Titanium Powerbook people unite!

Posted by: Anonymous

Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 03:10 PM

So, I'm curious to hear about people's experiences with the titanium PBs. I hear great and I hear misery. Expected, I suppose. But I have lots of questions before I buy ... for example ....<br><br>1. How do the harmon-kardon soundsticks sound with the pb?<br>2. Anyone have good or bad experiences buying at an online merchant? I think you can't beat the price and sales tax savings, but only if the product is as good as it sounds.<br>3. I just found out that you can transfer files between a PB and an iMac or other desktop Mac via firewire! Awesome. Anyone else know that or I am the last?<br><br>So, let's start replying here about anything and everything titanium. Let's make Stan proud and start racking up the posts!<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scottk on 05/19/01 06:15 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: StanFlack

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 03:20 PM

Who loves ya Baby! :-)<br><br>I did all this on a TiBook, so I welcome some discussion on the topic!<br><br>Stan<br><br>

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 03:24 PM

So then, Stan .. tell me and the rest of your captivated audience ... has your experience with the tibook been as good as you had hoped? Apparently if you did all this on it, the answer seems obvious, but it's worth digging deeper into.<br><br>Any troubles with ...<br><br>1. Non-ejecting CDs/DVDs?<br>2. Noisy hard drives?<br>3. Keys falling off?<br>4. tinny sound out of the right speaker?<br><br>These are just a few of the things I've read, and while I don't doubt they exist, I know that at least 99 percent of people are happy with their tibooks.<br><br>And, what do you think will happen in July/August? I've read a lot about revisions and preinstalled OSX. Thoughts?<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Stan's Photo! no waaaay - 05/19/01 03:28 PM

Yo Stan. Aren't we supposed to use our "own" photo and not some male move star hunk! Come on, that isn't you, is it????<br><br>Zippity Do Dah!

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 03:30 PM

I have had some problems with the CD/DVD not ejecting properly, but nothing too serious. The hard drive doesn't seem noisy to me at all, but I find the system will overheat after a few hours, so that is a bit of a pain in the behind.<br><br>No keys have fallen off, and I find the speakers extraordinarily good for their size.<br><br>Stan<br><br>

Re: Stan's Photo! no waaaay - 05/19/01 03:32 PM

Sorry if I upset your dinner darlin', but that is lil' ol' me! :-)<br><br>

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 03:32 PM

When you say overheat do you mean seriously as in a big problem or just as in it gets way too warm for your lap?<br><br>

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 03:51 PM

No, I mean it starts acting very funny. After I shut down for a few minutes it returns to normal. I have to get it checked, but I just haven't got the time at the moment! :-)<br><br>

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 04:24 PM

Hmmmm. Yeah. Sounds like something to get checked. Do you think Apple will release the revision sometime this summer as is rumored? What about the preinstallation of OSX? You think that's coming real soon, too?<br><br>

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 04:29 PM

I would suspect that Apple won't release a revision to the TiBook until January -- at the earliest. As for Mac OS X being preinstalled, that has been announced for the summer -- Macworld Expo in New York, I would think...<br><br>

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 05/19/01 05:26 PM

January. Wow. That's a long time.<br><br>But do you think that even without the revision that the quality of the tibook has improved since Day 1 or are these all the same and I have just as much chance of troubles as everyone else?<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Stan's Photo! no waaaay - 05/19/01 08:20 PM

well stranger Kate, we all have our own face smile <br>Stan is younger than I had thought but then I think everybody is my age or is it that I think I am the same age as them? um... off he goes to ponder that<br><br>strange? nope just weird

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 01/21/03 06:20 PM

I got one of the first ones off the line on Feb 22, 2001, the 500Hz model with 512 megs of RAM and an Airport card. I also bought Apple Care.<br><br>It's been a very good machine with only a few minor problems--some not even problems and only irritations:<br><br>It does get uncomfortably hot<br>The little gray rubber feet all fell out eventually<br>I wear a bracelet on my right wrist which eventually wore the finish off the edge of the plastic frame and some of the finish off of the titanium in that lower right corner<br>The discs sometimes get caught coming out of the slot.<br>The screen developed some light streaks coming down from the top center.<br><br>Other than that, I've had the machine on almost 24/7 these two-odd years and it's perfomed very well for me. I've also received numerous compliments on its looks.<br><br>If I wasn't firmly set on my next Mac being a tower if Apple comes out with a very compelling next offering, I'd like to get the new 17" Powerbook. I've really enjoyed the convenience and enablement of a portable. If I somehow had the money I'd get both, but if I can only get one, and if Apple somehow comes out with an outrageous G5 quad or something I'd have to go with it first before upgrading my TiPB.<br><br>Definitely get Apple Care on a portable. Mine slipped off my lap once and hit the floor not too hard. But soon afterwards it failed to boot up. I sent it in and they not only replaced the streaked LCD screen, they replaced the CD drive, the keyboard and the main logic board--all under Apple Care warrantee, in a three day turnaround, and it didn't cost me a cent.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 01/23/03 05:50 AM

I got mine on Sept. 10, 2001. I love it. I have had some problem with the video card but it was under warranty and replaced immediately. Other than that, mine gets warm, but not too hot. I have had problems with CD ejecting but it comes and goes. And they eject after a couple tries, none actually stuck. Never noticed a noisy hard drive although once in a while the fan kicks in. Not enough to be a problem. I have had a key pop up maybe twice but I just gently press it back into place. Speakers are not bad but externals work great.<br>It has virtually replaced my desktop and is used daily, on the weekends rarely turned off. I have no problems waking from sleep with the newer OS'. <br>Hey I missed the pic of Stan.<br><br>Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.<br>- Oscar Wilde
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 01/23/03 05:57 AM

Welcome to MacMinute Adobephile... good to see you over here. If you ever get tired of MacCentral, feel free to drop in on us!<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 01/23/03 07:03 AM

Thanks, Giz! So what are your opinions about the respective boards?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 01/23/03 08:11 AM

I love it here! Saying anything more than that would probably get me stoned over at MC, so I'll just leave it at that.<br><br><br>Visit Me At My .Mac Site

Re: Titanium Powerbook people unite! - 01/23/03 08:52 AM

Fair enough!<br><br>