Time to get my firewire port fixed

Posted by: John Rougeux

Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 05:31 AM

Tested my CF card reader on my other iMac and it pops up on the desktop just fine. On mine, it takes numerous attempts at plugging/unplugging hoping it'll power up and show on the desktop.

Close call...warranty runs out next month!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:00 AM

Have you tried zapping the PRAM? It has been known to fix bad FW ports. Unplugging the machine overnight has also.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:10 AM

Nope, haven't done either.

Zapping PRAM is when you restart and hold down the...P&R keys?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:20 AM

Command-Option-P-R.

Do the ports show up in system profiler?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:22 AM

I found out how to do it (Cmd, Option, P & R) and it popped up on the desktop. But when I ejected the card and reinserted it...nope, not there.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:25 AM

I wonder if you boot off of the system install DVD if it will show up, so you can see if it's software related. You can probably use Disk Utility on the installer disc to unmount it, then pull it out and reinsert it and see if it shows up in DU again.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:55 AM

It showed in DU, but when I ejected it, and reinserted it, it wouldn't show up.

On the reader, there is a little blue light that lights up when it's connecting, but it won't do anything now.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 06:57 AM

Now going to try the Apple Hardware test CD

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 08:20 AM

Apple Hardware Test showed everything alright.

But a restart and the CF card didn't mount

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
It showed in DU, but when I ejected it, and reinserted it, it wouldn't show up.
That was when booted from the install DVD?

Do you have any other firewire devices to try on the same bus?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 10:51 AM

Yes, when it was booted off of the install DVD.

I have an external firewire HD. But it's powered so it shows up all the time. The CF card isn't powered, so I bet that's it.

The HD connected shows up as this in the System Profiler:
Unknown Device:

GUID: 0x0
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Unknown

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 11:22 AM

Can you daisy chain the reader off of the external?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 11:34 AM

Are they both iMacs? What kinds, I forget.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 02:02 PM

Yes, I am now daisy-chaining it off the external HD right now. And no, it doesn't appear back on the desktop if I eject and re-insert the card.

Yes, I have 2 iMacs. the 17" lampshade G4 iMac and the 24" 2.8ghz iMac that is almost a year old.
Posted by: carp

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 02:08 PM

Hummm that is interesting

So maybe it is not a port thing after all since the external HD shows the same . Maybe it is a problem with the card reader itself ? and that it works on the other Mac might be just a fluke

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 02:14 PM

It works on all the iMacs at the local community college (I know, I tried) and on my other one, but it doesn't work on this one. I don't think it's a fluke.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 03:15 PM

Here's my advice. Don't fix it. You have a legitimate reason to take it in before your warranty expires and they will likely look it over really well and maybe find other things that need fixing.
I'm sure this won't happen... but I took mine in with about 2 months left and got a brand new Mac Pro. Still not entirely sure why....

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 04:46 PM

Wow...you think they'll give me a brand new Mac Pro?? laugh heh

Yeah, I have an appointment Friday morning. I might change it if I can finish editing these pics.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 04:58 PM

Don't laugh.. I went in to see about getting my mic port fixed. No matter what headset i tried i couldn't get it to work. In addition, the optical port was glowing red.

Well... they found something else wrong and replaced it.
I got the new one and the optical port was glowing red still. Supposed to do that! I thought it was red only when active.

Last night I found out why the mic won't work. Turns out it is a line level in port and not your typical mic port.
See here...

Long story short.. none of the things I thought were broken were broken at all.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 05:31 PM

I'm laughing because I want them to give me a Mac Pro for my iMac. wink

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/12/09 07:55 PM

I'd definitely get a case going before the warranty expires. Since it does it off of the system DVD it's hardware related. The hardware test disc probably won't say anything since it is working but you never know. Are any of the machines at the college like your new iMac?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 05:49 AM

Yeah, they have 20" models like mine and older white ones

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 08:21 AM

Yep, I'd say case closed then. Take it in.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 08:42 AM

I have an appointment today at 130pm. smile

Should I box it up or just take the iMac in? I haven't ever used the Genius Bar myself.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 09:39 AM

If you have the box it came in it's easier for you to carry, but you're a big strappin' guy so whatever you want. grin

