What external Burner works with iDVD?

Posted by: iMacsoontobe

What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 08:19 AM

For the 2 or 3 times a year I need to burn a cd or dvd, it seems senseless to spend over 200 for an internal superdrive.

I thought I had read that iDVD doesn't play well with some external burners.

TIA

Joe
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 08:49 AM

Look for a superdrive, I think.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 09:10 AM

??? Don't want to put a new internal in for over $200.

Apple has this...but it seems it may only be compatible with Macbook Air and mini..

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC684ZM/A?mco=MTk0NDQ5OTk

Saw this on Bestbuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+8x+External+USB+2.0+DL+DVD&%23177%3BRW/CD-RW+Rewriter/1019457.p?id=1218209647732&skuId=1019457&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx#BVRRWidgetID

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 09:26 AM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+8x+External+USB+2.0+DL+DVD&%23177%3BRW/CD-RW+Rewriter/1019457.p?id=1218209647732&skuId=1019457&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx#BVRRWidgetID
Posted by: Jim_

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 09:36 AM

I don't know if the BestBuy one will work with OS X. I have to run out, check back tonight. I'll see what will work. We can find something around the same price.

I forget, which Mac do you have and what version of the OS?

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 09:41 AM

Thanks Reboot, SnowLeopard, iMac 2008 I think 2.4 dualcore2...

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 09:43 AM

This should work. Really have to go now. Bye. smile

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-External-Optical-SE-S084D-TSBS/dp/B0044DEDBG
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

Faster compatible one here too (also a Samsung mechanism):

OWC

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 11:48 AM

OWC..good call.
The LaCie models are also compatible..pricey though I'll bet.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 11:57 AM

Don't forget.. not that you would want to do it on a permanent basis.. but you can get around the incompatibility by making a disk image upon export and then the image will burn on any burner.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 12:36 PM

Thanks to everyone!! smile

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: iMacsoontobe
For the 2 or 3 times a year I need to burn a cd or dvd, it seems senseless to spend over 200 for an internal superdrive.

I thought I had read that iDVD doesn't play well with some external burners.

TIA

Joe

Why not find a compatible internal? Is this a laptop?

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 04:03 PM

iMac 20inch

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo

OWC
That one has a power supply to plug in though, it's not bus powered. I like the bus powered for keeping things tidy I guess, and ease of storage if one doesn't use it regularly.

The speed thing is over rated IMO. I burn a lot of DVDs, 100s over the years, and even more CDs. Being able to burn that fast, and getting a successful burn are two different matters though. My 2 Pioneer internals go to 16x but I never burn past 4x or 8x for reliability. I've found that burning at max gives too many coasters on the 4 different pioneer drives I've burned through over the years. I use good name brand blanks too.

I guess if one was doing production burning all day or something it would be worth going 16x and getting a few coasters to save the 5 minutes longer it takes to burn 8x.

The Matshˇta in my iMac can never burn any disc max, I have always had to choose 4x. It doesn't have much use on it either, it's always been that way. The elderly couple I got the machine from didn't even own any blanks. I usually just take it to the old G4 with the reliable Pioneer drives.

Well iMacsoontobe, you should have enough ammo to make a decision as to what suits your needs. smile

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Why not find a compatible internal?
For the few times a year he says he would use it I wouldn't recommend replacing the internal anyway. He doesn't want to take the iMac apart if remember right so it would be well over $200 to take it in to have it done. I would charge $120 plus the drive which is around the standard labor charge to do that job.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Why not find a compatible internal?
For the few times a year he says he would use it I wouldn't recommend replacing the internal anyway. He doesn't want to take the iMac apart if remember right so it would be well over $200 to take it in to have it done. I would charge $120 plus the drive which is around the standard labor charge to do that job.

Yah.. I got it. I didn't know it was an iMac...

On another note.. I get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden
and they work great and are pretty inexpensive.
I go ..... here

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo

OWC
That one has a power supply to plug in though, it's not bus powered. I like the bus powered for keeping things tidy I guess, and ease of storage if one doesn't use it regularly.

