"No Output Device Found" wtf?

Posted by: polymerase

"No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 01:15 PM

For the last week or so, MBA, OS 10.6.4 I have had no sound. Can't turn it on because there are no output devices listed in Sound. Searched the web and it happens to people. Command option PR reset pram supposed to do something. It does but only for a day, then the output device (my internal speakers) is gone again.

Anyone see this before? Starting to get annoying.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 01:38 PM

Did you install ANYTHING around the time it started.
It sounds like something happens on boot that causes it to go out.
An extension maybe?

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 01:42 PM

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12180224&#12180224

Oh.. and can some moderREBOOTator please move this to the proper forum.
Posted by: carp

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 02:04 PM

Interesting, I was having sound problems just yesterday but this is a 20 inch iMac.

Problem;
No sound at all, went on for 2 days. and got the same theres no output devices listed.

What I did;
1- Messed around (system preferences for sound)
2 - Rebooted

Got sound back
Next day lost sound again.

3 - Ran disc utility
4 - Ran / downloaded the latest system updates

Got sound back but lost all sound after a few hours.

5 - Unplugged the external speakers and plugged back in <-- working now, well so far.

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 02:09 PM

Thanks, misery loves company but I learn not much else.
Quote:

Oh.. and can some moderREBOOTator please move this to the proper forum.

You trying to start something?? ;-O

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Interesting, I was having sound problems just yesterday but this is a 20 inch iMac.

Problem;
No sound at all, went on for 2 days. and got the same theres no output devices listed.
... <-- working now, well so far.

I had mine back but gone again. Upong further searching two possibilities which I don't hold too much hope for.

1) A wee spritz of WD-40 in the headphone jack hole.

2) Trash Quicktime and reinstall.

I'm doing 2 since I cannot find any WD40. How the hell does that happen? I had maybe six cans of the stuff scattered through the house and shop. I'm about to panic with a hurricane approaching. At least I have plenty of duct tape and Bag Balm.

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 02:17 PM

And Dick Cheney was seen in a boat leaving the scene of the latest oil rig explosion. Hey who moved this out of the lounge?

More lounge material google "5 to 4 bottom of the fifth one out nobody on" and look for images.

I'll never hear one out or two out again without thinking ...

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 04:08 PM

This was buried in mac> notebooks? You moderators re so fscking funny but really need to get a life. The "no device found" problem has shown up on every Mac platform. The poor sod who has it on his tower now will never find out that there was great gnashing of tech down here in the purgatory.

My anger is pure sarcasm but I look up pointless in the dictionary and MacTech subdirectories was example two.MacTech Moderators was example one.

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/03/10 05:27 PM

WD40 in the headphone jack...ahhh.. that's not a bad idea.. in a way. I wouldn't use WD40 myself. Toothpick to start.
I remember reading about a problem with the jack. When the headphones are in the plug pushes a ring? in the hole that tells the system to output sound thru the jack as opposed to speakers. Once in a while, upon removal of the headphone plug, the ring would not disengage. Guys were reporting success with diddling around in there with a toothpick till it released. But that doesn't sound like your problem. Have you been using headphones lately?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: "No Output Device Found" wtf? - 09/04/10 01:57 AM

cry