Dead Logic Board?

Posted by: jenn g

Dead Logic Board? - 04/06/09 11:02 AM

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate post for this forum---if not, my apologies.

My Macbook died of a logic board failure a year after the warranty expired. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Apple claims that this was not a "known" issue.

I would like to compile a list of objective information regarding logic board failures (serial number, date of purchase and death, country of purchase, model, etc.). To this end, I have started a Facebook group called "Dead Logic Board (Mac Computers)".

Not sure if anyone would be interested in inputting their information--not even sure if this would have any consequences or results--but just thought I would put this out there just in case....

jenn.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: Dead Logic Board? - 04/07/09 04:41 AM

How dead is it?

Re: Dead Logic Board? - 04/07/09 08:54 PM

Totally dead. Well, they estimated that it would cost $1000 to repair and replace the logic board, so I opted for a new computer. I loved my Macbook and all of the iLife applications, so I purchased another. Perhaps I am asking for it: I guess only time will tell. However, judging from the message boards I have visited in the last year or so, the logic board failure seems to be a persistent problem (though Apple store employees claim that this is a rare problem). Occasionally I wonder if it had something to do with the fan (the logic board failed soon after I finished burning a CD, and my mac did have a tendency to heat up). I noticed that my new macbook has a very different fan than the old one...

Re: Dead Logic Board? - 04/07/09 09:07 PM

Hmmm..Perhaps I should clarify. By 'dead' I mean it would not turn on (no screen activity at all), though the battery indicator seemed to be working normally (as I recall, at least--I could probably plug it in and give it another go). I took it to the Apple store twice (I couldn't quite believe it the first time they told me it was dead, so I went back to get a second opinion), but they said there was nothing they could do, that this just happened sometimes for no apparent reason. Months later I called the Apple line and spoke to someone about "known issues." The spokesdude claimed that there were no known issues that he could see (I'm guessing he was looking to see if my serial number corresponded to other serial numbers of computers with defects). He said that his records indicated that the cause of death was environmental---which blew me away, considering I had not spilled anything on it or exposed it to any liquids. Does death by CD-burning count as an environmental factor?