Double crap!

Posted by: MacBozo

Double crap! - 01/01/12 04:58 PM

So, my external FW-IDE drive seems to be getting more and more unreliable, but I'm thinking it's the interface in the enclosure and not the drive itself. I tried moving it's entirety back to my internal drive and got I/O errors and a no go. Now moving it to another external USB drive and it's taking about 3 hours - not a good indication. So now, should I get another external enclosure to test, or should I just pony up the $ for a larger internal SATA 2.5" drive? The enclosure is a much cheaper solution at the moment. Of course, having to get the 2.5" drive would preclude my being able to afford an iPhone. Crap!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Double crap! - 01/01/12 07:08 PM

What is the food chain for the Hds? Internal plus the external extra for extra storage with both backed up elsewhere or something?

Quote:
The enclosure is a much cheaper solution at the moment.

If it's not the enclosure though you'll end up with a deprecating IDE enclosure. As you know IDE is fading out, and the drives are much smaller for the price.

This is a handy and inexpensive item to have in the tool kit. It does 2.5 and 3.5 IDE and SATA drives. You just have a drive laying out bare without any clothes so it's not a permanent solution, but it is a handy testing tool.

I/O errors are usually the drive in my travels, but I haven't traveled everywhere. smirk
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Double crap! - 01/01/12 07:32 PM

Dude.. lay off the eggnog.... crazy

Re: Double crap! - 01/01/12 10:49 PM

???

Re: Double crap! - 01/02/12 02:54 AM

The external FW/IDE was my boot drive while the internal was/is my emergency boot drive with DW and TTPro installed. The USB external contains my TM volume on one partition and, now my boot volume on another. I'll try cloning the boot volume to the internal (doesn't leave much elbow room on that drive, though) later. Waking problems were getting to be more frequent from the IDE drive, and yesterday I couldn't boot from it until I cycled the power on it. That's when I decided to move the boot volume to a known reliable drive. I guess I shoulda grabbed that 250Gb internal when it was $50 instead of the $95 it is now.

Re: Double crap! - 01/02/12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
This is a handy and inexpensive item to have in the tool kit.
That looks like a handy tool to have, anyway. I might order the Vantec model since it's the same price and I've grown to trust Vantec's quality.

The saga continues: - 01/04/12 12:56 PM

I can move (clone) my Lion, main volume, between the two external drives, but not to my internal. It gives me an I/O error every time. I can, however, clone my emergency volume (10.6.8) to any drive including the internal. I'm now attempting to restore from my Time Machine volume to the internal, but it has been "estimating time remaining" for an hour now. I've been using the Restore function in Disk Utility, which usually works flawlessly. I think I may give Carbon Copy Cloner a spin if this doesn't work in getting my primary boot volume back onto my internal drive.

Re: The saga continues: - 01/04/12 02:27 PM

Heh! That didn't work. I canceled the restore process and it rendered my primary system useless (I wasn't booted from it). Shrug.

Since I had my emergency boot volume on two drives, I upgraded the OS to Lion on the original FW drive that I was suspicious of (no problems booting or copying to and from) and am now using Migration Assistant to restore from my TM backup. It seems to be restoring the correct amount of data, so I'll see how this goes. Thank goodness for TM! (I hope that's not premature, though) whistle

Re: The saga continues: - 01/04/12 03:29 PM

Strange stuff indeed. If the current migration works, but you still get the I/O or wake from sleep errors, you might try wiping the internal, make it one partition. Then do an erase on it and check write zeroes one pass in Security Options to see if it's the internal that is failing. It may write out bad blocks if that is what is going on with the internal.

Maybe the partitioning is just corrupt on the internal too. I take it DW says both partitions on the internal are okay?

Re: The saga continues: - 01/04/12 04:03 PM

Strange stuff indeed. If the current migration works, but you still get the I/O or wake from sleep errors, you might try wiping the internal, make it one partition. Then do an erase on it and check write zeroes one pass in Security Options to see if it's the internal that is failing. It may write out bad blocks if that is what is going on with the internal.

Maybe the partitioning is just corrupt on the internal too. I take it DW says both partitions on the internal are okay?

The internal wasn't partitioned and was zeroed. Just now getting the restored volume sorted out.

Re: The saga continues: - 01/04/12 05:00 PM

Wow! Apple's software update servers are s---l---o---w tonight.

Re: The saga continues: - 01/04/12 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Heh! That didn't work. I canceled the restore process and it rendered my primary system useless (I wasn't booted from it). Shrug.

Since I had my emergency boot volume on two drives, I upgraded the OS to Lion on the original FW drive that I was suspicious of (no problems booting or copying to and from) and am now using Migration Assistant to restore from my TM backup. It seems to be restoring the correct amount of data, so I'll see how this goes. Thank goodness for TM! (I hope that's not premature, though) whistle

OK. The Migration Assistant approach worked, as it should. I got everything back and did some cleaning up, installed all the updates via SU. Everything seems fine for now. Live and learn. Oh, still booting from the suspect drive, though.

Re: The saga continues: - 01/04/12 10:08 PM

Glad it's working out so far.

Did you erase the internal with zeroes after you had the I/O errors, and then they went away after?

Re: The saga continues: - 01/05/12 05:45 AM

Glad it's working out so far.

Did you erase the internal with zeroes after you had the I/O errors, and then they went away after?

I still got the I/O errors after it was zeroed only when trying to clone my Lion system to it. Cloning the Snow Leopard volume worked just fine. Since I am now running a cleaner Lion install, I may try again today, but things are running just fine from the suspect FW drive for now. Maybe my previous system was damaged is all I can think would be the problem(s).

I must be your worst nightmare, since I can sort these things out for myself. I'm just putting this up so other folks can possibly recover their systems when something goes wonky. laugh

Re: The saga continues: - 01/05/12 07:04 AM

I must be your worst nightmare, since I can sort these things out for myself.
grin
The nightmare would be if everybody could, I'd be out of a job.

Re: The saga continues: - 01/05/12 07:08 AM

I must be your worst nightmare, since I can sort these things out for myself.
grin
The nightmare would be if everybody could, I'd be out of a job.

Maybe I should shut up, then?

I learned as much as I could back when there was absolutely no Apple support/repair to be had. wink

Re: Double crap! - 01/24/12 04:15 PM

OK. I'm now running from my internal drive once again - it's a little tight, though. Out of 120 GB, I have 17 GB free space. I need to go through and delete some old files that I no longer need (bill payment receipts mostly - I don't print them, just save them to disk - some are 4 - 5 years old). I'll see how this goes for the time being until I can afford a larger drive.

Re: Double crap! - 01/24/12 04:51 PM

Get GrandPerspictive. It's really handy. It shows a graphic representation in blocks by file size, and groups the blocks by folder. Control-Click on the block to get the option to show it in the Finder.

I doubt those receipts will save a lot of space. There may be a lot of them but they probably are small.

When it launches it doesn't launch to an open window, you have to go to File/Scan Folder and choose your HD.

I use it a lot to clean up people's computers, if they've called me they usually don't really know where they save stuff unless it's the desktop. smirk

Re: Double crap! - 01/24/12 04:53 PM

I use it a lot to clean up people's computers, if they've called me they usually don't really know where they save stuff unless it's the desktop. smirk

Oh, I know where it's all saved. I have a lot of Photo Booth files of my granddaughter fooling around with the app that I won't delete (spans several years), but I will move them off to another drive. It has been quite a while since I've done a good "house" cleaning.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Double crap! - 01/24/12 05:17 PM

Whatsize is a good one too. I bought it after a while...