WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboard

Posted by: Antonio

WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboard - 10/12/07 11:01 AM

Hey all, I inadvertently broke the connector on my MacBook's keyboard ribbon cable, and soldering the pins only got the power button working.

SO, I need a new cable, or a borked keyboard.

Lemme know if you have one.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Waragainstsleep

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboard - 10/12/07 11:57 AM

I have tons. Which MacBook? CD or C2D?

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboard - 10/12/07 12:39 PM

I think either will work, but it's the Core Duo model.

And I just need the cable. None of the retail or repair shops seems to have it figured out yet the cable is detachable from the assembly :P

Let me know how much you want for one.
Thanks.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboard - 10/13/07 02:41 AM

The top cases are interchangeable. Not so sure the cables are interchangeable between top cases, never needed to try it. But i have replaced the cables like for like before now. Apple does not sell the cable seperately, thats why resellers won't.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboard - 10/13/07 03:16 AM

Soooo, do you have a cable to sell for the Core Duo?
Posted by: barbarism

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 12/10/07 08:55 AM

Yes, same here. If anyone knows where to source this cable! Looks like I may need to buy an entire top case, which includes the cable, according to the dealers. Crazy...hundreds of dollars for a ten dollar part.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 12/10/07 11:24 AM

Hundreds of dollars for a top case? Man, thats steep. Yes I can get you a cable. Core Duo or Core 2?

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 12/11/07 08:43 AM

Man...that would have been awesome but, I just closed out a sale on an entire top case for $140. I should have checked this post before I closed it out but...oh well. Thanks anyway. I'll definitely take that cable if there is problem though.

How are you able to source the cables btw? I've called everywhere and they all say that the cable isn't available.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 12/11/07 08:47 AM

Also, is there a difference between the core duo and core 2 duo cable? I have a 2 duo. I hope this cable with this top case will work.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 12/11/07 11:08 AM

The entire top case can be swapped freely between any MacBook, but the cables are different so the cable from Core Duo case will not physically connect to a Core 2.
I'm an Apple technician and the Core Duo top cases were prone to turning yellow, the core 2s can crack along the front edge. The faulty parts do not have to be returned to Apple if they are replaced (under warranty or otherwise), unlike logic boards or more expensive bits. Consequently we have a few of them lying about which are perfectly functional but cosmetically imperfect. I guess most repair centres throw all theirs out. I'm a bit of a hoarder......
Posted by: Mikeyullinger

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 01/18/08 05:25 PM

The front edge of my Core 2 Duo is cracked. Is that covered?

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 01/19/08 08:48 AM

Yep. Should be.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 01/19/08 09:51 AM

Yessssssssssssssss. It's mostly a cosmetic thing, but one of the cracks is really deep and I'm worried about stuff getting into the case, esp. when I clean my computer.
Posted by: eman48451

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 01/20/08 07:16 PM

Hi all,
I'm looking for a couple of keyboard connectors for a macbook core 2 duo. Waragainstsleep can you sell me a couple two or three connectors. Send me an email.
Thanks

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 01/27/08 04:35 PM

I got my MacBook back from the GeniusBar. It's in perfect order. It's actually really nice, I walked in with a slip of paper and walked out with two Macs (my dad bought a Mac Pro while we were there).
Posted by: jamesmccain

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 02/04/08 08:39 AM

Waragainstsleep,

I was wondering if you still have a keyboard/trackpad cable (ribbon), I have a Black Macbook (not that the color matters) Core Duo (not 2!) and was wondering if I could get a cable from you?

The part number that reads on the cable is 08G22UD6810A

I am located in Dallas, TX.
how much would you want for a cable?

btw, im pming you.
Posted by: robinmiller

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 02/17/08 07:42 AM

I've been trying to buy a cable from waragainstsleep for several months now. I think he's either gone from the forums or doesn't have any more and isn't responding. :-[

I still have a useless laptop here. I think i'm going to have to buy a whole new top case off eBay just of a tiny cable.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/10/08 08:44 AM

I purchased four keyboard connectors from Waragainstsleep on March 18, 2008 and he has taken the money and not shipped these items. Daniel MaCarthy (waragainstsleep) sent me a Paypal request for the connectors and was paid; once paid I tried to contact him days later about shipment and he has ignored my attempts to contact him via email. Caveat Emptor for the user waragainstsleep.

Quote:
I've been trying to buy a cable from waragainstsleep for several months now. I think he's either gone from the forums or doesn't have any more and isn't responding.

The user waragainstsleep is still around, he just logged in 4-09-2008. I wouldn't bother with this member.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/11/08 12:32 PM

My bad, I've been crazy busy lately and had a few things on my mind. And my yahoo account is maintained for the purpose of my eBay and paypal accounts so anything sent there takes me days to notice.

