Drobo!

Posted by: NucleusG4

Drobo! - 11/01/11 05:49 PM

I finally.. after 4? years.. pulled the trigger and bought the 4 bay for $239.0 and (5) 1.5 TB 5400 rpm WD Caviar Green drives (oem new Pulls) for $250.
So I am in for 5 bills and have a smart raid that will start with 6 TBs ( with a 1.5 drive back up ready to pop in..) and a whole lotta work this week to get a crap load of info backed up.
Finally!
I will post some reviews once I get into it.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Drobo! - 11/01/11 05:55 PM

SO you shrunk 6 Tb into 6 Gb ?? and it cost you $500 smackers !?? crazy

HA ! look what you wrote Nuc ! laugh

I think you need a nice "cool one" after all that hard work, pal ! wink

Re: Drobo! - 11/01/11 06:13 PM

Huh?
I think you need to wipe off your bifocals...!

Re: Drobo! - 11/01/11 06:54 PM

Ah ha, you modded it, it did say GB not TB..

you sly fellow !! smile
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Drobo! - 11/01/11 07:05 PM

Why 5400 instead of 7200?

Re: Drobo! - 11/01/11 08:32 PM

That's what was available at that price and it's for back up.. I don't need speed.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 11:24 AM

I await your review!

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 11:38 AM

Gotcha. Ok, so yeah, let's hear about it! I'm jealous!

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 12:12 PM

Plug in 4 1.5 TB drives and attach to Mac via USB cable since I am using the one FW 800 port for my camera.
Plug in power and use Drobo to format drives. II set the ceiling for this volume at the max... 16 TB.....once I have reached that I will have to make a new volume.
The Drobo dashboard has a nice enough GUI.. and gives me the very basics. Although, as usual, the Mac consumer gets left in the cold. I saw a website where you can set several options including spin down time and such.. I don't see those options for the Mac version.
Also, you get a free app called PC Back up that works only with PCs. It allows you to designate folders and schedules. I don't have that as an option. Although i have read about users who just use DashBoard to monitor the state/health of the drives/system and use a 3rd party app for backing up/syncing, etc.

The unit itself is relatively nice with a respectable finished look.
I can barely hear the 4 drives and they must be pretty busy right accepting my first load of 260 GBs. It's a wee bit slow, partly due to the drives, and partly because it's just that way. Reviews have stated it to be much slower than your typical back up solution.. but then other solutions are typical RAIDs with their inherent limitations.
Also a bit slow partly due to the first time is going to take the longest since it has to write data all over the place.

This review is for the FS.. but the essentials are the same.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/reviews/personal-tech/storage-memory/231602028?pgno=1

Also, the auto registration wouldn't work.. hit a dead end on their site.. so I had to log in and do it.

There were a myriad of options at the beginning like setting it up as a network share and such.. you can see more specifics here.

http://dashboardhelp.datarobotics.com/guide/200/en/index.htm

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 12:43 PM

Whoops! Found it!
All kinds of options to choose folders and set schedules... my bad.

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 12:45 PM

You can also set up email alerts as to what got transferred and also alerts as to any drive/health issues.

You can set folders to be excluded and you can opt for any items in the To: folder that are not present in the From: folder to be deleted.

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 12:49 PM

I put in (4 ) 1.5 TB drives and have 5.45 "actual" to use... 1.39 is for "protection" and 4.06 is available for data.

Also, the descriptions read that you can use up to 2TB drives in these... but with the current firmware you can now use the newer 2.5 and 3 TB drives.

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 01:43 PM

Can you mix and match? Say have a 3TB with a couple of 2's?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Whoops! Found it!
All kinds of options to choose folders and set schedules... my bad.
Do the spin down settings work now too? Wonder if they would work using Crossover if not through OS X.

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Can you mix and match? Say have a 3TB with a couple of 2's?

LOL.. you need to go their site and read about the Drobo and how it works. That's one of the positives about SmartRaid.

http://www.drobo.com/how-it-works/index.php

Re: Drobo! - 11/02/11 05:07 PM

I can't find any spin down settings.
I need to check with their support... but the site says that after 15 minutes of inactivity they automatically go into standby mode/spin down. But the site also lists this as a software feature.

http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo/index.php

Also, at the bottom of page:

Power and Cooling
External Power Supply: AC Input - 100-240VAC~2.5A, 50-60Hz; DC Output - 12-17VDC 6.6A & 80W Max
Power Consumption - Idle System (standby, drives off): 12 watts
Power Consumption - Typical Busy System (four drives): 40 watts
Single, fixed cooling fan

====

Additional Software Features
Drive Spin Down
Drobo Copy

===

Also, if you click on Buy Now.. you will see they still want $400.00 so B&Hs $239.00 shipped ain't bad.
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Drobo! - 11/03/11 03:22 AM

Congratulations.. I was planning on getting one & connect it to the Airport Extreme. But was a bit hesitant from the negative reviews I read at amazon.com

Re: Drobo! - 11/03/11 04:39 AM

I remember seeing some negative reviews.. but overall it seemed to be mostly positives. Do you remember which ones or what the issues were so I can keep an eye on it?

Re: Drobo! - 11/03/11 05:03 AM

There was talk about unexpectedly disconnecting, or simply general failure that requires restarting the drobo.. Such glitches are usually solved with firmware updates, but I decided to wait until the dust settles.

But your positive experience sounds encouraging. My photo archives are just scattered on piles of unscanned negatives/positives, CDs, DVDs, and hard disks. I need to store them on a RAID system before they go (or I go) up in smoke smile

Re: Drobo! - 11/03/11 07:55 AM

I thought you were going to say that...firmware issues. I read the same things yesterday.
It seems that at one time you had to seek out firmware updates sometimes.. it wouldn't auto update along with the softwares auto update. Apparently been fixed.
The several I was reading about were FW issues that would be fixed when switched over to USB. Fixed, on that account anyways.

