Wireless USB adapter

Posted by: cope

Wireless USB adapter - 07/09/10 08:07 AM

Problem #1: wireless card connector in G4 iBook (10.3.9) destroyed by Pepsi Syndrome.

Solution?: Netgear WG111 (v.3) USB adapter

Problem #2: operator too unlearned in setting correct network preferences on iBook.

I did download the Mac driver from Netgear. When I open the Netgear WLAN client utility, it is nagging me to enable the WLAN card in the Network item of System Preferences. However, I do not see any such option.

I also called Netgear customer support. Their free tech support ends at "downloading Mac drivers". After that, it's a pay-for-support enterprise. Not acceptable.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

BLIND PIG FINDS ACORN!! - 07/09/10 08:22 AM

Well, there is something to be said for being doggedly bull-headed and unwilling to give up.

I have been fighting my problem all morning and, just after posting my request, I somehow managed to get the iBook online through the Netgear USB wireless adapter.

I don't know if it will work on any other networks yet, but at least it works here at home.

I apologize for wasting anybody's time.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: BLIND PIG FINDS ACORN!! - 07/09/10 08:23 AM

And, do you know how you did it or was it just effin magic? wink
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless USB adapter - 07/09/10 08:29 AM

Wireless USB adapters are a PIA in X. For the non-computer savvy they are a PIA on a daily basis. Connecting to another network is a PIA. The buggy software is a PIA.

Did I mention that they are a PIA?

Not bad for a teacher BTW. wink

Re: Wireless USB adapter - 07/09/10 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Not bad for a teacher BTW. wink

Thanks for the laugh grin
"Those who can do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach teach teachers. Those who can't teach teachers become administrators."

And, yes PIA is an apt expression in this case. I didn't get outside to mow and work in the garage until past noon (the death zone in terms of temperature around here).

Michael, from inside the Netgear WLAN client utility, there was an option for choosing a network and for some reason, it had chosen the neighbors wireless. Once I clicked to my Airport network, zip, boom, voila.