Enough lame excuses, I've been trying to get to a PO for the last fortnight. I have your cables in my bag which I take everywhere. I am REALLY going to try and post them tomorrow. I will throw in a couple of extra cables by way of an apology. Do you need any keys or anything? How much RAM do you have?
Posted by: bandit7

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/13/08 08:11 AM

Hello Waragainstsleep,

The orange Keyboard/Backlight Ribbon Cable of my 15" MBP 2.5G Core 2 Duo is broken. While changing to another keyboard I peeled it too strong and the attached Temp sensor IC came off.

Can you provide this cable which also has three connectors to the Bluetooth module and others on it?

Anyone else changing keyboards make sure you peel the cable including the black protection pad which keeps the chip in place.
Posted by: dnachev

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/27/08 06:23 AM

Hi,

Does the apple guy still ships ribbon cables for MacBook keyboards? I was amazed how easily it tear off and now I can't even power on my MacBook:( It is white, the first Santa Rosa model (MacBook 3,1).

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/27/08 07:11 AM

Yeah, I still have some.
Posted by: lupylu

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/29/08 08:23 AM

Hi Waragainstsleep I was wondering if I could possibly purchase a macbook core2duo ribbon cable from you, I have been searching for days to find one.
Kind Regards
Lupylu
Posted by: dnachev

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/29/08 09:12 AM

I wonder, Waragainstsleep, did you manage to ship the cables, some guys above were complaining about?

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/29/08 01:29 PM

I was about to and then Paypal retracted the payment. I even offered him a material apology, but he didn't answer me so no I didn't bother. It was entirely my fault, I just took too long to retrieve all the cables from my stack of busted top cases and he lost patience.

I hasten to add it was only that one guy, not guys plural. Others have had these cables in the past from me, and I still have the ones I gathered for him (plus plenty more) so I will not take so long again.

TBH, I do it to help people out, not make cash so I tend not to rush, especially when I'm busy at work. I really only charge to cover postage.

But let me know if you want some.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/30/08 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: "dnachev"
I wonder, Waragainstsleep, did you manage to ship the cables, some guys above were complaining about?

No, I never received the cables after paying with PayPal. Waragainstsleep was supposed to ship them on April 11, 2008 by his own admission (I paid by PayPal in mid March) and as of today the cables are still a no show. I had to do a PayPal chargeback to get a refund when all my emails went unanswered and the item never showed.

Originally Posted By: "waragainstsleep"
I was about to and then Paypal retracted the payment. I even offered him a material apology, but he didn't answer me so no I didn't bother. It was entirely my fault, I just took too long to retrieve all the cables from my stack of busted top cases and he lost patience.

I hasten to add it was only that one guy, not guys plural. Others have had these cables in the past from me, and I still have the ones I gathered for him (plus plenty more) so I will not take so long again.

TBH, I do it to help people out, not make cash so I tend not to rush, especially when I'm busy at work. I really only charge to cover postage.

But let me know if you want some.

I paid $26 for four macbook keyboard cables that can be shipped for less than $2; it doesn't help people when an item is paid and not shipped and no emails. He did email me later after I posted in these forums, I was unsure at that point. If he had sent the items I would have paid him.

Waragainstsleep wanted me to trust him and pay after he sent me a PayPal money request, which I payed in good faith; as you can see he doesn't trust other people. He could just send the item and wait to see if I pay him. After all he's only doing "it to help people out".

At this point I'm not sure what to think about this individual, he hasn't followed through with one thing he said he was going to do. This is not how you "help people out" and it looks like you also "make cash", which I think is fine.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/09/08 09:07 AM

I did receive the macbook keyboard connectors. All tested fine and Waragainstsleep has been paid. All my doubts have been laid to rest and so should yours, this member can deliver.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/09/08 12:02 PM

Best regards. Hopefully we can all be friends now....

War
Posted by: bradenex

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/22/08 11:37 AM

War,

I am looking for a 08g22ud6810m cable for my Macbook 13", do you have one I could buy? Thanks,

Bradenex
Posted by: Havocist

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 07/03/08 08:03 AM

I also need a cable connecting the top case to the main board for a MBP Core 2 Duo. Got any left?
Posted by: nomore1007

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 08/17/08 02:54 PM

I have a Macbook Core2 Duo that I broke the ribbon cable under the battery on. Can some one help?
Posted by: atticus182

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 09/12/08 08:37 AM

Hey Waragainstsleep,

I have a problem. I succesfully repaired my MacBook after someone threw beer over it. I spent 2 days repairing it, and when I finally did, the ribbon cable connecting my keyboard to the MoBo broke into two.. Now I have read on these forums that you might have one of these cables! I would really want to buy one from you.. I could pay you through PayPal smile The ribbon i'm looking for has the serial number 08g22ud6810a . Do you have one for me???

