Mac Pro Line ?

Posted by: DLC

Mac Pro Line ? - 02/06/10 04:06 PM

So anyone know or hear when Apple is due to upgrade the Pro desktop line ??

is it in this decade ? laugh
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/06/10 04:07 PM

Rumors are that they are waiting for Intel's 6 core processors.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/06/10 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Rumors are that they are waiting for Intel's 6 core processors.

Due in March right ?

Well I can't decide to get another single CPU Pro (6 core) or a 27" iMac.

Sure wish they'd hurry wink
Posted by: carp

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/06/10 06:12 PM

I would wait to see if Apple figured out the iMac HD burn out , I had two already .

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/06/10 06:15 PM

Actually, the 27" iMacs are having display problems.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/06/10 06:26 PM

I must have missed those reports ?

Sadly there was a time where Apple would really put those machines through a testing program . I guess it takes way to long for this fast paced society today .

Before was the ;

Blast heat furnace test , the ice cold freezer test , the kick off the desk test and the psycho hammer test . Now if it turns on , its okay to ship laugh
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/10/10 07:27 AM

From MacRumors Buyer's Guide:

Product Mac Pro
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release March 03, 2009
Days Since Update 344 (Avg = 236)

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/10/10 07:28 AM

No HD burn out in mine and I have had it a year now.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/10/10 09:54 AM

Yeah saw that a few days ago, but they've been "past due" for months (like >100 days) ! shocked

Thanks for the reminder, John.
Posted by: Clark

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/13/10 05:26 AM

Most guesses are for March, probably late March.
The new name of the Gulftown processor is Core i7-980X.

(control-click to make larger)

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/14/10 05:27 AM

The Gulftown processor's launch date is March 16th, so....

(control-click to make larger)

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/14/10 06:29 PM

Thanks Clark... looks awesome !! shocked

wow 6 cores !! 12 threads !! WOW !!

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/14/10 07:35 PM

You should be able to get some work done with that, I'd hope. laugh

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 02/15/10 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark
You should be able to get some work done with that, I'd hope. laugh

No, not really . . . but I can play Solitaire 100X faster !! laugh

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/09/10 06:34 PM

Geez...OK the iPad is announced...

can we upgrade the frickin' MacPros now ??

WTF are they waiting for ??

eek

laugh

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/09/10 08:03 PM

Patience, David.
The Intel processors won't be released until March 16th.
I just hope that the new Mac Pro line will be released on or near the 16th also.

The thing that drives me nuts is there are very few applications that make use of all the cores of the Mac Pro.
Very few applications make use of Snow Leopard's 64-bit capabilities.
I don't know of any applications that make use of Snow Leopard's OpenCL technology.
Okay, okay, patience, Clark.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 01:00 PM

Ok, Ok.... (panting)

I'll try to be more patient. wink

well my thing with the cores and software is, yeah not a lot uses them now, but when I buy a new Mac, I buy for 7-8 years... so what will OS X (or OS XII) be like in 2018 and how much software can use multi-cores and multi-threads then ? grin

I'm sporting a 2003 G5 dual core now... still pretty snappy but I can see with some apps- it's slowing down. I want to retire this one at home and move it to my office at CDC** (where I have a 2001 G4 that still faster than my HP there).

**Oh that damm HP they gave me at CDC is like molasses at 4˚C - primarily to all the security schitt on it. But it is a snail... sap rises faster than that dang thing !! laugh
I did a mail search today and literally walked away for 10 min...

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 02:49 PM

I'm hoping that many applications will make use of OpenCL and 64-bit technology in 4 to 5 years.
Actually I am lying, I am hoping it is sooner than that.

IMHO, Apple is pretty good at making computers obsolete in just a few years.

For example, the first Mac Pro came out in August 2006.
It is a 32-bit computer. So it can't even take advantage of 64-bit Snow Leopard or of 64-bit applications.
Many of the new video cards have 64-bit efi rom. The newest cards won't work in the 2006 Mac Pro.

The good news is the 2010 Mac Pro has 64-bit technology and should last for a long, long time.

Many people that I talk to are very enthusiastic about the 2010 Mac Pro.
The one thing they are worried about is the price.

