Monitor for Mac Mini?

Posted by: Mike

Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 09:54 AM

I'm looking for a good monitor for a Mac Mini. So far, I've had recommendations for Samsung monitors because they all seem to have DVI input/ports.
Any recommendation for other brands?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 10:19 AM

Any modern monitor is going to have DVI input. As long as your model of Mini can support it, you can get the largest monitor that it will support. The new Minis have HDMI out (they include the HDMI-DVI adapter) and a Mini Display port, and they support a much higher resolution than previous models. Samsung monitors are very good. I still like my Viewsonic 19" wide monitors that I'm currently using for both the Minis here. My wife's 1.66 GHz Mini has no trouble driving our 32" HDTV at its native resolution (1920x1080) via a DVI-HDMI cable.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 10:57 AM

Thanks for your advice! Do I need any additional special cables for the hook-up to the monitor, or does Apple include everything for immediate hook-up?
Posted by: carp

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 12:23 PM

Michael is right

And I hate to say it but I heard that Dell monitors are dang good too and cheap.

Anyway I do side with View Sonic , never been disappointed.

Happy Sight Seeing laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 12:58 PM

Check out the bottom of this page for your options, it doesn't come with any adapters.

If the link times out just go to the Apple Store site, Select a mini, the options are on the next page after Select.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 01:24 PM

Thats interesting

Both my Minis came with a VGA Adopter . Must have excluded them.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 02:05 PM

They do have an HDMI to DVI adapter, I see now. My bad.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 03:26 PM

I said that already. laugh

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 03:42 PM

I was taking 5 from raking the last of the $#!*@ leaves, probably oxygen depraved. (carpŠ) I saw where you mentioned that it comes with the adapter when I came in the second time.

Well excuuuuuse me! grin

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Both my Minis came with a VGA Adopter.
That's a keeper for the dictionary of carpisms. cool smile
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
oxygen depraved. (carpŠ)

Yeah, I hear oxygen has that effect on some people. Mostly Martians but hey, who's counting toes, eh?

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 03:49 PM

So, no special adapters/cables, etc. are needed, right? Just plug it in?
I thought I read somewhere that one had to get special adapters for the Mac mini. But I guess this was for the older ones...
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/28/10 04:00 PM

The Mini has a mini-DVI port, Mike, but it also has an HDMI port, and it comes with an HDMI to DVI adaptor according to the Apple Store specs.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 11/29/10 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I was taking 5 from raking the last of the $#!*@ leaves, probably oxygen depraved. (carpŠ) I saw where you mentioned that it comes with the adapter when I came in the second time.

Well excuuuuuse me! grin

No problem big guy laugh

I will say that in this current Apple (photo) - mine came with the adopter only . <-- no Pig Tail , like shown in the photo.
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 12/01/10 10:58 PM

Hooked up a buddy over the Summer with a Hannspree 22" (21.5" actual) monitor. US$139 + sales tax at Staples. I saw in the Sunday paper that somebody has them now for the same price.

I did the research and it specs and compares pretty decently with other monitors of the same size, many for much more money. It's tough to go wrong at that price.

EDIT: Even cheaper...
http://www.staples.com/Hannspree-HF225DPB-22-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/product_864217

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 12/04/10 05:35 PM

Well, I found a nice 22" Viewsonic for about $150. No HDMI port but DVI. Works flawlessly with the additional Apple adapter. That small Mac Mini is a gem!
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 12/12/10 10:59 AM

I'm not a fan of Viewsonic - had 2 at work that stopped working after 8 or 9 months. But I've had my Dell 30" LCD for quite a while and love it (cost nearly half what the Apple 30" cost at the time). The Dell ULTRASHARP models are quite good. Samsung makes decent ones as well.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 12/12/10 01:36 PM

IIRC, Samsung or Sharp make the Dell monitors. My 2 Viewsonics are going fine after three years of use so far.

Re: Monitor for Mac Mini? - 12/12/10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Phosphor
Hooked up a buddy over the Summer with a Hannspree 22" (21.5" actual) monitor. US$139 + sales tax at Staples. I saw in the Sunday paper that somebody has them now for the same price.
Wonder if that's the same as Hanns-G. I bought a couple of 19" over 3 years ago for around $130. They are not the quality of a Dell or Apple but I don't do graphics. At the time they compared to monitors around $250-300. Both are still going strong, but on one, the one used the most, I did have to replace the caps on the fluorescent power supply/starter board. About $1 in cost. It was an obvious fix, most of them were swollen.

That is usually the problem with an LCD that goes out/won't start, the caps go bad is all.