Greetings,
Anton Post
Posted by: techspeak1

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 10/05/08 06:14 PM

Have you considered looking on ebay or amazon?
Posted by: LV426

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 12/04/08 08:51 AM

Hello! I too would like to purchase a keyboard cable - are these still available?
Posted by: androidpage

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/08/09 04:31 PM

Hi,
I have a macbook with a damaged keyboard ribbon cable, it is a core duo, the cable is a browny color rather than silver. Does anybody have one they could sell me?
Thanks
Posted by: eris23007

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 04/19/09 08:46 PM

I too am in need of 08g22ud6810m. This is an orange-colored ribbon cable which connects the keyboard/trackpad assembly to the motherboard.

A few pins got pulled off of the cable when I removed it from the case to examine the mainboard when it wouldn't power up. I'm guessing that it already had a connection problem and that's why it wouldn't power up. Unfortunately I do not have any other keyboard with a power button on it that would allow me to test my theory (sad face)...

Anyway, if anyone has an extra, I am interested in buying it...
Posted by: mateo_j

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/10/09 06:53 PM

Hello! I know this is a old post but I was wondering if anyone still has one of these cables handy? mine became irritated with me after a HD replacement. I would be more then willing to buy or trade/buy for it. Thank you for any and all help.

Macbook Pro 2.16 (CD) 15"

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/14/09 01:53 PM

Anyone?

War are you still around?

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/22/09 02:42 PM

Bump smile

Posted by: baar01

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 05/25/09 10:29 PM

Hey War,

If you still have some of these cables I would love to grab one off you. I have a MBP C2D. If this is possible please email me on baar01 [at] gmail [dott] com.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/08/09 02:47 PM

Anyone have any luck finding one of these?

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/08/09 03:57 PM

I'll look through my stash tomorrow.

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/09/09 11:42 AM

Dude, you would forever be my hero!

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/10/09 11:57 AM

Forgot to add my email : [url=mailto:mateo_j@yahoo.com]mailto:mateo_j@yahoo.com[/url]
Posted by: Outragexl10

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/11/09 09:05 PM

I was fixing my super drive in my Santa Rosa Macbook and I broke my keyboard cable.

The keyboard it's self is in good condition and I don't need it replaced though the front is cracked on the front (but I'm out of warranty... oh well)

I need only one keyboard ribbon cable and I will pay the shipping and whatever is needed...

I'm in college and I'm short on cash and DESPERATELY!!! need my Macbook to work

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/12/09 05:52 PM

Outrage, Apple should cover the top case even OOW if it has splintering edges along the front or sides. As long as there is no other sign of damage.

Mateo, I found a complete top case but it is on our stock and not cheap. I probably have a dented one somewhere, but its in a building I don't have regular access to. I'll check when I get the chance.
Posted by: Outragexl10

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 06/14/09 01:16 AM

I didn't know they would replace it even out of warranty... thats good news to hear!

I ordered a keyboard cable off of ebay for cheap so I should be back in working order in two days! ill post how it all goes including the trip to my local apple store for a case replacement.

wonder if I can get it black? haha
Posted by: photovore

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 08/07/09 05:55 PM

hiya

i took apart a macbook, intel core duo, in order to address the random shutdown issue. don't see any obvious short in the heatsink / temp sensor bundle.

i did, however, exercise neglect when separating the case, and the little light-brown plug at the end of the orange cable just popped apart. four of the ten pins were still soldered to the ribbon; the other six remained in the plug (which had remained in the socket).

i am going to attempt a soldering fix. wish me luck; i don't have a stereo microscope but i do have various lenses. and, the tip of my smallest soldering iron is _almost_ small enough.

if this fails, i shall indeed be looking to pick up one of those cables. 08g22ud6810m is the part number. it's not obvious how the other end(s) of the cable are to be freed, but if it comes to that i'll find out.

no request at this time, unless Waragainstsleep has an ebay page, whose location i'd like to know on general principles. i suppose i thought this story might be entertaining to some readers.

that is all.
Posted by: chocfudge024

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 09/21/09 06:51 AM

Hi Waragainstsleep,

Do u still have the macbook 13" 2007 model "keyboard ribbon cable"? in need very urgently. I broke it while removing the keyboard. now i can't switch on my mac.. Bump!!!

KC :'(
Posted by: bensonkhoind

Re: WTB: MacBook Keyboard Ribbon Cable or Defunct MacBook Keyboa - 10/11/09 09:57 PM

Hi Waragainstsleep,

Do u still have the macbook 13" 2007 model "keyboard ribbon cable"?
The part number is08G22ud6810A.
I am in Indonesia, can you ship for me?

Thanks
Benson