Oh yeah, its heating up!

Posted by: Trog

Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 09:24 AM

There has been a boatload of rumors lately about the PowerPC 970 actually being in production... but since they're always from the same sources (especially a French one...just kidding ) it doesn't mean too much.<br><br>But, how about this article at arstechnica "the PC enthusiast's resource". There is a long, two part technical article about the 970, its performance, comparisons, etc.<br><br>Some interesting sections in it if you don't want to read it:<br>The fact that the Altivec unit was slapped onto the design, leaving some room for improvement in future iterations, leaves no doubt that the 970 achieved its present form under pressure from Apple and that Apple will be rolling out systems based on the new processor. This is the most plausible and reasonable explanation for the way the vector unit looks. If the 970 were solely intended as a Linux desktop platform for IBM, they would've preferred to reduce the 970's die size, power consumption, time-to-market, etc. by just leaving out the Altivec unit altogether, instead of shoehorning it into the design the way they did.<br><br>and this:<br>Finally, as I've mentioned a number of times in this article and in other places, the 970 is made for SMP designs. So I look for the top-end 970 machines from both Apple and IBM to be dual-processor right out of the gate. And in fact, I would expect that machines with four processors and more are in the works from both companies.<br><br>Finally, turning once again to Apple's use of the 970, I believe that Apple is poised for a huge overhaul of its hardware line based on this processor and a renewed relationship with IBM. I'm finally convinced that Apple's days of wandering in the wilderness with Motorola are over, and that personal computer users will be able to see the Mac as a real option again in terms of desktop, and not just portable, performance.<br><br>Whoa, let the quad processor rumors start up again. MOSR will be so pleased <br><br>The greatest thing though is that it is nice to see a "non-Apple rumor" site completely convinced that Apple is going to use the 970. Now, hopefully the other rumors are correct and these machines are being built!<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 09:45 AM

It would appear by looking at the rumor sites and this tech doc that Apple is further along than most (including myself and my "sources") thought. It would be lovely if they released a 970-based PowerMac with a new enclosure by June as anticipated by the rumor sites. Unfortunately, I won't be ready for an upgrade to my system until next year. <br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 10:17 AM

Ahhh, but that depends on what "ready for an upgrade..." means! <br>My wife certainly differs in opinion on what "ready" means, and I may just have to risk divorce for one of these.<br><br>On the bright side of waiting though, it sounds like the days of ridiculous 150MHz "speed bumps" by Motorola are finally coming to an end. From what I've read this processor and its successor are just getting started, but moving fast. I don't think its just a pipe dream anymore to imagine the following timeline for high-end macs:<br><br>This summer: dual 1.8 GHz PPC970<br>Next summer/fall: QUAD 2.5Ghz PPC980<br><br>With all the other improvements (full DDR support and room for much more RAM, hypertransport, huge bus speed, etc.) I don't think its easy to even imagine what a system like that second one would be like!<br><br>How about rendering a movie in Final cut, listening to iTunes and chatting with friends on iChat 2.0 video conferencing without the computer even heating up? Its coming.<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 10:41 AM

And I was just thinking of upgrading my current system within a few months. If this rumor pans out to reality, I'll just sit and wait a few, and see what happens.<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 11:44 AM

heh heh, I love Slashdot. This got posted over there and as that site goes there are hundreds of responses in a matter of minutes. Even the author is over there taking a good share of criticism of the article.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 12:32 PM

Slashdot <br><br>But interesting news for sure.<br><br>And you're right about differences in opinion between otherwise blissfully married and at-one couples <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: squareman

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 02:39 PM

Yeah, what is the deal with Slashdot? I have tried a number of times to get into the site, but I find it just so unreadable and unusable that I eject within minutes. Is it just me? It such a heavily trafficked and referenced site, that I think I must be crazy.<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 04:32 PM

yeah, its the king of geek sites . They actually have a saying that when a webserver goes down it has been "slashdotted", because when a story gets posted there so many people hit the site at once that unless it is a very good high-volume server it just melts from the load <br><br>I've been registered there for almost a year and I think I've posted once. Most of the time I just look around in awe at all the fervant threads. However, its kinda like the 7-11 of webnews, it NEVER closes and new stories are added 24/7. True geeks, baby.<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/14/03 04:53 PM

Nope, it's not just you square... Just looking at the site gives me a headache, let alone reading it!<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/15/03 06:18 AM

Has slashdot ever got slashdotted?<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/15/03 08:01 AM