The one thing I'd do with a new Mac Pro is buy plenty of memory from a third party ventor like OWC.
The main advantage of 64-bit applications is they are able to use more memory.
32-bit applications can only address 4GB of memory at a time.
A 64-bit applications can address more memory than what you can put into your computer.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 03:35 PM

I guess it has been a year since the last upgrade.

In regards to 64 bit and OpenCL, do you feel that the speed jumps of the chips are really minimal as compared to what the proper written application can do?
The good news is the 2010 Mac Pro has 64-bit technology and should last for a long, long time.
It's about time. Probably need a new video card someday for the gotta' have the fastest type, you know the ones. wink But for once Apple has made the hardware ahead of the software.

That's some good info, thx.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 03:37 PM

What? No floppy drive? laugh

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 04:00 PM

A floppy would be so slow the computer would lose interest. grin

I still have a couple of USB floppy and Zip drives laying around. Every once in a while someone needs data from old media.

Mac Pro Line ? NEWS !! - 03/10/10 04:17 PM

MacPro coming Tuesday March 16th?

Wow that'd be nice !! grin

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 04:43 PM

"In regards to 64 bit and OpenCL, do you feel that the speed jumps of the chips are really minimal as compared to what the proper written application can do?"

Chip makers don't increase clock speed too much any longer as a way to get the best performance out of the processors. They are putting more and more cores into their processors instead.
But you know that.

I am not sure what performance technology will add the biggest performance boost for applications; 64-bit, OpenCL, or Grand Central Dispatch.
With 64-bit technology, applications can address more memory.
With OpenCL, applications can tap into the very vast power of the gpu processor.
With Grand Central Dispatch, applications can make better use of the multi-core processors.
Can you picture the power of an application that uses all three technologies?!

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/10/10 07:02 PM

Quote:
Can you picture the power of an application that uses all three technologies?!

No but I know one that doesn't use any !!

Windows !! laugh

(actually there is a 64 bit version, it's called BSOD express ) wink

Re: Mac Pro Line ? NEWS !! - 03/15/10 02:09 PM

I hope tomorrow is THE DAY.
Have you decided what processors and video card you want yet?
I know, kinda hard when you don't know what is available.

I may be wrong but I thing there is only one Intel Core i7 processor coming out tomorrow. It has 6 cores.
If so, then one Mac Pro will have one 6 core processor and another Mac Pro will have two 6 core processors.
I don't know how they will come up with a third Mac Pro.

Will you go with the standard video card or the BTO high-end video card?
If you have more money than god, you'll go with the workstation video card.
And take a chance, let me know where you live.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? NEWS !! - 03/15/10 07:03 PM

Depends upon the specs of the cards available and the price differential.

I'd like to get something <$2500, but even if that's possible tomorrow I may wait until June and the Back to School summer sale. I just want to have my options laid out to analyze.

I may also want to buy another One to One session, I have several projects that I could accelerate with Professional guidance and input.

Hope you're right Clark !! wink

Re: Mac Pro Line ? NEWS !! - 03/16/10 08:56 AM

I saw where someone posted on another forum that they doubt Apple will take down the site during this iPad pre-order time.

So far nothing is showing up at Apple.com

Re: Mac Pro Line ? NEWS !! - 03/16/10 11:36 AM

"I saw where someone posted on another forum that they doubt Apple will take down the site during this iPad pre-order time."

Yep, all kinds of rumors like that.
Same web site has people guessing that April 4th will be the new Mac Pro launch date because Apple will concentrate on iPad's pre-orders and the April 3rd iPad launch date.

My opinion for what it is worth (which is nothing)...
Everything is just rumor and conversation. Apple isn't going to let iPad get in the way of a Mac Pro launch.
The iPad is more important right now but that doesn't mean Apple can't quietly announce the new Mac Pro.
Apple doesn't use much fanfare for announcing new iMacs and Mac Pros anyway.
I think that is why Apple bailed out of MacWorld San Fran.
Apple doesn't want to announce new products on someone else's terms.*
The good news is all of the Mac Pro components should be in place and the Mac Pro should come out any day now.
No value in trying to guess when.

* But at the same time it still angers me that Apple pulled out of MacWorld Boston and MacWorld San Fran.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/16/10 03:27 PM

Chip makers don't increase clock speed too much any longer as a way to get the best performance out of the processors. They are putting more and more cores into their processors instead.
But you know that.