The speed thing is over rated IMO. I burn a lot of DVDs, 100s over the years, and even more CDs. Being able to burn that fast, and getting a successful burn are two different matters though. My 2 Pioneer internals go to 16x but I never burn past 4x or 8x for reliability. I've found that burning at max gives too many coasters on the 4 different pioneer drives I've burned through over the years. I use good name brand blanks too.

I guess if one was doing production burning all day or something it would be worth going 16x and getting a few coasters to save the 5 minutes longer it takes to burn 8x.

The Matshˇta in my iMac can never burn any disc max, I have always had to choose 4x. It doesn't have much use on it either, it's always been that way. The elderly couple I got the machine from didn't even own any blanks. I usually just take it to the old G4 with the reliable Pioneer drives.

Well iMacsoontobe, you should have enough ammo to make a decision as to what suits your needs. smile

Thanks much Reboot!!

I do have plenty of info now.

The one on Amazon does have some negative reviews, but I guess you'll have that. Not sure why the Apple one for Macbook Air and Mini's isn't compatible, cause I would probably buy that knowing Apple would back it up. For the the first four years of owning my first iMac, I bought only Apple branded DVD's, they were like$2.50 each I think. I may go the Bestbuy route, only for the easy return factor if it doesn't fly. One of the "negatives" with the self powered seems to be needing 2 USB ports instead of one? That was according to the reviews on Amazon.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 07/26/11 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: iMacsoontobe
One of the "negatives" with the self powered seems to be needing 2 USB ports instead of one? That was according to the reviews on Amazon.
I see, it's the two power plug kind. From the reviews it seems that the Macs, even the MacBook Air can run with just one cable plugged in though. I have portable external HDs with the dual cable. They work fine on my Macs with one cable. Usually it's Windows laptops that need the extra power from the second port connection. If you're not going to be using it that much and can get by with taking up two ports if needed for the times that you have it plugged in, the price is great. I doubt you'll need two though with that iMac.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/16/12 10:17 AM

Can I also use an external DVD burner to .......Plug old sony handycam into TV and while playing on TV burn a DVD of what is playing form Sony handycam into TV?

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/16/12 12:29 PM

I doubt that. You'd have to connect the Sony to the computer probably. You need some kind of media interface on the computer to capture the analog input from the camera.

Or did you mean connect the DVD burner directly to the TV also, in which case I haven't a clue on that one, probably not though. I can't keep up with all this stuff myself. grin I doubt the TV would do a USB interface with the DVD player much less have burning capabilities.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/17/12 04:07 AM

You need to plug the old Sonycam into your computer and transfer to your computer/iMovie, then burn it on a disk from iDVD. Or just go from camcorder to computer and then see if Toast will convert the files and then burn.
You can buy adapters if needed.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/18/12 03:25 AM

I decided to go with .........sending the tapes to a convert to dvd place...$12 per tape free shipping, we had 23 tapes so it will save alot of time and probably aggravation.
Thanks Reboot, hope all is well.

PS Is Ohio gonna go for Romney?

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/18/12 06:15 AM

Wow.. lotta dough for something you can easily do yourself....
Seriously... connect it to your mac and import to iMovie an then burn to disc.
Do 1 a night before you go to bed. Import at night from camcorder... get up and have iMovie export movie to iDVD ( conversion will take a while) ...go to work.. come home and burn... rinse and repeat.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/18/12 07:01 AM

I have done it many times with my Canon DV camcorder. The Sony with 8mm is old and doesn't always play well with iMovie. Also Sony needs repaired it will not play tapes, so probably looking at 100 to 150 to repair Handycam.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/18/12 07:16 AM

Well that's no good.
Maybe you could just borrow one from some one for a week....
Can you hook up the 8mm to the DV cam and transfer that way?
Oy... just spend the money and be done with it! LOL... I get that way sometimes too.

Re: What external Burner works with iDVD? - 10/18/12 07:57 AM

lol and that's the point I'm at!! But thanks for replying. smile

Hope all is well!