Um, yeah... that's why they came up with the name!<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/15/03 09:05 AM

This is from their FAQ:<br><br>What does the name "Slashdot" mean?<br> "Slashdot" is a sort of obnoxious parody of a URL. When I originally registered the domain, I wanted to make the URL silly, and unpronounceable. Try reading out the full URL to http://slashdot.org and you'll see what I mean. Of course my cocky little joke has turned around and bit me in the butt because now I am called upon constantly to tell people my URL or email address. I can't tell you how many people respond confused "So do I spell out the 'dot' or is that just a period?" <br><br>Answered by: CmdrTaco <br><br>What is the "Slashdot Effect?"<br> When Slashdot links a site, often a lot of readers will hit the link to read the story or see the purty pictures. This can easily throw thousands of hits at the site in minutes. Most of the time, large professional websites have no problem with this, but often a site we link will be a smaller site, used to getting only a few thousand hits a day. When all those Slashdot readers start crashing the party, it can saturate the site completely, causing the site to buckle under the strain. When this happens, the site is said to be "Slashdotted." <br><br>Recently, the terms "Slashdot Effect" and "Slashdotted" have been used more generally to refer to any short-term traffic jam at a website. <br><br>We could conceivably cache pages, but that's a whole different ball of wax. <br><br>Answered by: CmdrTaco <br><br>So, the term "slashdotting" orginated at the Slashdot website, but they don't mention anything about getting "slashdotted" themsleves. Its probably happened at some point with all those impatient geeks milling around.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/27/03 07:57 AM

The latest...<br><br>MacBidouille claims that the first 970 PowerPC machines are assembled, stacked and ready to be shipped to resellers. According to the article, the boxes are also sealed with a tamper proof seal with warnings not to open before June 23rd.<br><br> There have been conflicting rumors regarding the availability of 970 machines. This rumor would indicate immediate availability at/after WWDC's Keynote. <br><br>I'll tell ya, if this 'MacBidouille' is wrong they are going to be tar and feathered by angry mac rumor fanatics. <br>What? Who, me? Oh no, I'm talking about those other, crazy mac rumor fanatics. <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/27/03 08:02 AM

So what's the speed going to look like if, in fact, this rumor is true?<br><br>Are we talking over 2ghz?<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/27/03 08:09 AM

Under a month, Trog. Patience <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/27/03 08:17 AM

I doubt it. Most rumors are for 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 GHz, but I think even a 1.4 970 single easily beats up a 1.4 dual G4 and a Pentium 4 at 3GHz. So you could imagine what they'd be like as dual configurations but... again, rumors!<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/27/03 08:18 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Under a month, Trog. Patience<p><hr></blockquote><p>aaaaAAAAARRGG! *head explodes*<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 08:42 AM

<em>but I think even a 1.4 970 single easily beats up a 1.4 dual G4 and a Pentium 4 at 3GHz.</em><br><br>While I don't agree at all with this, it's certainly in the realm of possibility for certain tasks, and those result will be anxiously awaited. I like that the rumor site put a specific date out there so that we can either trust or discount their sources in the future depending on whether they were right or not.<br><br>neye<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 12:29 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>think even a 1.4 970 single easily beats up a 1.4 dual G4 and a Pentium 4 at 3GHz.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Only in your dreams, and the marketing literature at IBM... but in the real world this simply won't be true (the Pentium 4 3ghz part). I'm sure it will be faster than a dual G4, but that isn't really that hard to do.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 02:04 PM

Ok, I obviously worded that incorrectly and I'm gettin' some flame here (rightly so). I'm clearly over zealous about this whole issue, and not for any really good reason. Plus, there is no hard data out there to back this up anyway but for the sake of gossiping...<br><br>I'll "bet" that a single 970 cpu clocked at 1.4 would be faster than a dual G4 at 1.4. I don't see how anyone could not agree with that. Presently, dual processing increases the performance of a G4 tower by something like 30-50% right?? Its definitely not double anyway, and I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying that updated motherboards with 970s will at least double the performance of the current G4s at the same clockspeed. Heck, the gigantic improvement in bus speed alone is going to make a huge differnce.<br><br>But, when comparing to pentium, the type of benchmarks always makes a difference and comparing a 1.4 GHz 970 to a Pentium 3GHz might not be a fair comparison anyway. Most likely the 1.4 will be the low-end model, while currently, a 3 GHz Pentium is still high end.<br><br>So, to rephrase, I "bet" a high-end Powermac (perhaps dual 1.8Ghz 970?) will smoke a 3 GHz Pentium Windows box. Certainly the pentium won't stay at 3 GHz, but neither will the 970 stay at 1.8, supposedly its already being tested at 2.5GHz. Therefore what I should have said was... high-end powermac vs. high-end Wintel.<br><br>Is that still a pipe dream? <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 04:43 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>aaaaAAAAARRGG! *head explodes*<p><hr></blockquote><p><< wiping screen >><br><br> <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 05:35 PM