Probably don't need the keyboard and mouse either but I'd say bring 'em.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 10:57 AM

Nope, didn't need a thing. They agreed, it is the FireWire port. Ordering new board

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 11:07 AM

cool

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 11:38 AM

Cool nice happy ending , is this a pick up same day ?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 12:42 PM

No, they don't have the board in stock, had to order it. Should be fixed Wednesday or Thursday.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/13/09 08:53 PM

Bummer

I always have a problem with that - I say call me when you get the part in and then I'll drop it off but Nooooooo they want you to wait 3 to 5 days without a computer . Pisses me off

I do understand they want to check it out to make sure that something else is not the problem - but gheess , known reoccurring problems the parts should be in stock at all times .

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 07:58 AM

mad Called this morning to check on the status. The part is in, but the tech has been sick. They say it may take at least 2 more days. At least...not by Saturday, but at least by Saturday.

I told them that I could have shipped it to Apple and had it fixed and returned to me by now!

So I asked to speak to the person who said that it would take at least 2 days...put me on hold forever, then apparently while I'm typing this, it disconnected or put me on hold... WTF. Is this Dell Store I'm calling?? mad

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 08:00 AM

I agree. I told them that I should have taken my iMac home and had them call me when the part was in.

Had I done that, then I would have been put on the bottom of the list.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 08:04 AM

They bumped me up the list..not to the top mind you, but up the list. She's "hoping" that he can fix it today, but will not make any promises.

It's amazing how before this store opened, I shipped a laptop (free) to Apple's repair depot in Texas and got it back 2 days later fixed.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 08:57 AM

Yeah... that's it...scream and yell and get them all flustered and pissed. After all.. they're just going to be the ones fixing your Mac that is almost out of warranty. Yep... I want the guy fixing my puter to be rushed and hurried and have his manager breathing down his neck.

Exercise some patience Padawan.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 09:28 AM

I didn't scream or yell at them. I was rather polite. I find it easier to get my way if I'm polite, but letting them know that I am a bit frustrated.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 10:29 AM

Ahhh.. OK. I guess I read this part
WTF. Is this Dell Store I'm calling??
...and made an assumption... my bad.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/17/09 02:06 PM

That's what went through my mind. smile

5pm and still no call....I bet it'll be ready Saturday.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 02:50 PM

Got the iMac back.

So far here are the problems I'm having:
1) Applications are quitting unexpectedly
Click for full size Click for full size

2) No sound. I get the o with the / through it when I hit the volume

3) Graphics are acting up. This desktop picture is evidence A.

Before
Click for full size

after
Click for full size

It just blinked and went to the After screen.

3) original problem isn't fixed. CF card doesn't mount.

More testing to continue.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 03:36 PM

Here's hoping they will replace the computer with a new one.
Don't they know you're a mod at MacTech?
wink

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 03:43 PM

I didn't scream or yell at them. I was rather polite. I find it easier to get my way if I'm polite, but letting them know that I am a bit frustrated.

Good move John , I know it is a hassle - I would take it back and demand satisfaction .

I think they replaced parts that were really Bum Parts , new parts that was , just were DOAs

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 05:34 PM

hehe...they might soon! :P

A restart takes over a minute:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPMIj2qzYsY[/video]

my appointment is for 9am tomorrow.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 06:14 PM

shocked Yeah, that's a little more than a PRAM zap or cache cleaning needed.

Looks like that board wasn't rebuilt quite right.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 07:22 PM

They said that I could drop it off. Uh, I don't think so. they are going to hear everything that's wrong with it.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 07:26 PM

John your warranty is still - good

Drop it off

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/18/09 07:49 PM

nope, because I want to show them what's wrong.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/19/09 06:57 AM

Well, the original problem may be snow leopard afterall
Posted by: trey

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/19/09 07:03 AM

I doubt that. I've got it running on an iMac just like that at work.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/19/09 07:38 AM

Do you have a Microtek FireWire compact flash card reader?