Yes, but the Core iX series is generally faster than the Core 2 or Core Quad on a clock per clock basis too. The i3's are generally faster than the popular wolfdales were and cheaper to boot. The quad i5 is faster than my Q9450 at stock speed (which is why it's not stock wink )

The new 6 core is going to be a waste of money for most people though.

What pisses me off though is the nomenclature. You have i5 and i7 chips that use the 1156 sockets, and that use the 1366 sockets. I think it should be one or the other, i.e the i5's use the 1156 package and the i7's use the 1366.

Also, the Mac Pros you mentioned were 32 bit because of the OS. The Woodcrests fully support x86-64.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 03/16/10 03:45 PM

Quote:
The new 6 core is going to be a waste of money for most people though.

That's definitely true in most cases... It's mainly for professional use. Many ordinary programs can't use the multi-core and multi -threading and 64 bit that much, if at all. But many professional programs for like video, music mixing, etc can.

However that said, my main reason for even considering one is the ability to expand RAM, internal HDS, and swap out video cards to my liking... the 6 core and CPU speed is just icing on the cake, . . . IF it's not outrageously priced. grin

IF it is, I can live with a quad core 27" iMac. wink

UPDATE - Mac Pro Line ? - 03/19/10 10:10 AM

Looks like something is coming soon.

New MacPros and 27" Display !!

they're likely going with the Xeon 5600 Gulftown chip and not the new Core i7-980X chips as speculated because the latter supports only 1 CPU per motherboard.. the 5600 you can throw 2 on as the MacPro is currently configured. Still they'll be 6 and 12 (dodecyl)core Pros = 12 and 24 threads.

One article speculated a delivary time of early June... I shure hope it's before then ! cry
A little More info...

Re: UPDATE - Mac Pro Line ? - 03/19/10 09:41 PM

Cool just wish them apps would catch up

June? - 05/06/10 12:48 PM

From MacRumors:

"Hardmac reports that Intel has yet to begin shipping significant quantities of its six-core Xeon processors that many expect to appear in a refreshed Mac Pro. According to the report, distributors will have to wait until "the end of the second quarter" to receive mass quantities of the chips.

Intel informed its distribution networks that the 6 core Xeon will only be available in limited quantity until at the end of the second quarter.
A report from mid-March indicated that a Mac Pro refresh was due "by June", and it is unknown whether there has been any change to this timeline with Intel still not producing mass quantities of the necessary processors. Given the company's history of being first in line for chips used in its Mac Pro machines, it has been suggested that Apple could receive priority access to new processors.

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) has been scheduled for early June, and while the conference seems to be carrying a heavy iPhone OS focus this year, it does represent a reasonable opportunity for Apple to introduce revised pro-level machines like the Mac Pro. An introduction would not, however, necessarily mean immediate availability, as chip supply constraints could cause Apple to delay shipments by several weeks as it gathers sufficient quantities of the Xeon processors."

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 06/25/10 05:42 AM

Are you hanging in there, David?

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 06/26/10 02:05 PM

Yep, but it sure is quiet on this matter !

nothing about MacPro,

nothing about iMac,
frown

maybe by end of summer ?? whistle

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/17/10 06:48 PM

End of summer before BTS sale ends which is Sept 7th - with 6 core processors, USB 3.0 and Firewire 1600 or 3200 !! USB 3.0 = 10 X speed USB 2.
-iMacs come out 2-3 weeks after the new MacPros -

That's the RUMOR !!

We'll see ! I sure as HLL hope so !!! eek

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/17/10 09:11 PM

I saw it but it's just a rumor, nothing more, nothing less.
I could have done that well.

The rumor going around now is the next Mac Pro will have Sandy Bridge processors.
If so, that's bad news!
The Sandy Bridge processors that will be launched this year are for consumer computers; i.e., iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro etc.
It is very unlikely the Sandy Bridge server chips (Mac Pro) will be out this year.

If Apple decides to go with Westmere, then September is a possibility.
But if they are going with Westmere, why aren't they out by now?

I am going to start my own rumor. I am going to say that I got an email from Steve Jobs and it says, "The 2009 will be the last Mac Pro made but not to worry because we will have a very souped-up iPad for all you Mac Pro users."

I think I am more annoyed about this than you are.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 04:46 AM

What type of processors are you talking about? The mac pro just came out with the i5 and i 7 processors about 2 months ago. I hope they do not scrap these processors because people spent their hard earned money to buy these laptops. We are not all billionaires like Jobs that we can buy something right away as soon as it comes out. When you make a good product you stick with it quite a while.Newer doesn't only mean better always. J
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 05:14 AM

??