I hate to do this to youTrog... but the 970 is not going to be double the performance compared to that of the G4, especially when you compare a 1.4ghz 970 to a dual 1.42ghz G4 - in fact, the dual G4 would probably be much faster, depending on what apps you compare it with.<br><br>Dual processors make a huge difference - it's just that many people don't use apps that take advantage of it. If you take a single 1 ghz G4 and compare it to a dual 800mhz G4 running Photoshop filters on a large file for instance, the dual processor G4 will easily beat up on the 1ghz Mac. However, if you compare them running MS Word, or even the finder for example, the 1ghz will most likely be faster, but not by much (if noticeable at all).<br><br>As far as comparing the 970 to Windows boxes... A duel 1.8ghz 970 Mac won't smoke a 3ghz Pentium, but it will probably be the same, or a bit faster at some tasks - but for the most part, the Pentium will be faster.<br><br>While the MHZ Myth is truthful in most respects, don't forget that the MHZ Myth is a product of Apple marketing. Also don't forget that 90% of the Windows-using public only use MSWord and Excel - and asking them to compare it to a Mac is just pointless because MS Office on the PC is faster on a 400mhz PC with 128mb of RAM than it is on a dual 1ghz G4 with 1gb RAM - it's just the way Windows works with MS's apps.<br><br>Of course, all these speed ratings you read all over the net are usually based on raw processor tests (test run without the overhead of an OS and any apps). So of course in the real world tests, the processors are MUCH slower - which is where the MHZ Myth also comes into play. The OS has a lot to do with the speed of the computer. If the OS doesn't take advantage of a processors speed, it will just kill the speed.<br><br>Now that I've said all that, please take it with a grain of salt, because I'm still drugged up from surgery and I'm not even sure if I'm totally awake right now! <br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 05:56 PM

La, la, la, la! I'm not listening to Gizmo! La, la la! *plugging ears, and repeating "970 will rule!", over and over...*<br><br>besides... you're HIGH right now! <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 07:01 PM

hehehehe.... don't get me wrong, them fancy new fangled processors are gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 08:11 PM

I think you are incorrect in saying a dual 1.4 GHz G4 will beat a PPC 970 1.4GHz, they never did take full advantage of the G4's speed because of the slow FSB on the motherboard. If the new Powermacs do have the 900MHz FSB you should see a huge improvement over the G4 towers. But i guess we'll see in a few weeks (hopefully) just how fast they really are. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:20 PM

yeah... YEAH! You tell 'em Greenme! <br><br>"a few weeks"? OOOoohhhh, slobber, drool...<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:32 PM

Now watch, just because i said that Apple will release slightly improved G4s at 1.6GHz at WWDC! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:39 PM

Bite your tongue!<br>Don't even think about such horrible things!<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:43 PM

Your right, Apple would rather go with an IBM chip.... So they will put new G3s in their PowerMacs! <br><br>I bet Nutty is laughing his head off right now..... <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:49 PM

On a side note MacBidouille said that one of the prototype motherboards has two different types of ports on it they could not identify.... If that's true i wonder what they could be?<br><br>Here is a Sherlock translation:<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Our source which has (would have for more the skeptics) have in hand a<br>mother board of PPC 970 brings some details to us. The epoxy one of<br>the card is red dark (normal for a proto APPLE).<br> <br> Here connectors present: - 2 FW800<br>- 1 FW400<br>- 3 USB<br>- 3 Connectors sound<br>- There are also 5 additional connectors which it did not succeed in<br>identifying. A group of 3 and another of 2. <br>- 4 of the 8 slots memory<br>are not active on the card (they were tested by withdrawing the famous<br>label delicately that APPLE had stuck to it)<br> <br> It does not remain us any more that to know with what the 5<br>not-identified connectors are reserved.<p><hr></blockquote><p>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:51 PM

Lord that's a raunchy translation!<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 09:57 PM

Are you volunteering to translate it? <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:09 PM

Where the heck is RJ-45 Ethernet?? What, are they supposed to be wireless only now?<br><br>If MacBidouille is completely lying about all this stuff I'm going to fly to France and put my foot up their 'Bidouille'!<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:10 PM