I only have 1 mac here running snow leopard. When I tested it at the Apple store this morning, their MacBook running SL had the same problem: mounts 1st time ok, but after that, forget it

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/19/09 11:42 AM

Oho! It finally just dawned on me that I have had the exact same problem... getting cards to mount... either FW or USB. I have 3 readers on my desk right now. The latest I just got.. it's a Kingston and everything mounts ASAP. Other readers... I have to keep trying repeatedly before they will mount. This problem predates Snow Leopard for me though.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/19/09 11:45 AM

Here is a post where I am complaining about Flash drives/cards not mounting.....
http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php...blem#Post383392

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/20/09 07:39 AM

Well, where the heck was I when you posted that? huh.

And now I have more problems thanks to the Apple store. Which Kingston did you end up getting?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/20/09 05:56 PM

This one.

I wonder if it is an Apple thing because I routinely discuss computer tech stuff with my neighbor who is an IT guy for a company that imports botanicals. Anyways when I described the issue he stated that he had the exact same sporadic non-mounting issues with PCs.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 08:57 AM

Called this morning to the Apple Store to check on status. They were going to do a diagnostic check on it Saturday and gave me a 1-3 day fix.

I figure with Christmas coming up, that things may get busy there so I wanted to make sure mine was seen.

Guy told me that mine was 1st on list to check things out this morning. Uh...I thought they did that Saturday? And yesterday they were open too. Shouldn't they have all the diagnostic done by today and parts ordered if necessary??

So I asked if I could speak with the tech guy. The guy on phone said that he would have him call me as soon as he got in at 10am.

It's now almost noon with no call.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 01:52 PM

1230pm and they finally called....with no information for me except to tell me that they will call me by 5pm with a status check call.

Apparently the hardware test they use must run 24 hours, same with the software test, because they were supposed to get all their data today. The guy did tell me that the hardware test showed nothing.

I did find out something today when I called AppleCare. Apparently with Applecare you can have a technician come to your house to do the repair! In fact, you don't send in an iMac, they send someone out.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 02:39 PM

I'd like to see that in writing on the Apple site. Not that I do not believe you John. I have read it in other forums. Here is one from MacRumors:

If you can't go to an Apple Store or and Apple Authorized repair center you can request Applecare to send you a box to have your computer shipped off to a repair depot OR you can request Applecare to send an authorized technician to your house to perform service on your computer. These services are free of charge however you must make it clear to Apple that you are ABSOLUTELY unable to bring your computer to either an Apple Store or Apple Authorized repair center.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 02:43 PM

He told me that if I didn't want to take it to the store I could get one, but we'll see how this goes.

I called the apple store and wouldn't you know...they were JUST now opening up my iMac to replace the logic board...again. Amazing how I timed that eh? I probably should have called earlier and then by now they would be testing it again after "fixing" it. Oh...and what's even more amazing is that they got the logic board in...just as i called! They were opening the box as we spoke. Amazing! Since the lead tech told me at lunchtime that they won't order any parts until after the tests were checked out.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 03:56 PM

I find it highly plausible that they just got the mobo in as you called... since you called every 5 minutes the odds were very good that would happen! LOL...

jk... I know it gets crazy waiting for your Mac to come home....

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 04:20 PM

Ha yeah, I may be a pain in the butt, but I don't want to let it sit there
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 04:22 PM

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 04:22 PM

It might get lonely, right?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/21/09 06:38 PM

that's right!

So the new logic board seems to be working, but the sound hasn't been resolved. They will probably order a new sound board or something.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/23/09 12:23 PM

And now it's home. Everything is fixed except for my original problem. The guy said it was my user account. So...I'll probably do a fresh clean install of 10.6 after the holidays.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/23/09 04:18 PM

And now it's home. Everything is fixed except for my original problem. The guy said it was my user account. So...I'll probably do a fresh clean install of 10.6 after the holidays.

Ahh..it's good to be home and warm my bones by the fire...

LOL.

Have you switched to another account and verified that?

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/23/09 05:25 PM

yup..and they were wrong. Of course, it could be SL and my CF card reader. I'm getting the one you got.

Re: Time to get my firewire port fixed - 12/24/09 01:14 AM

I put some files on a card 2 days ago... went to work and could not get it to mount on our card reader at work. A Sandisk card on a Sandisk reader. The card was 4 GBs and the reader has read cards that size before. I came home and plugged it in to the card reader here that was used to place the files on it... and it read it just fine.
Go figure.