Quote:
My photo archives are just scattered on piles of unscanned negatives/positives, CDs, DVDs, and hard disks. I need to store them on a RAID system before they go (or I go) up in smoke

This was my problem too. As a photographer I have Blu Rays with clients archives... 5 or disks with multiple copies of jobs at various states, my wifes personal photos and video which are around 240 GB right now.. and I have recently purchased 2 1080p camcorders... and have a baby girl who turns 3 this month. (you can't shoot enough HD of the kid, trust me)
I gotta get this sh!t under control!!!!

Re: Drobo! - 11/03/11 10:46 AM

Indeed, it ads up to a lot smile

Re: Drobo! - 11/03/11 11:03 AM

OK.. I just now finally made it in to my studio. When I left yesterday I had a bunch of files copying and was copying most of the day...so it never had a 15 minute break. I just came in and popped off the cover. All drives were silent and cool to the touch.. so it does appear everything spun down on its own. Nice.

Re: Drobo! - 11/04/11 04:28 PM

Are you willing to make a test?
Pull out one of the disks, insert a new one, and see if it can rebuild it smile

** defibrillator on standby **

Re: Drobo! - 11/04/11 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: walzuhair

LOL !! laugh laugh

Lesson 1 : Never sword play with "The Sheik" !! wink

Re: Drobo! - 11/04/11 06:47 PM

I have the 4 bay.. but was reading a Drobo review the other day..(can't find it now) and he was reviewing the 5 bay. He decided to test that functionality and pulled a drive then popped it back in... then another and popped it back in.. then he pulled a drive completely and then another completely. He said that not only did it not falter but that all data was still accessible.

I would not want to try a 2 drive failure on a 4 bay though.....

Re: Drobo! - 11/04/11 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: walzuhair

Actually.. that's a great idea. I have a 5th drive so after I load this puppy up a bit more I'll try that.

Re: Drobo! - 11/04/11 06:55 PM

DLC, LOL smile

NucleusG4, looking forward to it.. Can you video record it and throw it on YouTube?

Note: You're both David, so I had to use your usernames smile

Re: Drobo! - 11/04/11 08:50 PM

Video tape what... my pulling out a drive?
I have read that the rebuild can take a looong time...

Or were you wanting a time lapse video? If you want me to exert that much effort.. you're gonna hafta pay me!

Wassamatta.. you don't trust me? You gotta have a YT video??? LOL

Re: Drobo! - 11/05/11 12:15 PM

Sorry if lead you to understand that.. But I thought the swapping might contain steps that are useful for the rest of us to see, hence the video request. wink

Re: Drobo! - 11/24/11 09:50 AM

Dangit!
Now the 5 bay Network model is on sale for only $100.00 more than I paid for my 4 Bay.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Drobo/Ntt/DRDRDS2A21*/N/0

Re: Drobo! - 11/24/11 12:33 PM

Let me ask Nuc... why not just get couple of 2 Tb drives? They're cheap now. That Drobo is only 3 Tb max... IF you could get the 15 Tb for that price I could see it.

Question 2: If it has 5 bays, why is it only 3Tb ??

Please enlighten me. wink

Re: Drobo! - 11/24/11 04:19 PM

That unit takes 5 drives.. up to 3TB each. 15 TBs!
Buy some Enterprise level HDs and not have to worry for a looong time about upgrading.

Re: Drobo! - 11/25/11 08:08 AM

Oh I thought the 3Tb was the whole unit !! blush

DUH !! crazy
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Drobo! - 11/25/11 09:01 AM

Dangit!
Now the 5 bay Network model is on sale for only $100.00 more than I paid for my 4 Bay.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Drobo/Ntt/DRDRDS2A21*/N/0

Ignore that kind of stuff now that you've already bought it -- otherwise you'll drive yourself (more?) crazy! =D

Re: Drobo! - 11/25/11 09:41 AM

Don't fret it. Not only is network backup still flaky, unless you have a complete gigabit network it can be an effort in frustration and functionality.

When it works right it's great, but when is the key word.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Drobo! - 11/25/11 11:23 AM

For most people I'd recommend Crashplan.com over a networked backup. That's what I use.

Re: Drobo! - 11/25/11 11:47 AM

I wasn't so interested in the Network aspect so much as that with 5 drives if you have 2 go down at 1 time you're ok. Not so sure with the 4 bay model.

Re: Drobo! - 11/25/11 01:47 PM

I wasn't so interested in the Network aspect so much as that with 5 drives if you have 2 go down at 1 time you're ok. Not so sure with the 4 bay model.
If I'm reading that right, $529.95, the price is sans HDs though.

Plus it's network only, no USB, FW.

Re: Drobo! - 11/26/11 02:12 AM

Quote:
Plus it's network only, no USB, FW.

You are right! Thanks...I feel better.

Re: Drobo! - 02/21/13 10:33 AM

OK.. it's been 15 months and all is well.
I have used 1.11 TBs and have 2.94 left.
When I get closer to being full I will start tossing out less relevant jobs that are older than 3 years.. and also some raw files and just keep the processed ones.
I have a lot of HD video on here that I converted to MP4s and I have most of all the family photos (wife has 50+GB alone).
There was an incident where I accidentally unplugged the unit from back of iMac and it went fubar for a few minutes (unrecognizable). A quick call to support and was well.

Re: Drobo! - 06/03/14 12:14 PM

2.5 years and going strong. Only half full. No problems.
Would buy it again.