LOL, i guess they either forgot to mention it or there are two Ethernet ports! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:20 PM

Sure. Here goes:<br><br>[color:blue]Notre source qui a (aurait pour les plus sceptiques) eu en main une carte mère de PPC 970 nous apporte quelques détails. L'epoxy de la carte est rouge foncé (normal pour un proto Apple).<br> <br> Voici les connecteurs présents:<br> - 2 FW800<br> - 1 FW400<br> - 3 USB<br> - 3 Connecteurs son<br> - Il y a également 5 connecteurs supplémentaires qu'il n'a pas réussi à identifier. Un groupe de 3 et un autre de 2.<br> - 4 des 8 slots mémoire ne sont pas actifs sur la carte (ils ont été testés en retirant délicatement la fameuse étiquette qu'Apple y avait collé)<br> <br> Il ne nous reste plus qu'à savoir à quoi sont dévolus les 5 connecteurs non-identifiés.</font color=blue><br><br>Our source, who for the sake of the most sceptical [readers] has held in his hands the PPC 970 motherboard, has reported to us some of the details. The board's plastic is dark red (normal for an Apple prototype).<br><br>Here is a list of the ports:<br>- 2 FW 800<br>- 1 FW 400<br>- 3 USB<br>- 3 Sound connectors<br>- There are also five extra ports which he was unable to identify: a group of three and another of two.<br>- 4 of the 8 memory slots on the board are not functional (they were tested by delicately removing the renowned sticker that Apple had pasted on the board)<br><br>Nothing remains but to figure out the function of the 5 unidentified stationary objects (that's my joke--really "5 unidentified ports.")<br><br>By the way, you missed a later posting:<br><br>[color:blue]Nous avons eu des infos sur une partie des connecteurs externes mystérieux de la carte mère PPC 970.<br> L'un d'eux (et probablement 2) est un connecteur Fiber channel pour brancher par exemple un Xserve RAID.</font color=blue><br><br>We've had further information about one group of the mystery ports on the PPC 970 motherboard.<br>One of them, and probably two, is a fiber channel port for connecting, for example, an XServe RAID.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 05/30/03 01:22 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:24 PM

Thanks Yoyo! <br><br>So they might have a fiber optic ports on the new PMs? That would be cool, if not over kill. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:41 PM

I also like French fries, although I don't like French dressing.<br><br>I think Parisians are OK.<br><br>And now I'm waiting for the tread of booted feet and that sharp knock on the front door <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:47 PM

"Put the Freedom fries down, and stand against the wall!"<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:56 PM

Jawohl, mein Herr!<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/29/03 10:59 PM

ROTFL<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/30/03 12:59 AM

Anyone besides me think that a 970 announcement is highly unlikely? I guess I mean, they may "mention it," they may even mention specs, but to announce a shipping date or have them ready at the show just seems unlikely to me. If they were going to ship them at the show, I would think there would be A) A price reduction on existing models. B) MASSIVE amounts of information about them floating around on the net [regarding specs, etc...]. C) EVERY rumor site would be just overflowing with speculation about them. D) SOMEONE would have broken the NDA and posted a photo of the new boards/cases.<br><br>I hope I'm wrong, I think Apple NEEDS to get something totally new out the door before the end of the year. But WWDC is just a few weeks away, Panther isn't even complete yet (and won't be until around September according to Apple). I can't see Apple shipping a 64-bit computer without a 64-bit-capable OS to go with it.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/30/03 05:03 AM

I'm not expecting any hardware announcements at WWDC at all. WWDC is all about Panther. An announcement at MWNY is a little more likely - with shipping of systems in late September.<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/30/03 06:38 AM

See that's the part I think they WON'T do. It would be incredibly foolish of them to "announce" it in June and not ship to September. That would basically guarantee that they won't sell a single G4 from June to September.<br><br>Instead, I see them offering package deals or discounts on existing G4s for 3 months, then announce the availability of the 970s.<br><br>This of course is if they aren't going to do what I think they're going to do, which is release a 970-based Xserve. <br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/30/03 08:49 AM

Well if they release a 970 Xserve it's as good as announcing that 970 PMs are around the corner, and so much for selling any of the current G4s <br><br>I'm assuming that there will be a 970-based PM at some point, and it will be really interesting to see how Apple handles the forward migration.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/30/03 08:49 AM

