chirping sound

Posted by: musicalmarv7

chirping sound - 03/10/11 03:20 AM

All of a sudden I hear a small chirping sound from my MBP 13 inch 2010 model.Sounds like it coming from the keyboard not certain. What can this be?thanks Jerry
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: chirping sound - 03/10/11 03:24 AM

The fans...

Re: chirping sound - 03/11/11 03:40 AM

There is only 1 fan in the MBP 13 I have.Do you think this is the HD? This happens at night and on Mozilla Firefox not Safari? weird isn't it?

Re: chirping sound - 03/11/11 03:50 AM

?
1 fan can't chirp?
Posted by: carp

Re: chirping sound - 03/11/11 06:50 PM

More like the HD - I think.

My iMac chirps too, but only when I either reboot or re-start. And no it is not the disk arm that reads the platter that is making the noise, it is something else.

Re: chirping sound - 03/12/11 03:18 AM

If I install a SSD will this noise you think go away for good?

Re: chirping sound - 03/12/11 04:50 AM

If it's the HD, then this thread might interest you...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13168461&#13168461
Posted by: Jim_

Re: chirping sound - 03/12/11 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: jerryfox3
If I install a SSD will this noise you think go away for good?
Not if it's the fan.

Download this. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

You can adjust the speed of your fans. Increase the speed, if the chirping gets faster or louder it's the fan.

Re: chirping sound - 03/14/11 04:33 AM

Thanks for your input on this noise looked and heard the sounds on this website and none of them matched what I hear.

Re: chirping sound - 03/14/11 05:22 AM

I was more referring to the utility to check the S.M.A.R.T. status of your HD.

What is the current status now? You can see this at the bottom of Disk Utility.

Re: chirping sound - 03/15/11 04:07 AM

Thanks for this information you gave me.I verified the disc and it says it appears to be okay.I went through the verification process.Does this mean it is not the HD?

Re: chirping sound - 03/15/11 05:20 AM

Thanks for this information you gave me.I verified the disc and it says it appears to be okay.I went through the verification process.Does this mean it is not the HD?
Can't say for sure, did you try my suggestion about the fan controller to see if it is a fan?

Re: chirping sound - 03/15/11 05:53 AM

Quote:
Does this mean it is not the HD?

No. not 100%... but if you got a positive SMART verification.. it is a very good sign.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: chirping sound - 03/15/11 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Quote:
Does this mean it is not the HD?

No. not 100%... but if you got a positive SMART verification.. it is a very good sign.
I've gotten positive SMART verifications on failing drives before. Just sayin'.

Re: chirping sound - 03/16/11 04:15 AM

I downloaded this app and the fan seems to be good. last night I heard this sound from across the room in my bedroom when I was playing songs from i tunes.Coming from the left side of the laptop.Maybe it is a sensor going off with the HD stays at a certain point someone told me today.Actually an Apple tech I spoke with.

Re: chirping sound - 03/16/11 04:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe it is a sensor going off with the HD stays at a certain point someone told me today.Actually an Apple tech I spoke with.

Maybe he is right... but that makes no sense to me....

Do you use Microsoft Outlook?

Re: chirping sound - 03/16/11 05:50 AM

I downloaded this app and the fan seems to be good.
So you increased the speed of the fan to say around 3000 RPM and the noise didn't get faster or change speed?

If it didn't it appears it is the hard drive making the noise then, probably not a good sign.

Re: chirping sound - 03/20/11 04:54 AM

Never used it at all.Thanks

Re: chirping sound - 03/20/11 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I downloaded this app and the fan seems to be good.
So you increased the speed of the fan to say around 3000 RPM and the noise didn't get faster or change speed?

If it didn't it appears it is the hard drive making the noise then, probably not a good sign.

That would definitely narrow it down.

Re: chirping sound - 03/20/11 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
That would definitely narrow it down.
That's why I suggested it but I'm still waiting to see his results from the test instead of the guessing that's been going on. Don't know why he hasn't tried it yet. confused

There is a method to my madness. Most of the time. Eliminate what it's not first. Then examine what's left.

