Ohh reboot… just how hard is it?

Posted by: zwei

Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/11/10 04:06 PM

My HD in my iMac seems really slow lately ...i'm wondering if it's getting ready to kick the bucket. Just how hard is it to install a HD into a white 24" C2D iMac?

If I do this I'm probably going to buy a smaller SSD to boot off of and put everything else on an external.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/11/10 05:27 PM

It rates up there with taking apart laptops.

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/11/10 06:31 PM

lol, I may just wait until it craps out and then take it into our local apple certified shop and have them put it in for me.

I'm having flashbacks of that old eMac I took apart and couldn't resuscitate. frown

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/11/10 07:47 PM

Here's a take apart for the 20 inch model, pretty much the same, you'll get the idea. It's doable but takes a long time and a lot of patience. The imac line after the original G5's have to be the most user unfriendly home computers ever made.

There is also a temperature sensor on the HD that needs to be put on the SSD if you go that route.

Slow disk access, copies etc are a pretty sure sign of a failing HD. Backup up often.

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/11/10 09:26 PM

Well, i'm not gonna do all that for sure. I'll wait until the HD fails and then just have them fix it. I'm backed up, so all is good.

All i've been using lately is my iPad anyway wink
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/12/10 09:54 AM

My brother replaced a HD in a silver iMac and said it wasn't that hard at all. So now I'm looking to get a 2TB drive and replace my HD.

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/12/10 10:36 AM

I haven't done one of those yet, but it looks easier than the white models, except for removing the glass, that seems like it might be a bit tricky.
Posted by: Trog

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/20/10 10:13 PM

I gotta say, based on that title, I was a little hesitant to open this thread. grin

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/21/10 05:21 AM

L M A O laugh

Re: Ohh reboot… just how hard is it? - 05/21/10 05:44 AM

Wow, I must be slipping, didn't catch that. laugh