I do agree with that. Its just too good to be true for them to release powermacs next month, and we haven't heard anything about them. I expect nothing but Panther next month... but there is always hope.<br><br>Seems right to say they will be available when Panther is available. However, if Panther is going to be 64 bit, and they talk about that at WWDC, won't they need a machine to demo it on?? Seems like a catch-22, unless the rumors about Panther being 64 bit are false too.<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 05/30/03 10:49 AM

Panther is being Demoed next month, but it's release isn't set til later this year... so I guess it's possible they may use a 970 machine to demo it, but not announce it. WWDC is typically all about the software.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 01:47 PM

Oh boy, now a site (eweek.com) with actual journalism skills is predicting 970 based machines BEFORE Panther rolls out this fall! 14 days to find out! <br><br>LINK<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 01:50 PM

Some more of the same info over at thinksecret.com this week too.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 02:22 PM

Panther will run on my G4!<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 02:26 PM

From what i have heard you will get speed increases across the board, including old G3 imacs. <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 02:48 PM

Q 37. Smeagol. I'll have to find my decoder ring <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 02:49 PM

I still have to mail in my proof of purchase to get mine.... <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 03:39 PM

"decoder ring"? ohh, the precious!!! <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 03:40 PM

The only thing I saw at ThinkSecret was the article pointing to the eweek.com piece. Did you see something else about this? I gotta know ALL the rumors! <br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 05:34 PM

<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 06:39 PM

I almost posted this<br><br><br><br><br>But I decided not to<br><br><br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 06:46 PM

HA! HA! You two are funny! <br><br>When I first scrolled down and saw that giant picture of Gollum it scared the pants off me! <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 09:27 PM

What's all that have to do with the 970 and panther? <br><br>Nothing. Nice jab in there guys....(not)<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 09:33 PM

So suddenly we can't stray from the heading of a thread?? Anyway, the logic of the sequence is clearer than most of the tangents we indulge in the forums.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 09:45 PM

It wasn't just you..I guess I just didn't understand why one about macs has to stray so far. I can understand in the Lounge...anyway, nevermind...just ignore me...being anal today.<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 10:03 PM

Anal, or babe overload <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 10:04 PM

today was babe heaven! <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 10:24 PM

Pics coming, I hope <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/09/03 10:28 PM

took 360 pics today!<br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/10/03 07:23 AM

All of the same "coconuts" or multiples? <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/10/03 10:41 AM

A Fill in the Blank Quiz:<br><br>You put the _________ in the coconut, you _________ it all up.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/13/03 03:30 PM

There are now more rumors that 15.4" PowerBooks will be updated at WWDC.<br><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Digitimes reports that Compal Electronics will be producing the first 15.4" wide-screen notebooks from Apple Computer.<br><br>According to sources, Compal will start shipping 15.4-inch wide-screen PowerBooks for Apple in the second half of this year, with initial monthly shipments estimated at 30,000-40,000 units.<br><br> No details regarding the processor utilized are provided in this report. Rumors of 15" PowerBook updates have been filtering in since January... with more reports emerging recently. MacRumors' Buyersguide recommendation has been updated to reflect the expectations of imminent updates. A few reports have pointed in the same direction. Again, one site claims 970 PowerBooks in production at this time, but has had a poor reliability record and this should be taken with an appropriate amount of skepticism. <p><hr></blockquote><p>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/13/03 11:37 PM

Another hint at things to come....<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>In an unusual move, Apple will be transmitting the WWDC Keynote Address on June 23rd, 2003. The Keynote will be shown live at U.S. Apple Stores with theatres. There have also been reports that there is a special event in Berlin (invite-only) which is offering a live feed of the same.<br><br> While there has been no definitive word on a live-webcast this year, there are indications that it will be available as a stream after the fact at the very least. (Note: Last year's WWDC Keynote was not web-cast.) <br><br> Other hints of things to come, include plans for significant Apple Store floor-plan redesigns in the week after WWDC, suggesting new product releases. Meanwhile, MacWorld.co.uk quotes Apple's Casanova who promises that people expecting "good things" at WWDC "will not be disappointed".<br><br> The only product that is definitively known to be previewed at WWDC is Panther (Mac OS X 10.3). <p><hr></blockquote><p>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/14/03 12:07 AM

Yer killin' me Greenme, you know that don't you?! <br><br>

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/14/03 01:31 AM

I'm drooling already and it's still just rumors! <br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: snag

Re: Oh yeah, its heating up! - 06/16/03 02:31 PM

Now if they could just convince most programmers to code for SMP.<br><br>