looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc

Posted by: iBookdude458

looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/05/09 10:22 AM

I'm looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc daughter card to upgrade my QS.

I'm starting a recording business because from what my friends tell me that the recordings I make are amazing and that I could make money off it, so I am.

My main machine for this my Powermac G5 seeing as it laughs at Logic 8 (even when I have like 20+ plugins run at once its still only take 20% of each CPU core)

My iBook is too slow to run logic and record 8 tracks at once so the logical choice is just take the G5 and my gear to the client's rehearsal space but I much rather not move around this machine considering it is very large and my main computer.

I have a Powermac G4 Quicksilver with two 40 gigs 1.25 gigs of ram and a 733MHZ CPU.

I want to put a dual one GHZ card in there so that I may run Logic to record onto that computer then transfer the data to the G5 for mixing and mastering.

so does anyone have on be of these for trading?

where can I get one for a reasonable price?
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/05/09 12:35 PM

I wonder if you would be better off selling it and getting a used MacBook. They are a lot more capable for most tasks these days and it sounds like you could use something more portable.

Re: looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/05/09 12:54 PM

my brother has a Macbook Core Duo with 2ghz and it cant do 8 tracks at once
even with garageband.

it might have to do with the fact that he has only 512MB of ram and a slow HD.

My ibook can do 8 tracks at once in logic, but I want something faster than it.
Posted by: TonimusMaximus

Re: looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/05/09 04:40 PM

I've got a 2 gHz MBC2D and it blows my 1.07 gHz iBook out of the water. I've got a 160gb Seagate 7200.2, and 3gb of ram. My iBook has a 160gb Toshiba 5200 and 1.25gb of ram. When I maxed out the ram and added the faster drive to my MB, I got a lot more performance out of it. Without, it seemed to drag.

Re: looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/06/09 02:25 AM

512MB is the bare minimum for Leopard on pretty much any machine, just for day to day stuff. Logic will eat RAM for breakfast and ask for seconds or thirds. If you can get a second gen MacBook or newer, you can get 3 or 4GB in there to play with. You might find it gives the G5 a run for its money then.

Re: looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/06/09 08:50 AM

I don't want to waste cash on a macbook seeing as I plan to purchase a 17 Macbook Pro with 8gigs of ram when Intel's Clarksfield is utilized by apple

Re: looking for a Quicksilver 1GHZ dual proc - 06/06/09 01:56 PM

If you had a practical and capable machine for what you need already, I would say fair enough. But you are going to have to invest something now, and it is going to make you some money (hopefully). The MacBook will not depreciate that much between now and the end of the year, The Quicksilver will not be worth much by then, even with the CPU upgraded.
In business, you don't often have the luxury of waiting for technology that you don't absolutely need. And while Clarksfield would be nice, you can do the things you need without it.