When Apple, or any computer company, launches a new version of their computer, invariably it always has a newer, or at least faster, chip in it.
Why would that mean you would have to buy another computer? It's not like switching from Motorola chips to Intel.
It's still Intel.
Sandy Bridge is the newer, smaller architecture....32 nm process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 05:20 AM

They came out two months ago and will be changed likely in September. If you are getting buyer's remorse on that schedule I suggest buying a Fisher Price, "The Farmer Says" See 'n Say. The current update will hold for several years I hear.

A new computer is out of date the moment the cellophane is cut.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 05:29 AM

This thread is about the Mac Pro, NOT the MacBook Pro. The Mac Pro is a desktop machine, that's why we are in the Desktop section. See? I even outlined it in red for you:

Click for full size

And in case you still were confused as to what the Mac Pro is:

And, it hasn't been updated since March 2009:

Click for full size
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 08:00 AM

Within 6 months of my buying my G5, Apple dropped Motorola and went to Intel chips. Now, about 5 years later, I'm still using the G5, with absolutely no complaints at all (other than the absence of an OS upgrade path, but that's not really so big a deal since what's running on the G5 is plenty good enough). Like others have said--as soon as you pay for a computer, it's out of date. In my case, maybe, more so than in other cases. But so what?
Posted by: trey

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 08:13 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, Yoyo. G5's still kicking.

I'm just hoping that after I buy my next computer, all computer companies stop upgrading their stuff. You know, so my machine will be cool forever!

wink

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 08:29 AM

OMG!
It depends upon what you are doing with it.
If you are trying to do HD editing with FCP, you may have problems.
If you are into games (which I am sure you are not), the G5 won't run the latest and greatest.
Snow Leopard won't run on a G5. You are missing out on updates and software advancements.
Forgive me for what I am about to say, but you can run Windoze on the new machines.
Your start-up time and the time it takes for applications to open-up will be a lot slower.
I assume you've gone beyond dial-up, haven't you?

For most applications, I am sure your G5 does work just fine.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 08:42 AM

But that's all relative, eh?

When the G5 came out, it was the fastest mac out there and people were happy with the speed. Sure, it isn't as fast as the newest mac pro, but it's still fast enough.

As for Snow Leopard and missing out, he even said that what's running on the G5 is good enough for him.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 08:45 AM

The powermac G5 was the last of the big desktops for me. In fact, I would change this iMac out for a new mac mini if I could.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 08:49 AM

I suppse the main difference is most people have lives. I do not, I live for my computer.
I am not joking.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 09:05 AM

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't turn down a new Mac Pro, but I have come to the realization that I don't need all that horsepower.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 09:06 AM

I watch movies, but don't make 'em. So much for FCP. And sure, I can't upgrade the OS to 10.6--but that's ok with me. The computer is about 5 years old and it still runs beautifully for what I use it. I've shifted out the original HD and installed a second one for backup, upgraded the RAM as much as possible, installed enough cards so that I don't have external hubs of any sort. I'm a happy camper smile

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 03:48 PM

My only hitch John, and others, is there are several programs I want to use or upgrade to. Camtasia is one.
ONLY available for Intel Macs. eek

I love my G5 too... it's not going to the dump... taking it to work to replace a 9-10 yr old G4 !!

blush

Ok it is kinda going to the "dump" grin HA !

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 05:59 PM

Then obviously you have a legimate reason to want to upgrade. And seriously, if you want to upgrade, who are we to say that you shouldn't?

Well, the only way I would ever get in your way is if you were wanting to switch to a PC. Then...watch out buddy...I know where you live! laugh

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 09:32 PM

"the only way I would ever get in your way is if you were wanting to switch to a PC"

It has been over 500 days since Apple launched the 2009 Mac Pro.
There are a lot of people like David who are waiting patiently for the new Mac Pro.
But there are also some very angry people who can't wait any longer and may switch over to Dell workstation computers.

I don't understand why the Dell workstation computers are using Westmere cpus but Apple can't bring out a new Mac Pro.
I swear Apple cares more about their gadgets than they do their computers.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/18/10 10:43 PM

Yes it certainly seems that way Clark, the pro towers are always on a slow upgrade track.

