Really Strange

Posted by: Nana

Really Strange - 03/17/12 05:07 PM

Imac G5-iSight
Purchased new in 2005
OS 10.4.11

Last week, I put the computer to sleep. The next morning, it was deader than a doornail. No pulsing circle white light. Nothing. Nada.
I tried zapping the pram, changing wall outlets (using a power strip) & tried turning power strip on & off. Nothing would resurrect the comp. I tested other things in the same power strip & they worked just fine. Therefore, I thought the motherboard was the culprit.

At that moment (after trying to resurrect) I decided to just pack the thing up. Hopefully, a newer iMac would come later on in the summer along with Mountain Lion. Would purchase another iMac with ML preinstalled then. I unplugged the computer.

Today (5 days later), I disconnected the printer, external speakers, USB, keyboard, mouse & firewire burner. Took the computer into my bedroom as that is where I kept the original box it came in.
On a hunch, I plugged it up in the bedroom directly into a wall outlet and pressed the comp power button. The damn thing chimed on! Lugged the damn thing back into my den but this time, plugged it up into a different slot on the power strip. Worked like a charm!!!!
Inserted all of my peripherals - still working like a charm!!!!!

The power strip has 6 slots. Can one go bad while the other 5 work? Is it possible that it is now too weak to handle a computer?
Or is the logic board playing tricks on me? Just needed a 5 day vacation unplugged?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Really Strange - 03/17/12 05:28 PM

I have a dead outlet on my UPS so, yes, they can go bad.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Really Strange - 03/17/12 06:21 PM

If you don't have a dead outlet in the UPS, or didn't happen to accidentally turn off the power strip (no one ever does) grin it may have just needed to be turned off and unplugged for a while due to an incoming power fluctuation that happened when it was sleeping that scrambled what is called the SMU http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1767 Usually it has to be manually reset, but unplugging for a while can reset it.

On the other hand I've also seen what happened as a sign of a power supply beginning to fail. They are fairly inexpensive but replacing them requires you to disassemble the whole machine. The part that fails the most often they put in first on the assembly line.

Remember the SMU reset link. If the power supply is failing that may revive it in between the times it acts up.

Re: Really Strange - 03/17/12 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I have a dead outlet on my UPS so, yes, they can go bad.

Thanks for that. I am going to test that slot tomorrow. Really didn't feel like messing with it today. Just so glad my desktop is now working again and I don't have to set aside $4K for a new iMac.

Re: Really Strange - 03/17/12 07:07 PM

Reboot, I was so busy cramping up my fingers for zapping the pram that trying a smu was not even on my mind. Should have been since resetting the smu is so much easier than zapping a pram.

Thanks for the link. I printed it out "just in case" it happens again.

I know it should be time for my logic board to go bad as my G5 iMac is going on 7 years without a problem. It even has the original hd. Someone told me that the g5's with iSight - 3rd generation were the best ones. Rarely a problem.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Really Strange - 03/17/12 07:19 PM

$4K? Apple refurbs are the way to go.

Re: Really Strange - 03/17/12 07:34 PM

Glad to help. BTW, the current low end iMacs are speed demons, great machines. Many times faster than what you have. New $1199 and like Michael said a refurb from Apple would be even less.

Re: Really Strange - 03/18/12 10:14 AM

$4K because by the time I max out ram (3rd party), get a larger hd, purchase AppleCare & the ML Missing Manual book, the taxes will jack up from the original price. So it's either driving down to Delaware where there are no taxes or getting a refurb.

My next iMac will be the "latest" model. I'm hoping one comes out this summer right along w/ML.

Then again, I spotted a refurbished 27-inch: 2.7GHz 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 for $1419.00. I just may forgo the "latest & greatest" to treat myself.

Re: Really Strange - 03/18/12 08:14 PM

That's a really nice machine. BTW you can get 16G of RAM from Crucial for $100 to max it out. You can get AppleCare off of ebay for $130 shipped. smile

Re: Really Strange - 03/20/12 09:37 AM

Dead outlet on my power strip was the culprit. mad
I put duct tape over it so I won't plug anything else in it. frown

Re: Really Strange - 03/20/12 11:13 AM

That's great to hear. Thanks for the follow-up. smile
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Really Strange - 03/20/12 11:18 AM

I would be looking for a new strip.

Re: Really Strange - 03/21/12 12:34 PM

LOL Well the other 5 slots work; small fan, cordless phone, desk lamp, printer, comp.

However, I do have 2 more power strips that were never used. Still inside the HomeDepot bag.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Really Strange - 03/21/12 02:05 PM

Yeah... but once those suckers start going down the tube...chuck em.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8