LaCie CD Burner Trouble

Posted by: yoyo52

LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/18/03 09:31 PM

A friend of mine just bought a LaCie burner--don't know which model--and he's having a bad time getting it to do anything. He says that the drive shows up on the System Profiler, which says that it's fully supported. But then it fails to burn CDs every time. He says he's tried Toast, DiskUtility, and iTunes, with no success on any of them. I suggested that it might be the quality of the CDs he's using, which he admits are not the best in the world. Do you think that might be it? I've not heard of LaCies as being problem machines.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/18/03 10:02 PM

LaCie is well known for quality projects, so before he returns it, I highly suggest trying either Sony or Imation CD's at the properly rated speed to go with the burner.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/18/03 10:08 PM

Thanks, Giz. That's what I thought.<br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Trog

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/18/03 10:10 PM

Speed could definitely be it. I don't know why but mine will not burn at top speed anymore but it works perfectly fine at lower speeds. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix it either, it always fails close to the end of the session.<br><br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/18/03 10:25 PM

I have an older 8X8X24 external CDRW drive, and I always try to buy CD's rated at 1X-8X speed. Even when I get 8X-40X speed, I end up with coasters... The speed rating of the CD seems to be very important with CDRW's in general.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: greenme1

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/18/03 11:30 PM

Thanks Gizmo, i have the same model and was having problems with it. I was always using 8-20x media too. (mine was SCSI, not sure if yours was)<br><br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/19/03 10:56 AM

I had a SCSI and upgraded to a Firewire version some years later - but both had the same problem when using higher speed-rated CD's.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: gnfnr2k

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 04/25/03 02:18 PM

Does he exact the files or songs that he burning to the HD first?<br>If not that could be the problem.<br><br>
Posted by: Putita

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/28/06 05:58 PM

Hi... I think I have a good way to make it work... well at least to burn music CD's through ITunes... so, once your friend is ready to burn, he has to go to ITunes Preferences and select the Lacie Burner from the drop down list, which is found in the Advance file or whatever is called.... If you have any other question.. please feel free to ask...<br><br><br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 09:59 AM

Dude, do you realize that this thread is nearly 4 years old???<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.
Posted by: Pete

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 10:02 AM

Yikes - yoyo hasn't burned a CD in 4 years?!!<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 10:20 AM

He must be on dial-up with a 9kb modem. <br><br>
Posted by: Leslie

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 10:36 AM

That's funny!<br><br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 10:38 AM

Maybe, but it's gonna take him a while to get the joke. <br><br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 03:53 PM

Hey, I'm not drjohn! <br><br>____________________________________________________<br>Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,<br>But to be young was very heaven!
Posted by: Michael

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 04:35 PM

The internet is a series of tubes. And the tubes are full!<br><br>
Posted by: Leslie

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 05:09 PM

This is becoming my favourite thread.<br><br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 05:27 PM

Tooooooooooootally tuuuuuuuuuuuuubular, dewd. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 05:45 PM

So what's your favourite colour, too?<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/29/06 06:47 PM

......<br><br>In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams<br>

Re: LaCie CD Burner Trouble - 12/30/06 07:39 AM

You sure about that? Better check the name tag in your BVDs. <br><br>