I think that possible Apple feels that the vast majority of pros are corporate use in nature and they too are slow in upgrading. I mean big business upgrades like once every few or more years. I had the same Dell laptop for 5 years for example

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 08:43 AM

And it's not all Apple's fault. Intel is not getting out the Westmere workstation cpus.
We're back in the days of Motorola and IBM.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 09:04 AM

I spend hours each day trying to figure out when the next Mac Pro will come out and what it will feature.
And I still have no clue!

The problem is Intel is just not bringing out the Westmere workstation processors.
There is only one Westmere processor that will work in a Mac Pro.
It is a 6-core W3680 3.33GHz processor.
The W3680 is very expensive.
It would be good for the high-end Mac Pro but not too many people are going to want to spend that kind of money.
Rumor has it that Intel may be bringing out two lower priced quad-core Westmere processors.
Rumor also has it that they may be called W3620 and W3640 processors.
It is such a ghost rumor that if you Google Intel W3620 and W3640, you won't even find them.

I was hoping Apple would bring out a W3680 Mac Pro and wait for Sandy Bridge.
Problem with that is Sandy Bridge won't be out until 2011; therefore, there would be no lower priced Mac Pros available until then.
Unless Intel brings out some lower priced Westmere processors, we're dead until next year.

Talking out loud: I can see the next Mac Pro having USB 3.0 but I can't picture it having FW1600. I love FW but except for external hard drives, who is using FW800?

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 11:43 AM

Video guys.

Red: FireWire 800/400, USB-2 and e-SATA interfaces

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 12:18 PM

If you are going to joke, you've got to use one of dem smiley faces.
I mean who can afford one of those cameras?
If I could afford any camera, it would be a Leica M9 digital camera.

P.S. Next year "Lightpeak" will rule.

P.S.S. What was that running joke that SteveG had about emoticons?

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 12:21 PM

The same people that can afford the high end mac pros. Red cameras are actually cheaper than the other HD ones

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 12:35 PM

When are you going to get one?

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 02:01 PM

Never, the same as when I'll get a Mac Pro.

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/19/10 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Well, the only way I would ever get in your way is if you were wanting to switch to a PC. Then...watch out buddy...I know where you live! laugh

Yeah - you don't have to remind me ! eek

Well I will probably NOT get a Pro- more beef than I'd ever need, but 2-3 weeks later the new iMacs come out... that's what I'm really waiting for -

BUT I'd love to price - feature compare the 2.

If I do decide to go with a Pro, you may need to buy the next round of beer when you're in town - I'll be DEAD broke !

no money, and my wife would Kill me !!!

laugh
(she knows where I live too !)

Re: Mac Pro Line ? New News !! - 07/20/10 04:56 AM

Thanks for the information John like I told you I am a newbee to Mac.

iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/23/10 03:26 PM

New iMacs coming soon ??

shortages of iMacs occurring ,

resellers advised to pare down their inventories... grin

OH BABY !!! hope it's true

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/23/10 04:39 PM

Yep, and it looks like I may have a chance at a new Mac Pro pretty soon too.

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/24/10 04:43 AM

Hope you get your wish soon. Did any body ever tell you that you resemble the character Frank House in the doctor series. J

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/24/10 05:03 AM

"Did any body ever tell you that you resemble the character Frank House in the doctor series?"

No, nobody ever has. I'll have to look into it.

By the way, his name is Gregory. I have to correct you because he is my hero.

New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/24/10 06:30 PM

HERE YA GO Clark !!

more news!! grin

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/24/10 07:12 PM

Nice! And all signs point to a MacBook Air update coming along with that MacPro. The would be sweet.

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 06:05 AM

He is a good actor but he hardly acts in movies I see. what is his real name?

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 06:13 AM

Hugh Laurie. The best Bertie Wooster ever.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 02:59 PM

Hmmm. a refresh is due,,, but I am wondering if the form factor will change??

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 04:50 PM

Thank you.
This is getting interesting.
Is Apple getting some Westmere server chips that no one knows about?

Sandy Bridge for iMacs is coming out at the end of the year.
Is Apple going to bring out a new iMac now and another new iMac at the end of the year?

