hour shaping plastic cards to try and get the back off to no avail. Then I reread your post and had it off in seconds.
I have exposed the bottom part of the logic board but do not know which wires to pull. Can you help again?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 10:24 AM

Here's the take apart for your model, step 19 shows the HD cable. You don't have to do all of the steps, 19 just shows which cable it is.

Like I said, it is an outside chance that the HD is causing it, but it's worth a shot.

Here's the page with all the take apart instructions.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 11:56 AM

Thanks for that. Will have a look tomorrow, best in daylight.
I have just noticed something strange:
When I use a USB stick it lights up and the machine is accessing it. So there is power there.
But when I connect the keyboard to the same port there is no power as the Shift key does not light up. Have 2 keyboards and both same and they work fine on my 17"

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 12:04 PM

Eureka!!! Just disconnected 1 cable, I was guessing it was the hard drive and it booted fro the USB!!!
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 12:21 PM

Jim is the best.
No matter what anybody says about him.
wink

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 12:31 PM

If I plugged the cable back in with the machine running would it cause a disaster?.
If not how could I reformat the HD?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 01:03 PM

If I plugged the cable back in with the machine running would it cause a disaster?.
If not how could I reformat the HD?
I'm not sure what stage you're at right now. If it boots from the USB was the HD still connected? If so you can re-partition it booted from the USB per my instructions above.

I wouldn't recommend hot-swapping cables. You'd need to remove the HD and put it into an external case. It's a bit of a pain for sure but if it was my machine I wouldn't risk hot-swapping.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 01:09 PM

I have disconnected 1 cable, a thick one which I think is the data line. I have not touched the power unless they are combined?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 01:14 PM

Don't know if you have an external case or what stores are in your area but Newegg has this one at a good price.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 01:15 PM

I have disconnected 1 cable, a thick one which I think is the data line. I have not touched the power unless they are combined?
They are separate, but I still wouldn't hot-swap.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 01:20 PM

It could even be that the SATA controller chip is bad, so if you remove the HD, partition it, and put it back in it still may not work if the chip is bad.

If you have an extra SATA drive you might want to try it in place of what's in the machine before buying a case to see if it is the controller or the HD.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 01:29 PM

West coast of Ireland, miles from any Apple help if things go wrong. Will sleep on it and decide in morning whether to connect it live as I'm not sure I could get it all back together if I dismantle it

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 02:38 PM

I have a SATA drive from a cctv system but how do I format it? Is it the same if I buy a SSD?

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 07:51 PM

I have a SATA drive from a cctv system but how do I format it? Is it the same if I buy a SSD?
Just put it in. If you can boot off of the USB drive you can use Disk Utility to format it. DU on Mac will format any kind of drive. Just use the partitioning scheme I outline above, my 5th post or so ? to make it a GUID drive with an HFS partition. Make sure you choose the whole disk, not the icon on the bottom right of the drive. If you get that far you'll see what I mean, one will give you the Partition option, the other won't. Erase will keep whatever it is formatted as, probably Master Boot Record (MBR) now, so choose Partition.

Don't buy the SSD yet, let's see if the HD is the problem and not the logic board first.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Jim is the best.
No matter what anybody says about him.
wink
OFIs don't care what anyone says anyway. grin

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 08:50 PM

ROFLMAO!

What's an OFI?
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
ROFLMAO!

What's an OFI?

It is a secret club we have here but you do not have the qualifications to join. Sorry Charlie wink

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 09:01 PM

Old Farts Inc or something like that. It's been a forum moniker forever. DLC is proudly one.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/13/12 09:05 PM

Quote:
OFIs don't care what anyone says anyway. grin

Got that right...and stay off my grass! grin

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/14/12 06:31 AM

Sigh… I know.
I was trying to make a funny.
Why would I be LMAO if I didn't know what an OFI was?
Should have added a wink grin laugh

Aww… Skip it.

Sorry to derail the thread seanog.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/14/12 01:38 PM

No problem.
Jim decided to take your advice and not hot-wire it. Tried to get screen out but need Torx screwdrivers. Searched the Town - nothing! So ordered over the Net so await delivery. Thanks for your patience.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/14/12 01:52 PM

Graingers usually carrys them, if you have one in your town.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/sea...&sst=subset

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/25/12 03:16 PM

Well, finally got the HD out, took to local repair shop, formatted in minutes, installed and works fine. Thanks to All especially Jim who made it so easy. Thanks.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/25/12 03:38 PM

Cool.
Your payment will be accepted by making at least 250 posts in these forums. After that, if you want to leave... good luck. smile

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/25/12 04:25 PM

Alright, I love it when a plan comes together. Glad you didn't have to trash the iMac and can get some use out of it.

It must have been something corrupt in the boot sectors of the HD. It's rare that a bad format causes a panic but I have seen it, at least twice now. You're lucky that's all that it was. Happy to help.

Re: Kernel Panic locks me out. - 09/25/12 06:10 PM

Awesome.
Congratulations!