Re: chirping sound - 03/21/11 04:04 AM

Yeah, I know. I figured if I threw that in there.. he would go for it.

Re: chirping sound - 03/22/11 04:32 AM

It was the HD and Apple is replacing the second machine asap

Re: chirping sound - 03/22/11 03:55 PM

The whole computer is being replaced??
Wow.

Re: chirping sound - 03/23/11 04:06 AM

That is correct this is the second dud with problems and they are replacing it asap.

Re: chirping sound - 03/23/11 04:53 AM

That's Apple.
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: chirping sound - 03/24/11 07:18 AM

Some Macs (including my 1st-gen Air) make a little electronic whine or sound occasionally, especially while going to sleep. I forget what it is (not fan nor HD) but I remember researching it and not being worried.

Always best to assume the worst and investigate, though!

Re: chirping sound - 03/25/11 01:12 AM

It is the sound of the optical drive starting up and than the hard drive. I took it to an Apple Reseller and he said that is normal.Thanks for your input.

Re: chirping sound - 03/25/11 04:53 AM

It is the sound of the optical drive starting up and than the hard drive. I took it to an Apple Reseller and he said that is normal.Thanks for your input.
So they are not replacing the machine for you?

Re: chirping sound - 03/25/11 06:41 AM

LOL.. I noticed that too...that's the kind of thing that makes me think..mmmmm.sock.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: chirping sound - 03/25/11 11:31 AM

They did..this is the replacement! haha

Re: chirping sound - 03/25/11 01:43 PM

So he had 2 laptops that had a chirping sound? Odd, eh?

Re: chirping sound - 03/26/11 04:23 AM

It is not odd the quality control is not that great with Apple as read other problems happen with Mac Books.Problem after problem.Maybe if this product was made in the United States and not China these problems would not occur.Made in the USA people have pride behind their products and good quality control is better.

Re: chirping sound - 03/26/11 04:43 AM

I think you misunderstand me...
You have had 2 laptops that make a chirping sound. You said Apple replaced one.. now the other.
You also said an Apple guy said chirping was normal.
?
I guess the right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing at Apple.

Re: chirping sound - 03/26/11 07:55 PM

That is correct this is the second dud with problems and they are replacing it asap.

These 2 posts are what is confusing people, Jerry. Which is apple going to do?
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: chirping sound - 03/26/11 09:03 PM

It is not odd the quality control is not that great with Apple as read other problems happen with Mac Books.Problem after problem.Maybe if this product was made in the United States and not China these problems would not occur.Made in the USA people have pride behind their products and good quality control is better.

Problems are rare. Itís just that people post when they have a problem, not when they donít smile

Which laptops are made in the US?

Re: chirping sound - 03/26/11 09:04 PM

Either way.. as long as it gets replaced or fixed...it's all good.

Re: chirping sound - 03/27/11 05:11 AM

Let me clarify this once and for all.The second laptop Apple replaced was the optical drive and the hard drive was not working correctly.There are no reliable Apple Providers where I live here in Davao in the Philippines.Therefore they gave me a new one which is an i5 model and the new MBP 13 inch with 2.3 gig.They told me there was so mysterious undertaking going on here in Davao.That is what happened.

Re: chirping sound - 03/27/11 05:12 AM

Unfortunately the IBM use to be made in the USA no longer when they sold their laptop branch to Lenovo and years ago Dell.

Re: chirping sound - 03/27/11 05:14 AM

I posted my response John under Nucleus.Thanks

Re: chirping sound - 03/27/11 06:06 AM

oh, so you have 2 laptops. Ok. I didn't realize the thread was about 2 of them, you just switched topics mid-stream. Well, as long as they are fixed and running right, case closed.

Re: chirping sound - 03/28/11 04:33 AM

That is correct.Thanks for understanding me.Jerry