Rumor has it and I'll bet it's true that Apple pushed Intel to develope Light Peak.
Light Peak will be much faster than USB 3.0. Light Peak may be the downfall of USB 3.0.
But Light Peak won't be out until next year.
I can't picture Apple having USB 3.0 in their next computers.
Maybe the only way to get USB 3.0 in a Mac Pro is with a third party PCI express card.
As a matter of fact, Intel motherboards don't even support US 3.0.

My main question is yes, Apple may bring out new iMacs and Mac Pros but will they really be a substantial update?

We'll see what Apple offers.

p.s. I am really slipping. I thought I had replied to your post yesterday.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 05:27 PM

My main question is yes, Apple may bring out new iMacs and Mac Pros but will they really be a substantial update?
Other than 68040 to PPC, G4 to G5 case, then PPC to Intel, what other substantial updates have there ever been in the last 10+ years, except the cheese grater case, which isn't performance.

USB 3? I'd be surprised.

I personally love what the tower case design has evolved into. It is all so neat and clean and accessible.

The AIO's are still a nightmare.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 05:40 PM

Time to change the cheese grater look

Maybe something like this

laugh laugh

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 06:08 PM

What I would love for them to do: open up the ceiling. I think with the architecture now they can do it. If I need to buy a 32 or 64 core box they should cut the motherboard to fit. Biotechnology is getting a boost with new sequencing engines. The things that make the data. One store bought machine can make more data in 5 days than is in the entire NIH database. So computationally we need a bigger boat. A much bigger boat and much faster.

Through the 80s 90s and oughts the hard drive, the memory, and the CPU kept up. Right now the CPU is not cutting it. So do I go buy a 250K turnkey system to do the job? No way. No granting agency for academia funds stuff like that.

So an Apple with more 32 cores, 96 GB of memory for $17,000 would fit the bill. I'm buying Dells right now to do this and it depresses me.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/25/10 09:52 PM

I hear you, Paul, but how can Dell do it?
I am guessing that you have to stack up 8 Dell Precision R5400 Rack Workstation computers?

Can't you link Mac Pros together to make a 32-core supercomputer similar to what Virginia Tech did with their 324 8-core Mac Pros?
It would only take 4 Mac Pros. But I know I am missing something.
I am going to guess that the cost of the Mac Pros makes it prohibitive.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/26/10 03:38 AM

It's terrible but I don't know what I bought. I just know it has a pant load of processors and it cost me 17K. I had so little interest since it was a Dell I didn't walk downstairs to the rack room to take a look. Pretty sure it was a single box. At least it was one line item on a PO. I'll look it up.

From a Mac it is just a large depository with a terminal window to fire scripts up that slice and dice, filter, align, and sort. They are sort of like spreadsheets with 40 million lines and only two columns. Hard to open. I think we are assigning two processors per file so we can do 10-15 files at a time. It still takes a few hours, sometimes 21 hours to digest each. It would suck big time to have to do them one at a time.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/26/10 07:34 AM

If the next MacPros are 6 and 12 core machines as rumored - Poly could get 36 cores with only 3 MacPros !!

Course they may cost $17K or more total !

But hey - they'd be MACs !!

New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/26/10 02:09 PM

So says this source??

Update: Daring Fireball's John Gruber hints that Apple will announce the upgrades tomorrow, alongside a 27-inch 16:9 widescreen Cinema Display.

I think if they want to hit the Back to School Sales they better hit the street soon !!
Students are very impulsive and impatient these days ! mad
Unlike the rest of us Mac users ! whistle
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/26/10 03:53 PM

Got my fingers crossed for you David!
smile

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/26/10 05:23 PM

Thanks, appreciate that. grin

how's things out there in CA ??

Arnold is talking real tough.

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/26/10 06:00 PM

And Xgrid won't do the job??

Re: New Macs ? More New Rumblings !! - 07/26/10 07:10 PM

X-Grid needs an app that is stable, that isn't entirely thrown out every few weeks because a new way to do it is developed. By the time our stuff is that stable we will be using Amazon Cloud computing to do everything.

Actually, some of it is done in Cloud but may have to wait until our dissection of the data is stable.

X-Grid is more static than Cloud and when you want to step up in CPUs why limit to some small pile in your building? It won't cut it.

But in the meantime both don't cut it and a Dell box can do it by just getting more of them.

But a Cloud is in my future. ( I chaired a session in California early this year and a question from the audience to my panel, What is the future of Cloud computing for whole genome sequencing.? She answered, "Overcast with chance of clearing.".)

