Power Supply Fan

Posted by: reccos

Power Supply Fan - 03/01/09 04:24 PM

Hey everyone, I had a powersupply die in an old G4 last week so I scavenged it looking for anything that appeared to be of use. I found the power supply fan to be a good candidate. Anyway, it is DV12V .12A Superred fan, if anyone knows how to make this functional (Whether battery or usb) that would be great.
Posted by: ctan

Re: Power Supply Fan - 03/02/09 06:33 PM

What kind of G4? The Digital Audio has the apple display connector that requires more juice and extra pins.
Posted by: reccos

Re: Power Supply Fan - 03/02/09 06:37 PM

Quote:
What kind of G4? The Digital Audio has the apple display connector that requires more juice and extra pins.

No it came out of the power supply, it says 12v .12A.
Posted by: Oelmuvun

Re: Power Supply Fan - 03/03/09 12:12 AM

12v, 0.12A
Those are the power requirements of the fan. You might want to look up the actual brand and model number for some airflow&noise specs though.

Did you just cut the wires or does it have a connector? What do you want to do with it?

The wires should be red and black and with that information you should know how to use it.

Seriously, read some books on the topic if you want to play around with electronics.

And no, you are not going to get very far running the fan off 5v, 500mA (a USB port)
You would be best off running it from a suitable "wall wart"(ad to dc adapter) or the 12v rail of another computer's PSU.

As I said though, actually learn some basics about electricity before you go screwing around with your computers in this manner.