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/26/10 07:12 PM

Quote:
how's things out there in CA ??

Everything you've heard is true. wink
I'm to the point I wish they would split the state in two.
Northern CA is nothing like Southern CA, yet the prices stay the same.
I'm amazed "normal" people can afford to live here.
(But that's another topic) crazy

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/27/10 05:00 AM

Truthfully I never heard of this actor. Sorry.Getting back to another topic when do you think the new imacs will be introduced?

Re: iMacs ? New Rumblings !! - 07/27/10 08:49 AM

ABout a couple of hours ago. smile

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 09:25 AM

What do you think?

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 10:16 AM

What do you think?

Meh.. if I was DLC.. I'd wait till the next version.

Muuuahahahahah////lololol

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 10:22 AM

Cruel, but I like it. wink

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 10:44 AM

Well #1- I can't afford the new MacPro- starting at $2499 ! cry

well I could afford the computer, but the divorce costs would bust my chops !! laugh
Therefore I have to look at iMac.... it's OK... no problem.

There are some very nice improvements... better graphics (1GB video RAM), better monitor (2560 X 1440), 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HD. The cost hasn't gone up much, if any. The touch pad is really cool but costs $69...

I totaled up my dream machine (w i7 CPU) and it looks like it'll run $2200 with tax and after rebates and iPod sale, but also includes 1 yr extension of Mobile Me, One to One, and the $29 charger for all the batteries- (6 batteries included). It's a Bundle !

My son isn't going to college this fall (waiting for transfer) so I may use some of that $ for this...

IF I jump I would be going from a dual 2.0 GHz G5 PPC to a quad core 2.8 GHz Intel i7 with a huge monitor ... I am very excited... grin

now let me tell you how I really feel !

WOWIE YEE HAA, YEE HAA! blush

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 11:18 AM

"There are some very nice improvements... better graphics (1GB video RAM), better monitor (2560 X 1440), 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HD. The cost hasn't gone up much, if any."

That sums it nicely!

"WOWIE YEE HAA, YEE HAA!"

Yes!

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 01:32 PM

Didn't you teach at some point, David? If you still are, or are going to, use the educational discount!!

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/27/10 01:58 PM

I still do at GPC... (Georgia Perimeter College)

and "you betcha !!"

it's $100 off the list of the quad i5 iMac. .

thanks for asking grin

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 05:23 AM

Do you really think the SF Bay Area is normal? walk around and see for yourself.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 08:59 AM

Bay Area is hypernormal. It's what will become "normal" in about a decade, by which time the Bay Area will have moved on to another hypernormality.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 09:03 AM

I was trying to think of a way to reply to that and "hypernormal" fits the bill. I would love California if only the rest of the state was like the Bay area. The rest of the world? I wish it only took ten years for the rest of us to catch up.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 09:22 AM

I think of the Mass Bay Area like a kind of Bay Area with a bow tie instead of a g-string. And that reminds me of the first Andy Warhol movie I saw . . . but that's a different story.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
a bow tie instead of a g-string

Excuse me?
I happen to wear a bow tie AND a g-string (but only for special occasions). grin

I love it here. I've lived in Marin County and surrounding area's all my life. I don't think I could live anywhere without an ocean in my backyard.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 11:23 AM

Marin Co is beautiful... Tiburon is fantastic. you have the Bay and all the beautiful sailboats, the wine country nearby, the ocean seashores, the views of the city, the wine country nearby, beautiful Muir Woods, Golden Gate Bridge, Treasure Island, the wine country nearby ... grin

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/28/10 12:20 PM

All of the above.
There's a reason we pay so much to live here.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/29/10 04:31 AM

The one great thing you have is the radio host Michael Savage.

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/29/10 08:19 AM

You left out a word, "Great Douchebag Michael Savage".

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/29/10 02:15 PM

Jerry and Poly !!

yeah, but you have wine country nearby !! wink

screw Savage
grin

Re: New Macs Tuesday- tomorrow? - 07/29/10 03:49 PM

Look at the bright side...you can always import the wine and you don't have Savage in your state.
So fsck Savage!

Re: Mac Pro Line ? - 07/29/10 07:53 PM

Since Apple has introduced the new Mac Pro and iMacs, it's time to close this thread. A new one can be started, but let's leave out the politics.